Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it worth it? (2001 Corolla in UK)

• 20-03-2010 1:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I want to upgrade my 98 Corolla to a slightly more modern / tidy version. I have fallen in love with Corollas especially the 97-02 flavour (yes I'm sick and need help).

Probelm is that they are very over priced, I am regularly finding 2000 and 2001 versions for 4k!!!!!!

Found this car in London
    http://www.gumtree.com/london/25/55403125.html

VRT would be €570
    Expenses say €400
    Total €2640

Bear in mind the high spec, low milage and history. I have looked at load sin Ireland but none like htis. Is it worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

You're pretty much nuts when you can get more or less the same in ireland for around the same money or less

http://carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=513719&r=s.php%3Fm%3D88%26amp%3Bo%3D730%26amp%3Bg%3D0

Edit, what higher spec is on the uk version compared to the irish? It wouldn't be worth the hassle for a lower mileage car. If you look after a car, it will look after you, regardless of it's mileage.

you should get one here for less than 2 and a half, i would consider it less than necessary to ferry one in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Point taken lads but

Jaffa, I have already seen that one, it has 3 previos owners and 120,000 miles, no service history or record, no air con etc, also yours is a 2000, not 2001 so not comparing lke with like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Its just not worth it IMO. Just wait a bit & something will turn up here.

Seriously going all the way over to london to buy an 1800 euro car? Think of the time, effort, money & inevitable stress involved in the transaction.

yea I guess you're right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Your going to be talking close to €500 in expenses with flights, ferry and fuel and then the dreaded VRT on top of that to import it, then after you do get it in when it's 10 years old which is next year you will have to bring it for it's annual NCT, bear in mind that once you get it here there's no guarantee something massive wont be wrong with it that would make it uneconomical to repair. It's a massive risk going to to UK for a low priced car like this with no guarantees, only way I would consider it was if I was purchasing it from a friend and it was some extra special edition that was going to hold it's value, I can't see you having any demand for this car should you seek to offload it anywhere down the line. I would look around for a car here first, as perhaps a 2nd option you could look at getting one in Northern Ireland where your expenses will be lower and you would only be taking about a couple of hours drive to look at try on www.usedcarsni.com or www.autotrader.ie

I did but many thanks

Advertisement