Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sentimental Value

• 20-03-2010 2:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭

I found socks that had holes in them behind my wardrobe today and they brought back a funny memory.

One day when I was about 11 I put on these socks. I went downstairs and my mother saw them and said, "Jesus, those socks are terrible. Throw them away". I took them off, walked into the kitchen and held them above the bin. I held them and looked at them. Poor helpless socks. I couldn't do it. I couldn't throw away the socks, I actually felt bad for them. :o

So I ran upstairs and hid them. I suppose they had a slight sentimental value for me for whatever reason. I used to wear them a lot.

I've seen this recurring for me. There are many things which I can't throw away. I could easily throw away the big things that I use everyday but I can't dispose of the little things that make up my life. For me these things hold a lot of sentimental value. They all have their own stories (what?).

So as you can see I'm a very sentimental person.

This all got me thinking and I'd like to know what you value and are you sentimentally attached to anything?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Great idea for a thread :)

I have many things to say on this topic, and will give a full response some time tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'm guilty of keeping incredibly useless junk for sentimental or potentially useful reasons. If I think that something might be useful some day, I'll keep it regardless of how likely it'll come in handy or how useful it could be.

As a result the warddrobe in my room is packed with absolutely useless ****, including pass-downs from the 80s. Over the years I was ordered to clean it out several times and I only ever threw away anything that wasn't mine but made it in there.

I still have one of my maths test from 6th class in there (98% :pac:). Copies filled with doodles I did in primary school too.

I like keeping junk though, good for remembering times I'd completely forgotten about, no matter how boring they are. I'm fairly sure I have a rock in there for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

My grandad's watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

A hardback where I wrote all my English essays for the LC. I did awful in English, but my teacher's comments for each essay are hiliarious (to me anyways). Brings back good times.

My tickets that I won for the World Cup quarter finals in 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Can't say I look past an object's practical applications really, although not being horrible to look at is a very, very distant second if that's an option, and it doesn't affect practicality much.

I never really "got" the whole sentimentality thing tbh, although I never quite "got" poetry or art either, so my opinion on this is pretty invalid. >.>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Can't say I look past an object's practical applications really, although not being horrible to look at is a very, very distant second if that's an option, and it doesn't affect practicality much.

I never really "got" the whole sentimentality thing tbh, although I never quite "got" poetry or art either, so my opinion on this is pretty invalid. >.>
    Well if you really want to understand it, think of how Batman has everything.

Part of the reason Batman has everything is because he never gets rid of anything (and also because he's Batman). Everything is useful is some way and Batman knows it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Love this idea, mainly because I find it very difficult to get rid of things. I've a feeling I'll be posting a lot in this thread as various things come to mind! :)

Off the top of my head, I've some notebooks a friend and I used to pass back and forth between each other at school (she did TY while I skipped into 5th year so we didn't get enough time to talk). I read over them now and again, they're so full of silly little in-jokes we had, various things that were going on in our life that were SO important at the time (obsessing over boys, the usual gossip, complaining about bitchy types, the usual! :P).. It reminds me of how close we were then, and how I really wish we weren't such different people now. >.<

And now this thread has made me sad! :( I'll have to look for some happy things I've kept..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

great thread,I'll be wandering through here a fair bit.I'm a big sentimental softy at heart.

as of now,I have my wallet,it's pretty f*cked the inside that separates the pockets for you're cards is ripped so they can move.But,it used to belong to my brother and in a weird way I always think it's like carrying a little piece of him with me everyday,even more so now I'm in college.On the one hand I simply have more use for the wallet[student card,travel card etc.] but on the other,It's one thing I always wondered was what he was like away in college,I know I'm quite a different person since I moved away,I just wonder what was he like?.

I remember losing it about a week after I got it,It had slipped out of my pocket and under the seat in our car,I practically stripped the car trying to find it,I wouldn't let it go.I really think that if I ever lose this wallet/it gets robbed I'll pay any amount of money for it back,for me anyway it means more than the money in it is ever going to be worth.

there is more,but I'll leave that for another day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Oh love this idea! :)

Well there are lots of things I'd never want to get rid of, but like a year ago my mam made me give my room a really big tidy and all of the stuff in the wardrobes had to come out and she made me get rid of the useless stuff :(
    What held [past tense] sentimental value for me were my old stuff from primary school, like copies, books etc. Each page brings back a new memory, and I've forgotten so many. I took it for granted at the time, but primary school really was such a nice time. I'd love to go back for just a day to remember. I wish I still had the copies, full of whatever work we were doing which is miles away in difficulty as to what I do now, and of teacher's comments and notes from friends.
    I'm all nostalgic now..:o good times, good times .
    More later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

I used to have so much old stuff that I wouldn't throw out accumulated over many years. Then about two years ago, I cleaned out my room, and threw out almost everything. I have to say, it felt good not holding on to too many things. I kept a handful of things which I'd never throw out. I reckon it's better to be sentimental for a few small things than an entire roomful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

All-Ireland Final programme '07. Probably one of the best days of my life to actually be at it supporting your own county.
    Maybe for a Kilkenny or Cork person you'd know that you'd be there at least once or twice in a decade but going to Croke Park when I was just 13 supporting Limerick, that was special.

Also have a small clown teddy called Lucky. His back is all patches of different fabric and stitched up because I threw him in the fire when I was 1 so my nana had to stitch him all up. I also cut his hair off. But I still sleep with him :) Really love the little guy even if I am 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

I was at that final too actually, I reckon the programme must be lying around somewhere as one of the things I kept. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

My walls are full of Dublin tickets,concert tickets, cinema tickets and play tickets along with lots of posters and even more pictures of me and my friends throughout the years. I have shelves filled with trophies, medals and souvenirs from the places i've been and just random things i've kept along the years. Then I have other places I keep my reflective journal from TY and all the embarrassing little diaries i used to have. I guess you could say I was a little sentimental :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I love keeping things that are keys to special memories.

I have a box with all the stuff I kept from TY in it. That was such a special year in my life. I made some amazing friends and sort of became me. Before I was very very shy and that year changed me. In my box I have tickets, photographs, t-shirts, a flag, dried flowers... Just a collection of bits and pieces that represent that year for me. Everything in that box has a different memory attached to it. I think now having left school it's even more important. With us all drifting apart it's even more special to be able to remember that year and school in general so well. I love that box of tricks sooo much.

My two favourite teddy bears are under my bed. I have a tenner from my First Holy Communion. I was adament growing up that this was given to me by my Grandad who died a while after it. Looking back now it's probably highly unlikely that this was the actual one he gave when I was getting tenners left, right and centre that day but to me it'll always be the one he gave me. I keep a lot of birthday cards too.

I have a lot of stuff with sentimental value attached, just can't really think of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I used to get a tad sentimental over trainers, as I would have fond memories of all the fun soccer matches I had played with them. I sort of regarded them as my faithful instruments of torture in the world of backyard headers and volleys, so when they were eventually smelly enough to be declared a health threat and thrown away, it was like commending a pair of old friends to the ages. And now that's conjured up images of key-hole testicle surgery, and I'm cringing a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

I have a rag doll called Maggie which I refuse to throw out(or wash) even though she looks like she has aids. I also keep all my earings for some reason, I mean if I lose one I'll put the other in a box....I've kind've got an earing orphanage going on. I like to think they know that I still love them:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I try and nab mementoes from happy days - my room here is full of posters of stuff I've been to (latest being the animé screenings yesterday :)), gig tickets, cinema tickets, mugs, doodles people have drawn for me, an advertisement DVD from Beshoff's chipper (it's really good), and the card my family got me when I was offered my college place. I love stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'm very sentimental, I used to keep a kind of diary thing where for about a year I'd write everything I did that day, and keep things from it and stick them in, so I still have that.
    Then I've a box of other stuff under my bed, that has some sort of meaning to it, some of it is just cinema tickets, boarding passes and cards but they all mean a lot to me. I think that's probably be one of the things I'd save if there was a fire or whatever.

My walls are ridiculously filled with sentimental stuff. I have so much photos, I love having photos of my friends everywhere, reminds me of fun days, so my walls are covered in them, and also little drawings and stuff people have given me. I also have a drawer full of old notes and letters me and my friends used to write to each other, read them a while ago and they're hilarious.
    I also have pretty much every gig ticket I've been to on my wall (24 at the moment), although there's 3 or 4 I don't have any more. Then I have posters, and flyers I "acquired" on nights out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Was only talking to a friend about such yesterday...I have a folder on my phone in which I keep cute text messages, and ones that just make me smile sometimes....go back to it and have a look if I'm in need of cheering up!

I used to keep a diary- Strange for a guy probably...stopped a few years ago as I prompted myself for a change of lifestyle...but I have a small box full of them- also with them have letters people have sent me...some of those people I've lost contact with sadly. I've even kept cinema tickets and things from when I was an angsty 14 year old from when I'd have good days out...How things have changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

*bump*

My kings of leon drumsticks....can't believe I have them and if the guy who got me them is working at Oxegen again this year he said he'll get me Arcade Fire one's aswell, happy days!:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I have a blue stuffed toy dog thing named "Leeeeeeroy" from when I was 2. Clearly forseeing my future internet addiction. He is awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I still have my tracksuit jumper from sixth class, that all the other kids signed on the last day. It's weird, I never see/talk to most of these people now but it seems like we were great friends back then.
    There's the teddy I've had since I was born as well, I'll still have that if I live to be a hundred. And all the usual stuff, like concert tickets, plane tickets, photos of friends, birthday cards....
    Oh, and I have a folder for cute messages too, just for when I need cheering up.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 esio trot

My penis, I know it sounds stupid but over the years I have become rather attached to my phallictic(not sure if there is such a word) friend. We've had some good times together, like when we saw Halle Berry in the nip for the first time or when we got excited at the beach in France and caused quite a stir...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

I had never really thought of myself as the sentimental type...but I must be since I never throw anything out. Actually that might be sheer laziness.

I have kept all my diaries. I have a Winnie the Pooh one that my best friend gave me after I moved away when I was seven. None of it makes sense as I was a crap speller but its funny to look at.

I also keep all my cinema tickets.

Oh, and I still have a my bag from my first communion stuffed with prayer books and even the fancy socks I had to wear that day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I have a crappy blue and grey cross I wear for luck sometimes,it looks pretty awful I'd say [cost about 5 quid in argos years ago] on a glorified plug chain,but it was the only cross in the house for my brothers wake and it's what we used to put in is hands in the coffin,it was also the last thing he "held" in his hands,it means a lot to me,I'd say a fair few people think I'm just too cheap/think it looks cool,but feck it I feel better for having it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I've a drawer full of 'memories' at home - birthday cards, concert tickets, newspaper articles about the LC results and our grad, letters from ministers & TDs, my All-Ireland programmes and number, some TY projects, wristbands from various events, readings from my Grandad's funeral etc. etc. I've also got all my diaries from when I was about 11 until now aswell as some stuff I wrote for school when I was alot younger.

I've a shoebox full of letters that a girl wrote to me when I was in 6th year. There's dozens and dozens of them and they remind me of all that she went through at the time, and give me hope when I look at how well she is now. I have stuff that I wrote in secondary school aswell, those 'letters to the future me' things - we did them in TY and at the start of LC and got them back at our grad mass. Eh, what else? Oh, still have my shirt and tie that everyone signed in 6th year.

Even though I don't compete anymore, I'm still keeping my dancing costume. It wasn't my first dress but it was my first custom-made proper solo dress and I absolutely love it. I did try to sell it but tbh my heart wasn't in it. It's a reminder to me of my amazing dancing career and I want to keep it forever :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

*bump*

My kings of leon drumsticks....can't believe I have them and if the guy who got me them is working at Oxegen again this year he said he'll get me Arcade Fire one's aswell, happy days!:)

Jealous doesnt explain how I feel!!! Any chance your friend can get me a piece of John Mayer ;) I'll happily take a guitar pick or even just cut off some of his hair or something.. omg thats really weird actually :pac:.. anywho I'll PM you my address ;):D

haha..

Loads of this "junk" fills my room.. covered in Match tickets from over the years and concert tickets, autographs, photos, letters, stickers, TY things.. Im awful for old shoes aswell.. cant throw them out.. or bits of newspapers that I liked, ads or articles or whatever.. this Summer after the exams Im going to clear my room out and actaully organise this stuff! :) yay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Hotaru wrote: »
    I've a shoebox full of letters that a girl wrote to me when I was in 6th year. There's dozens and dozens of them and they remind me of all that she went through at the time, and give me hope when I look at how well she is now. I have stuff that I wrote in secondary school aswell, those 'letters to the future me' things - we did them in TY and at the start of LC and got them back at our grad mass. Eh, what else? Oh, still have my shirt and tie that everyone signed in 6th year.

Reminds me I do have (somewhere, maybe lost), a bunch of letters I got from a pen-pal-esque girl from Canada a couple of years ago, usually just boring **** we'd write in class or something, since we would talk online anyway.
    Not sure if that counts as sentimental, but some of the letters were pretty funny and I just saw no reason to get rid of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Cleaning out my room, I found a picture of me and my class in 1st class.
    Had to laugh at some people. They've changed so much. And I completely forgot about others as well.
    I was some sweaty little red-faced child anyways :pac:
    Ah, good times. Deserves to be framed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

I'm big into things of sentimental value. I have 3 memory boxes at home which contain random things from my childhood. Around 5 diarys and then random pages I've scribbled on amongst other random things I've kept.

Advertisement