Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sentimental Value

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I keep EVERYTHING that has any sentimental value to me. Im in the middle of cleaning out my room right now but i have a shelf for all sortsa things that i have no intention of getting rid of....plane tickets, match tickets, cinema tickets, holiday souvenirs, anything that reminds me of someone that i cared about, birthday cards, congrats cards, letters about school/college, results sheets, the programmes from funerals of people i was close to, letters from friends, team sheets and newspaper articles from badminton matches...the list goes on and on. Im a major hoarder :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I keep concert tickets.

I also have a massive Manchester United book I created with some friends in primary school gathering dust somewhere. Haven't actually looked at it in years though - I'm afraid of how terrible my handwriting was back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

WARNING: GAH-SPEAK FOR A WHILE :P

Every programme to every GAA match I've ever been to is upstairs in the bottom drawer in my bedroom, but there are two programmes that really stand out for me. The first is from the 1998 All-Ireland hurling semi-final between Waterford and Kilkenny. I was 8 at the time and it was the first match I ever went to. We lost by a single point, 1-11 to 1-10, but little did I know then it would be the start of a pretty unbelievable 10 year journey with the hurlers.

The second is from the very same match nearly 10 years to the day, the 2008 AI semi against Tipperary. It was our 6th semifinal since 1998 and we had lost every single one of them. I had been to all of them bar one, the 04 semi against Kilkenny when I ended up watching it at 8am in an Orlando pub. We lost by 3 points and I cried for pretty much the rest of that day. We still had 5 days before we went home but, as silly as it sounds, it ruined the rest of the holiday for me.

But getting back to the point, the moment that final whistle went in the Tipp match was one of the greatest moments of my life. Having that programme reminds me of that, and sometimes I like to put the 98 and 08 programmes beside each other just to think about what an unbelievable 10 years of ups and downs it had been as a Waterford hurling supporter. I've got the programme from the 08 final against Kilkenny upstairs as well, and hopefully sometime in the future I'll get to make the same comparison with the programme from the day we win the All-Ireland :)

END GAH-SPEAK

Advertisement