Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iain M Banks

• 20-03-2010 2:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Hi I posted this is Literature ... maybe it was the wrong place, no replies ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055857727

Basically ... what would people recommend of his work ?

Culture series or a stand alone ? ... I have been looking at reading
    The Algebraist ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The Culture series definitely. You really don't need to read them in any order although I would recommend reading Consider Phlebas first and it is the first book in the Culture series. I think his best is Use of Weapons. I think it's the third in sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 suiecyco

Has to be the Culture series. You have to read them all in order. My favourite is Look to Windward. favourite line, "You do not **** with the Culture"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Iain M is the biz.
    +1 to what Skryke said
    "The State of the Art" is a collection of short stories, many of which are about the Culture and spell out some things about it that are not made explicit elsewhere.
    ie Earth's relationship to the Culture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

OK guys thanks a lot !!!

I still wanna give the ALgebraist a go .... i read some good reviews ... anyone here recommend it ?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I didn't like it that much, one of his weaker ones imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

With respect to the above poster, I think the Algebraist is incredible. My favourite Iain and Iain M book and the only sci fi one I've read three times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I (unwittingly) started back to front with Matter...loved it. I picked up the first a while back and sort of started it, but it didn't really suck me in as strongly as Matter did. I'll have to get back to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I liked "Against a Dark Background"

"Song of stone" (Witten as Iain Banks) Is a great book.
    Really liked his use of language in that one.

Must read some more of his books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

I find the culture series very varied. Loved the earlier ones, especially Player of Games & Use of Weapons. Wasn't too impressed with Excession and gave up on Inversions.
    +1 also for Against a Dark Background

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

suiecyco wrote: »
    Has to be the Culture series. You have to read them all in order.
    I don't think they need to be read in order at all. I'd actually recommend Player of Games as a starting point.

Use of Weapons is my favourite. Didn't care for Excession much, tbh.
    Against a Dark Background was a cracking read too.

• Advertisement

the_monkey wrote: »
    OK guys thanks a lot !!!

I still wanna give the ALgebraist a go .... i read some good reviews ... anyone here recommend it ?

Average ... IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Beeinmybonnet

I quite liked The Business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Beeinmybonnet

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I liked "Against a Dark Background"

"Song of stone" (Witten as Iain Banks) Is a great book.
    Really liked his use of language in that one.

Must read some more of his books.

Yeah, it's a great book, really different. Really reminded me of The Road by Cormac McCarthy, similar style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I've only read "Algebraist" and "Player of Games", but I thought they were both fantastic books, have always mean't to pick up more of his work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Really liked inversions, though i did find it hard to read due to the AI stream of consciousness thingy that it uses

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Reading "Matter" right now. I love the central concept of the ShellWorlds. I'm about 130 pages in and it's got the usual quota of smart writing. Liking it so far.

If you want to read one of his sci-fi books and really have your head screwed with, try "Feersum Endjin", a book written phoenetically. It'll make some of the weaker posters on boards seem like spelling Nazis :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I would advise "The Wasp Factory".

It's one of his earlier books and isn't a sci-fi but it's a cracking read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

ixoy wrote: »
    Reading "Matter" right now. I love the central concept of the ShellWorlds. I'm about 130 pages in and it's got the usual quota of smart writing. Liking it so far.

If you want to read one of his sci-fi books and really have your head screwed with, try "Feersum Endjin", a book written phoenetically. It'll make some of the weaker posters on boards seem like spelling Nazis :)

Only one view point is! I have to admit I actually liked those chapters, they had charm and a fun character.
    Glad to hear Matter is good. I'll be getting to it soon(ish).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So far I have read nothing by Iain M Banks I haven't at least really enjoyed.
    The Culture series is case and point and it's kinda important to read them as they published, as later works sometimes assume you already have an insight into the tech and philosophies of The Culture.
    It's not so much that one is better than another, more that people have their favorites and this is wrapped up in the time they spent reading it, the age they were at the time and so on.
    Certainly Use Of Weapons has a different effect on me now when I read it than it did many years ago when I read it after it was first published, back in 1990, when I was 18 and didn't have quite the understanding of the world that I have now, to put it mildly.

My mate and I more disagree about the worst of his books, I don't have one, although I didn't enjoy Matter as much as the others, he detests Feersum Endjinn which I love from start to finish, especially when you realise what the structure is, love it love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Just finished reading Excession there now and, while it was good and an enjoyable read, I felt it wasn't as good as the other Clture books of his that I've read so far (Consider Phleabas, Player of Games and The Use of Weapons). What did annoy me though was the fact that I finally thought I had figured out just what the hell was going on when everything turned upside down, not once but twice.

Still though, from what I've read so far I will definitely be picking up the other books.

One thing that really gets me with his Culture books though are the names, I'm generally quite bad with names so the sentence long names that populate these books really leave me confuzzled and I tend to just make up names for the characters to better get a grip of who's who.

• Advertisement

Yeah, particularly in Excession, I completely lost track of which ship was which.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I like Meat ****er, he/she is too cool for school

And, for the easily confused, here are the two best sites on The Culture,
    This one written by Banks himself, and published online by the great Ken McLeod, so pay attention!
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.sf.written/browse_thread/thread/44c79ecc215d44eb/2b05e32641fee4c2?hl=en%02b05e32641fee4c2

And this one you have all probably found for yourselves but here it is anyways,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture

And lastly, for those who find the endless array of awesome ship minds, here is a list of those, with some nice notes,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_%28The_Culture%29

Best ship name ever?
    A Demilitarised Rapid Offensive Unit or dROU called "Frank Exchange of Views", pure genius!
    When I am aboard a craft that is about to fup someone up, I want it to have a name like that!

Also good are the following
    OU (Offensive Unit) called I Said, I've Got A Big Stick,
    OU called All Through With This Niceness And Negotiation Stuff,
    dROU called You'll Clean That Up Before You Leave

Like I said already, the man is a genius, I wish I was that smart!

Finally started the Algebraist , great read so far - about 80 pages in - Banks has some amazing imagination, I think I'll give the Culture series a go after this one.

Wow ... really enjoying this Algebraist , what about his other non culture
    sci fci stories ? I think he has 2 others .
    Are they good ?

and should I read the Culture series in order ?

cheers.

I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Wow ... really enjoying this Algebraist , what about his other non culture
    sci fci stories ? I think he has 2 others .
    Are they good ?

cheers.
    Against A Dark Background is non-Culture, as is Feersum Endjinn. Inversions is technically Culture, but it's not really a big deal in the story. I'd agree that it's worth reading the other Iain M Banks books in the order they were published, but it's not vital.

OK thanks guys, Algebraist excellent book.
    Would Culture series be similar style ?

is the 1st Culture book good ?

sorry to ask just i have a lot of books in Q , so wanna see if they are
    worth the investment (time)..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I would suggest Player of Games as a first Culture book to read.

Consider Phlebas was technically first, but to me reads more like a stand alone novel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

OK thanks guys, Algebraist excellent book.
    Would Culture series be similar style ?
    Yes, the style of the Culture books is (mostly) similar enough.
    is the 1st Culture book good ?
    It's not regarded as being as good as his later books, but it's a reasonably good book. If you're dubious about investing time in it, plenty of people seem to have happily started with The Player of Games and only returned to Consider Phlebas only when they finished the other books.

• Advertisement

Great ! , so I really liked the Algebraist and others haven't - they say culture series is a lot better so hopefully I'll really enjoy them!

cheers

Advertisement