Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old photo. Point & Shoot C&C

• 20-03-2010 7:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭

Took this in a cave with my gf in croatia last year. Just getting started on photoshop and messing around with this old technique ( I know it's cliche but it is really cool) Also removed my foot from the shot with Heal & Dodge (mega obvious) any better techniques appreciated.

attachment.php?attachmentid=108117&d=1269065437

Here's the original as well. Took using whatever digital camera we had. We had no memory card so taken on really low resolution also.

8330_1210185209400_1071828360_30688448_1562868_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The water looks better in colour IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

it'd look really cool if you cloned out the board altogether :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

And cloned out her clot... ooook ... won't go there :D

try B&W all but the water. The board doesn't do all that much for the picture that it should be in colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

not a fan here of selective colouring here (sorry)

imho you need a really strong theme to have it worthy. With respect to what you have done here, I ask myself why / what have you set out to achieve? i.e. I mean what does it actually add to the composition or what does it convey about the subject. All (imho) that it does is suggest the artist has the technical skills to do it. I think again for it to be done acceptably you need the artistry side of the artist's skills to come out.

But don't worry - you are not alone. I know a professional photographer who is going through this as a phase at the moment - absolutely everything (I exaggerate) is done with a selective colouring.

If doing it without particular artistry in your intent, then I think that muted colours are the ones which will work best (just my opinion) or at least that you may get away with.

all the above - just my personal opinion / thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 freddyhard

i think clone works better to get rid of objects that are unwanted. keep the flow and brush hardness percentages very low. it pays to heed what is in the frame before you shoot - a mistake i made over last weekend.

i don't mind selective colouring, but the mask needs to be perfect otherwise it looks terrible. i think this photograph should be kept in full colour though.
    Clone.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SammyJ

I also like best the picture in color.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Visuelle

Where is that cave if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Visuelle wrote: »
    Where is that cave if you don't mind me asking?

It's along the coast of Bol on Brac island in Croatia. Rented the Kayak and had loads of beaches and that cave to ouselves for a few hours. Was very wary of taking the camera out of the dry bag while on the wobbly canoe but was worth it.

Thanks for all the comments. I do agree the colour in the water is really nice and I love the original picture. I could see from previous comments here that the selective colouring isn't highly regarded here but i'm only just staring to use ps and I think it's a really striking technique and I thought it kind of drew the eye to the person on the kayak as opposed to the kayak itself.

@Freddyhard. will definitely keep the flow and hardness down in future, your way is a lot less messy than my job.

Advertisement