Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

windows 7 & iomega 1tb prestige external hard drive.

• 20-03-2010 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

as in the heading i have this combo but since installing the hard drive keeps stalling & then shutting down windows explorer which restarts quick enough butjust repeatedly occurs. anyone know if there is a fix for this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 h4ck573r

as in the heading i have this combo but since installing the hard drive keeps stalling & then shutting down windows explorer which restarts quick enough butjust repeatedly occurs. anyone know if there is a fix for this?

possible causes:Usb cable is broken somewhere, electronics on disc are malfunctioning,your usb port is damaged, bad usb drivers, electronics and a drive are not property attached.
    staling happens when it is not possible to read or write on a targeted device.
    possible solutions:
    Try another usb port,try another usb cable, try it on another computer and if it also fails on another computer with another cable take it back to a place you got it from and report malfunction of a drive, or if there is no warranty for it you can open it up (if you are not completely incompetent with electronics and computer components) and unscrew the drive than try to clean the sata connectors and reattach it, and while holding it pressed to a connector, screw it harder.

Or just ask a friend geek to take a look...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

thanks for all the suggestions mate.
    so far before your post i've tried
    1) different usb lead [no effect]
    2) different port [no effect]
    3) different computer laptop & desktop B]no effect on 7 but works on vista[/B
    4) went looking for new drivers [not found aside from a retrospect back up program]

also on your last suggestion about unscrewing & checking the sata connection should that be done on an external hard drive? [fairly incompetent with internal computers but have done ram & graphics card changes (yes the baby stuff) before]

i think it may simply be that a driver compatibility issue hasn't been sorted regards windows 7 as yet but wasn't sure if i was over looking something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 h4ck573r

thanks for all the suggestions mate.
    so far before your post i've tried
    1) different usb lead [no effect]
    2) different port [no effect]
    3) different computer laptop & desktop B]no effect on 7 but works on vista[/B
    4) went looking for new drivers [not found aside from a retrospect back up program]

also on your last suggestion about unscrewing & checking the sata connection should that be done on an external hard drive? [fairly incompetent with internal computers but have done ram & graphics card changes (yes the baby stuff) before]

i think it may simply be that a driver compatibility issue hasn't been sorted regards windows 7 as yet but wasn't sure if i was over looking something else

That is great news, so the problem is directly windows 7 related...
    well if you connect the drive directly than you will be able to access it and r/w but it is just a quick work around, since it works with vista it is not related to drive and electronics connection.
    For permanent solution I am going to need exact model name and number.

Advertisement