Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skirting

• 20-03-2010 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

I would consider myself ok with wood. Have laid a number of wooden floors in my time.

Where i seem to have a dfficulty or i'm looking for advice is when i'm cutting skirting trying to get the angle cuts right for corners.

any advce or tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yes... This pee's me off. I am the same. I have bought many types of tools and cant do it. The carpentor i got to do my house was not to hot at this either.

However what he done was had a template of a corner and just copied it.

A bit lame imo

anyone share there insights would be eternally remembered. :)

ps: Please dont say I use one of the expensive 2k de walt frames. This is not a skill. Its money making life easy. A bit like paying for a carpentor:D

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

well anybody doing this for a living will have a mitre saw but if you cant justify purchasing one then use a saw with a fine cut and mitre box to cut your mitre, cut it about 2mm bigger then you need this will allow a bit of space for fitting. then its all about planing the joint closed. use a sharp block plane and work it in bit by bit. the most important thing is dont be in any hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

If you are doing an inside corner instead of joining two angles together cut a 45 degree angle first and then use a coping saw to cut the waste away so you are left with the profile which fit's perfectly up against the other piece of skirting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

cork45 wrote: »
    If you are doing an inside corner instead of joining two angles together cut a 45 degree angle first and then use a coping saw to cut the waste away so you are left with the profile which fit's perfectly up against the other piece of skirting.

+111111, Internal corners.:cool:

External corners, square cut, and then router end with a 45 degree router bit, if you dont have a fancy lidl chopsaw.
    Minimal expense with an Aldi router.:cool:

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

as said . A chippy will not leave an internal joint with a simple mitre. If he does then recheck his credentials .

Get a bevel. gauge the angle of the cut(tis often not 90 degree as the bell cast the plasterer leaves pushes out the bottom of the skirting) .
    set this angle on the saw. 1 or 2 degree most of the time.

cut a miter .

use a pencil and highlight the edge of the cut. Use a coping saw or a jigsaw with a scribing blade(if handy) and cut a negative angle along the line.
    result.

perfect tight joint.

not chalk needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement