Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling Area with Peat Moss or Topsoil

Options
  • 20-03-2010 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

I have sunk areas in my garden and I also want to raise some flower bed - some beds to be raised by over a foot.

Topsoil is about €80 for a tonne bag - but peat moss is only €4.50 for a 75l bag.

Any advice on weather too much peat moss is bad or if I am going to kill all my plant by going for the cheaper peat moss version.

On my way to the garden center within the hour.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

There won't be much/any nutrients in peat moss. What about mixing 50/50 with topsoil or compost?

also 1000l of peat moss will cost you €60. Not a massive saving there
    edit:- sorry thought it was a cubic metre bag of topsoil not 1 tonne

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

hi. mayby peat moss is cheaper but 75l bag doesnt weight 75kg, i think 75l peat moss weight about 20kg. so now you can calculate again. i would put top soil any way

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Hoppo2010 wrote: »
    I have sunk areas in my garden and I also want to raise some flower bed - some beds to be raised by over a foot.

Topsoil is about €80 for a tonne bag - but peat moss is only €4.50 for a 75l bag.

Any advice on weather too much peat moss is bad or if I am going to kill all my plant by going for the cheaper peat moss version.

On my way to the garden center within the hour.

Thanks

I certainly wouldn't fill a dept of 1 foot in dept with moss peat, before you know it iot will be all over the place.

if your doing out your garden try to plan it first, do it step by step you can plant trees/ shrubs / or flowery plants anytime.

Get a good gardening book with some pictures so you can get some good ideas and then you can visualise your own garden.

Don't rush in to doing a quick job as you may regret it when it's all done, you have to work out what way your garden if facing N-S-E W .

Any good garden centre will have a good book that will help you with your ideas, and talk to the people in the center, they'll be delighted to advise you... Don't rush a garden it's for your enjoyment?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Dont use peat moss. Plants will not grow in just peat moss, its for improving heavy soil, but on its own it would be like trying to grow plants in straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

hi. mayby peat moss is cheaper but 75l bag doesnt weight 75kg, i think 75l peat moss weight about 20kg. so now you can calculate again. i would put top soil any way

Here's the new calculations:-

tonne topsoil = approx 1333 litres

so 18 x 75l bags at €4.50 = €80 for peat moss with no nutritional value = get the topsoil

• Advertisement
Advertisement