Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stereotypes about Polish - A project

• 20-03-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭

How to photograph stereotypes about Polish in one shoot.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

a picture of a nice shiny wooden floor? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

woytek_tzn wrote: »

Any ideas?

I'd start off by identifying the stereotypes. You know, is synthetic as good as wax ? Is the clear stuff as good as the dyed stuff for shoes ? Etc etc

Ok, I jest, I jest. But the first point is still a good one. Then work out how to visualise them. IE Hearty polish family sitting around the table, hardworking father reading some Polish newspaper, roast swan on the table etc etc etc

-edit- damn you m s nixon !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Go to any factory in the country and Shoot them sat on their arses eating raw sausage when they're supposed to be doing over time, maybe?

I've worked with loads of them, while some of them are good workers, a LOT of them are lazy feckers [just like the irish then] I think there's a misconception out there that they are great workers.

Or some shots outside a nightclub of them harrassing Irish women, especially taken girls, much to the annoyance of the Irish men. This aint fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Go to any factory in the country and Shoot them sat on their arses eating raw sausage when they're supposed to be doing over time, maybe?

I've worked with loads of them, while some of them are good workers, a LOT of them are lazy feckers [just like the irish then] I think there's a misconception out there that they are great workers.

Or some shots outside a nightclub of them harrassing Irish women, especially taken girls, much to the annoyance of the Irish men. This aint fiction.

You'd better hope that the OP isnt easily offended, and has no means of tracking you down:p...then again, this type of post was always gonna be made by someone, so it should have been expected! Its the way it is for most people, but as always, theres a minority group of people giving the majority a bad name!

And there, folks, is your list of stereotypes. Thanks for that Thecageyone :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

get over yourselves, pinch of salt lads. Tongue firmly in cheek an' all that. I have a few Polish friends, nothing I said above is a lie though, as I mentioned, you could replace Polish with 'irish' right in that post. Would you find it offensive then? My god, down off the high ponys.

People are way too quick to get defensive over stuff nothing personal to them whatsoever.

As for 'tracking me down' are you trying to say All Polish people violent and aggressive and can't take jokes? tut, tut, very stereotypical of you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Not really on topic, I noticed the other day in Dublin alot of homeless Polish men around. could be something for you to look into ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

It can be dangerous in general to go stereotyping people, it has the potential to come across as racist.

Not sure if it's a stereotype or not but I have noticed these;

A decline in the amount of small polish only food shops and also polish produce being stocked on super market shelves has been reduced too.
    Do they still produce to the polish newspaper?

I think this tells a story of the decline in numbers of Polish people still living & working in Ireland. Since the recession the numbers have declined considerably.

It's only dangerous if people have poker's up their asses :D

You think they don't slag us Irish off? think again, I know enough of them.

Some of them integrate better than others, but they often expect us to adjust to their ways rather then other way round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

TheCageyOne after a bath!

41CDFAEEF506436F9A38C1349657FA93-800.jpg

Genuine Pole btw, not a maywood Pole you understand but an East European Pole.

• Advertisement

I'm so upset ...
    :D

It is funny to see people get all huffy, when the Polish guys themselves can take a slagging. You'd have to be able to, working in Irish factories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I have no probs with Poles, they bring over fantastic gorgeous women, long legs etc
    I assume they leave all the ugly ones at home? :o

Well, to be honest here, and this is not bashing them, it's just how they are - they claim ALL of their women are beautiful [NOT true, seen some rough chav polish women among the odd pretty one] and 90% of Irish women are ugly.

I worked with about 100 Polish guys, knew them all by name, got along fine with most of them [there's always the odd prick, no matter where they're from] but I'm telling you, they are very opinionated and prefer to stick to their own than mingle too much.

I worked with about 100 Polish guys, knew them all by name, got along fine with most of them [there's always the odd prick, no matter where they're from] but I'm telling you, they are very opinionated and prefer to stick to their own than mingle too much.

well, given the alternatives ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

In fairness OP you are Polish yourself so I'm sure you've heard all the stereotypes. I imagine no-one would be better placed for ideas than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

woytek_tzn wrote: »

Any ideas?

Perhaps a little more background re. the project, set-up and reasons behind it could be helpful?

well, given the alternatives ...

I didn't work with them all at once or anything :D they seemed to come and go very often, and yes, some of them were let go because they didn't pull their weight. Same with irish lads in that company who did same. Also worked with Czech's , Slovakians and um ... Scottish and Americans :D

Never mattered to me where they're from, once they're sound :cool:

Advertisement