Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

available balls like old 'more balls than most' beanbag balls?

Options
  • 20-03-2010 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me juggling balls that are available to buy at the moment, which are like the more balls than most beanbag-style balls that used to be widely available?

I have 4 stage balls from butterfingers, which are really good. They're not ideal for learning new skills with for lots of reasons though

-make more noise when they fall
    -they roll away when they fall [I used to have 5 - I lost one because of this]
    -bigger, so harder to handle, and more apt to bump into each other
    -solid and slightly bouncy, so if they bump at all, they bounce away
    -harder and slightly heavier means more likely to knock stuff over/break stuff if inside.

When I learnt to juggle first, I used those 'more balls than most' beanbag style balls, and found them really good, although they did tear after a while.

They don't seem to be still available... Can anyone tell me balls that would be roughly the same size/weight/feel of them?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Right now I'm using the play srx russian style balls and finding them very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

cheers, I'll probably order some of those

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

The russians are really nice. i know juggling dublin stock them and many other types if your around the city and want to try them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Sorry guys, I was watching this vid on YouTube when I came across this thread...serendipity much?...

I found a website for more balls than most. They seem to focus mainly on customised promotional sets now, and corporate events and things. I emailed them asking if they still handle individual orders last week. They replied today saying yes they do; they sell balls for 2.50 each + VAT and delivery. Surprised at the price; I remember they used to be five punts each in the shops.

I'll be in Dublin on Friday, and I'd planned to get the srx balls in jugglin dublin then. Now I dunno if I'll order the mbtm ones instead.

Do you find that there are other advantages to the srx over a beanbag-ball, aside from how they look, and durability?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

pwd wrote: »
    I found a website for more balls than most. They seem to focus mainly on customised promotional sets now, and corporate events and things. I emailed them asking if they still handle individual orders last week. They replied today saying yes they do; they sell balls for 2.50 each + VAT and delivery. Surprised at the price; I remember they used to be five punts each in the shops.

I'll be in Dublin on Friday, and I'd planned to get the srx balls in jugglin dublin then. Now I dunno if I'll order the mbtm ones instead.

Do you find that there are other advantages to the srx over a beanbag-ball, aside from how they look, and durability?

It depends on your throwing technique I juggle quite high and float with very little wrist and lots of forearm, kiev technique, so the balls float out and get that extra air time with the sand.

Where as if you use a more wrist based style you'll find the srx or russians will wobble in the air.

see this video for less wrist style, you can also see the russian effect if you concentrate on the peaks of her balls you'll see they hang there a tiny bit longer then they should

Thanks for the replies
    I found Jugglin Dublin yesterday. It was hard to find because it's inside another shop, and only has a small sign for it outside.
    He didn't have any russian balls left in stock. He let me try his personal ones. I liked them, but they did seem slightly awkward or something, because of the wobble you mentioned. I think I use a lot of wrist when I juggle.
    In any case I was only passing through Dublin, and I had kinda decided I wanted to get a new set of balls. I went with the Play Sil-X one, on the man's recommendation. I'm really liking them. In hindsight, I might possibly have been better getting the 67mm instead of the 78mm, (which I think are the ones I got), since one the main things I want them for is to try to learn to juggle 5, but I'm used to bigger stage balls at this time anyway, and I'm not finding holding 3 in one hand and throwing causing any major problem. [the problem for me seems to be changing the rhythm of the throws moreso]
    The shop is really good. The man is friendly, and knows his stuff, without being pushy at all. The prices were very good too, and he gives a discount if you're in a club.
    Incidentally, that video's not showing up on this page for me for some reason. I got the id from the page source though, so I saw it. Here's a link, in case this is happening for others, and they want to see it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n9md6_iM2o

Advertisement