Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any SSBM players in here?

Options
  • 20-03-2010 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting bored of playing my regular opponents. Not that bored because we keep on playing ^_^ Went to a tournament in DCU last year which was good fun, managed to get 3rd but I reckon I'm far better now.

Reckon the biggest problem with the game was that Gamecubes weren't marketed well enough in this part of the world because it has huge depth as a fighter.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Pre emptive and non accusatory mod point, could we avoid this devolving into another "SSMB isn't a fighting game/ yes ut is" thing please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I love Brawl and Melee. I haven't played Brawl it in over a year and Melee since a year before Brawl came out, but I still loves it. I'll probably dust it off the former again when I get back to Galway.
    I'm probably terrible at this stage and never really played anyone aside from my brother, so I probably wasn't even that good to begin with =P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

A series of so much wasted potential - hopefully sakurai falls down a big hole and they put someone who isn't a moron in charge of a follow up.

Used to consider myself pretty hot at melee, but then brawl ruined it all and I haven't played in years.

Just today I ended up talking to some guys who all swore that brawl was way better, in particular - because it had no hitstun.

Needless to say I was flabbergasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I played both Melee and Brawl an unhealthy degree, but never really tried to get really good at it. Like, competive. It was an enormously fun game. I'm probably way out of practice, haven't played it for some time.

Ness, Yoshi and Peach were my team in both games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Brawl was a pile of sh*te compared to Melee, we played it for a little while but soon went back and still play Melee before and after the pub these days.

I'd see myself as a pretty good player but when I went over to Canada I made friends with a guy who'd compete at tournaments and he tore me apart. That's the cool thing about Melee, it really was a hugely competitive game with a massive learning curve, even now we're still seeing new aspects to the game. That, and it can be hilarious at times still, like when peach whips out a bomb or a beam sword to win a tight game.

Peach is my main but I'm a capable Mario, Doc and Shiek player. Trying to learn Cpt Falcon well at the moment.

• Advertisement

Forgot to mention I'm a Bowser and Samus player though I delve into Dedede, Mewtwo/Lucario, Gannondorf and Snake from time to time.

Bowser is a hilarious character in Brawl, go one life up then suicide the rest of their lives. Gimpyfish's Melee Bowser was pretty impressive, lots of vids on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

People who didn't like it just wanted melee 2.0 which was never going to happen. Brawl was a better game overall. If the naysayers had stuck with it, they would have been converted.

Just like the early response to Street fighter 4 from many of the oldguard. Very negative. But they came round fairly quickly.

Brawl was hurt by being on a console with very poor online play. If you had given that game to a platform with an xbox live system available, it would have been huge.

Kirby wrote: »
    People who didn't like it just wanted melee 2.0 which was never going to happen. Brawl was a better game overall. If the naysayers had stuck with it, they would have been converted.

Just like the early response to Street fighter 4 from many of the oldguard. Very negative. But they came round fairly quickly.

Brawl was hurt by being on a console with very poor online play. If you had given that game to a platform with an xbox live system available, it would have been huge.

I don't see at all how it can be considered a better game. Worse than source players saying it's better than 1.6. Doesn't it have an entire tier for Metaknight? Why did they just nerf characters? Why did they make it so slow and everything so huge? It's probably a better party game for people who aren't necessarily gamers but in my mind sacrificing gameplay and competitiveness for novelty makes something worse.

Melee 2.0 would have rocked and no doubt we would have been converted but every decent player I've ever talked to has gone back to SSBM.

I stuck with Brawl for a while because it had already ruined my feel for Melees physics, and it certainly didn't grow on me.

Nobody could ever justify Brawl to me, it just failed on so many levels. The only improvements were the aesthetics - better graphics and great music.

When the designers add a mechanic to purposely make people lose at random you know something is very, VERY wrong. Melee had flaws, but at least they weren't intentional.

I'll try not to rant for pages about Brawls failures, but believe me it's really tough to not berate it endlessly. The fact that this thread was created to find Melee players speaks volumes.

• Advertisement

It's an interesting discussion this. And it comes out regarding sequels to everything. There are always some "purists" who dislike new incarnations.

Some people just don't like change and anything different = worse. You used counter strike as an example so I'll stick with that.

When 1.5 came out, people moaned about bunny hopping being removed etc. and went back to 1.3.

When 1.6 came out, people moaned about riot shields and nades and went back to 1.5 .

When source came out, people moaned for the sake of it and went back to 1.6.

People like to moan and you are never going to please everyone. For every ex melee player who didn't like the changes, there was another ex melee player who did. Like myself. I was heavily involved in the european brawl community for a solid year after release and it was active with happy players.

The people who bashed brawl over melee were the minority. The vocal minority but thats always the case. People rarely come onto forums to praise a product. Its usually to complain. Thats just human nature.

They took out alot of the unintended exploits from melee. Like wave dashing. Some people were pleased, others were not. Its the same thing as when bunny hopping or snaking was taken out of Counter strike and mario kart.

Personally, I found it better. Balance was an issue, but thats true in every fighting game. They did a decent job considering the large cast of characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

virtua-stick-high-grade.jpg> gamecube-pad-300x184.jpg

Rant: Why can't I steer my character with the D-pad on the Classic Controller? EVERY single other good 2D fighter has no problems with dashes on D-pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

If there's this many on here that play the game why don't yeas get a little tourney going for the craic? Seems there more on here that are into this then there is into blazblue for example.
    Pre emptive and non accusatory mod point, could we avoid this devolving into another "SSMB isn't a fighting game/ yes ut is" thing please.

Don't think thats ever been an issue on here beyond some SRK emulated jokes , I may have missed it though.
    Kold wrote: »
    Went to a tournament in DCU last year which was good fun, managed to get 3rd but I reckon I'm far better now.

They had a SF4 one too but I missed it. Was so pissed off :mad:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Sisko wrote: »
    Don't think thats ever been an issue on here beyond some SRK emulated jokes , I may have missed it though.
    You did miss it, he had to delete a post as soon as he'd made that post! Ninja modding it was. I lol'd :D

Moving on, I've never actually played the game, but I played the first one on the 64 and that was great fun altogether, especially the pokémon level where random pokémon would come out of the door and do things. Good stuff!

Nnnnnngh - someone... sticking..up... for....brawl......

Cue footage of me covered in green paint powerbombing some kid through a rack of nintendo games.

RRROAAARGH!

Cut to the sad walking away tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Like I said, I didn't really try to get serious with either game, I just played them for a blast. So without trying to get too serious, can someone explain what exactly was wrong with Brawl?

I assume one of the major problems was increasing the chances of getting random un-earned KOs compared to Melee.
    In Melee if you get the hammer or some of the Pokémon you've got a high chance of getting a KO, in Brawl there's more Pokémon, 2 types of Hammers, Smash Balls, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

There is only one word needed to describe why Melee is better than Brawl - "Tripping"

In Brawl your character can at random trip over causing you to be very vulnerable. It's the one thing which turned a very competitive non-traditional fighting game into a party game.

Not a fan of the Final Smashes either, but they're not game breaking.

Brawl had some good features like being able to deselect certain items from appearing as some were too powerful in Melee, but tripping, final smashes and the reduced speed would make me rather play Melee every time.

If someone ever wants to setup a Melee tournament I'd attend. Probably get my ass kicked, but I'd attend. It's a very good game.

Dunjohn wrote: »
    Like I said, I didn't really try to get serious with either game, I just played them for a blast. So without trying to get too serious, can someone explain what exactly was wrong with Brawl?

Melee was a fast and highly skillful fighter when played right. Most moves had their uses and could be used to counter something usually and characters had their unique feels. There is a huge important in positioning and your dodge game and forcing the other characters into positions. Because of the speed of the game, combos are seemingly more devastating and accuracy is more important, most characters could do a chain grab, not just DeDeDe :) It was just a more skill orientated game.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Way too serious, folks - Here, might lighten the mood a little!

First KO is just quality.

Guy is just outmatched. Huge class difference there. Snake is an excellent character so he has no excuses. He got Pwneddd11!!111 :D

• Advertisement

Doesn't Metaknight have a tier all to himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Doesn't Metaknight have a tier all to himself?

My understanding of Brawl is that Metaknight is best because he has no bad match-ups. He doesn't dominate anyone in the game though so at least half the cast is tournament competitive. In fact if you make the tier list based on the number of wins a character gets then he is about fifth in the list.

Apparently his tornado move is really spammable as well and not that easy to get around.

In Melee I believe there is four characters who are head and shoulders above the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dracucard

If someone ever wants to setup a Melee tournament I'd attend. Probably get my ass kicked, but I'd attend. It's a very good game.

Id attend too.I love that game so much:) Melee is the better game but brawl is a good party game for non gamers...plus it has solid snake!:P

Orim wrote: »
    My understanding of Brawl is that Metaknight is best because he has no bad match-ups. He doesn't dominate anyone in the game though so at least half the cast is tournament competitive. In fact if you make the tier list based on the number of wins a character gets then he is about fifth in the list.

Apparently his tornado move is really spammable as well and not that easy to get around.

In Melee I believe there is four characters who are head and shoulders above the rest.

In Melee Fox, Falco, Marth and Sheik are top tier but they aren't head and shoulders above. Melee is actually pretty balanced. The top player at the moment is a Jigglypuff (Mango), there are good players with most characters tbh. ChuDat has his famous Iceclimbers that can compete at the top level and there are a good few decent Peachs (like me :3).

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

In Melee Fox, Falco, Marth and Sheik are top tier but they aren't head and shoulders above. Melee is actually pretty balanced. The top player at the moment is a Jigglypuff (Mango), there are good players with most characters tbh. ChuDat has his famous Iceclimbers that can compete at the top level and there are a good few decent Peachs (like me :3).

Armada, seriously incredible Peach there.

Anyway, as a brawl player, i admit, Melee is harder, a much bigger game in terms of techniques and skills, but guys, don't knock brawl too much. It isn't as deep as melee, no, but it's a hard game to get good at anyway.

Yes, Metaknight is ridiculous, but if you're better than the person who is using metaknight, just play smartly and you should win. Space, shield, avoid the tornado and Dsmash.

Armada is my hero. Learned so much shiz from him. Hella and Mike G also play pretty class Peaches.

I think the main gripe with Brawl is the game we built it up to be in our heads. I just wish they'd make the Melee+ that we all dreamt of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Don't play SSBB myself, but this was just released http://balancedbrawl.net/

Tweaked Brawl with loads of balance changes. No need to mod your Wii to run it, just pop it on an SD card.

Jim wrote: »
    Don't play SSBB myself, but this was just released http://balancedbrawl.net/

Tweaked Brawl with loads of balance changes. No need to mod your Wii to run it, just pop it on an SD card.

Unfortunately, it still has tripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Unfortunately, it still has tripping.

What is this tripping your always complaining about?

From the matches I've watched I think the ledge-guarding **** people do is more of a problem then anything else but smash players seem to take this without an issue.

• Advertisement

Orim wrote: »
    What is this tripping your always complaining about?

From the matches I've watched I think the ledge-guarding **** people do is more of a problem then anything else but smash players seem to take this without an issue.

Ledge guarding is something that takes skill to do and is a valid tactic, much like good turtling in SF.

Now imagine when playing SF you are walking forward and for no reason at all you get knocked down.

That would be extremely annoying yeah?

Now imagine that you can be attacked on the ground and you can see how annoying and completely stupid tripping is.

I think Brawl+ removed tripping, but it required a software mod of the Wii, which means most major tournies wouldn't run it.

Advertisement