Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any good martial arts clubs in waterford

Options
  • 20-03-2010 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Hi guys was wondering if anyone knows about any good martial arts classes for a beginner in his twenties

Any info or contact information would greatly be appreciated;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭lynnemc

there are a large amount of martial arts clubs in Waterford. What are you looking to start ?
    karate, kickboxing, mma, bjj, judo, thaiboxing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

lynnemc wrote: »
    there are a large amount of martial arts clubs in Waterford. What are you looking to start ?
    karate, kickboxing, mma, bjj, judo, thaiboxing ?

Agree with Lynne. Fiance is joined to 3 - 2 in Waterford City and 1 in Tramore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I ain't sure what type exactly just looking to get grit and learn some self defense. I would try any of them really, on just trying to find out about who to contact or where to go to join up.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭lynnemc

best way to find out what your looking for is to try a few classes in a few that you think you like. Most clubs have a pay as you train system so you can come and go as you please and your not tied down to a monthly bill. here are some contacts and websites and contacts for you
    http://theultimategym.weebly.com/
    http://waterfordmuaythai.com/
    http://www.waterfordsportspartnership.ie/csv.cgi?sport=41 (karate)
    http://www.waterfordsportspartnership.ie/csv.cgi?sport=21 (judo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP: would love to get into some form of martial arts for fitness and self defence.

Cheers for the links on the last post.

Do you know if the jujitsu club is accepting new members or have any advice or opinions on it? Thanks

• Advertisement

C_Dawg wrote: »
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP: would love to get into some form of martial arts for fitness and self defence.

Cheers for the links on the last post.

Do you know if the jujitsu club is accepting new members or have any advice or opinions on it? Thanks

Boyfriend got accepted. I think that they are more or less open to new members all year round.

Boyfriend got accepted. I think that they are more or less open to new members all year round.

Good stuff, must get onto them during the week and arrange to get my arse kicked :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Tuesdays at 7 in the Protestant church in tramore there is a great self defense class teaching sin mo hapkido or jujitsu if that suits :D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Twice weekly classes mon and thurs 8pm in pat rocketts new fully equipped super gym ,waterfords no1 kickboxing academy affiliated to the IKF (international kickboxing federation) .

Pat has been involved in the local ma scene for quite some time
    even before back in the day when Rocky lawlor brought the first kickboxing club to the city..

Tuesdays at 7 in the Protestant church in tramore there is a great self defense class teaching sin mo hapkido or jujitsu if that suits :D

The fiance(keep calling him boyfriend lol) is in the one in Tramore and loves it! He goes to the Tuesday and the one on the Saturday at 11am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Hi, check out Waterford Muay Thai. www.waterfordmuaythai.com

They have an amazing class down there. You'll learn some practical self defense, and if you want to compete - the option is always there for that too. Waterford MMA also operate out of the same place, and they have a great class too - although I've only trained a few Muay Thai classes myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

any place do krav maga at all?

dlofnep wrote: »
    Hi, check out Waterford Muay Thai.

Hey buddy,

Yeah I had a look at the site there and looks like a good one too.

Will need to look up more info on both types and decide. Which will be tough haha

Cheers for the link :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No probs man. I've trained there a few times, and I think it's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭aws

Yea i train in Waterford Muay Thai (not at the minute due to injury :(), its a class gym, brand new purpose build facility complete with full size boxing ring and cage. John Walsh runs the place and is sound out. All the lads and ladies are all sound in there, its really well run and you lean practical self defense and you can compete if you so wish. Iv never been as fit as I am now since i started there, you will find muscles in places you never knew existed. It all depends on what you put in to your training to see what you take from it.
    Honestly cant wait to get back in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

aws wrote: »
    Iv never been as fit as I am now since i started there,

Your injured and you have never been this fit????? your gonna be superman when your back to normal :);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭aws

Ha Ha very smart, if only a didnt have this broken leg i would be the fittest iv ever been, not quite superman but close:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

http://ijja.org/

Irish Jiu-Jitsu Academy have a club in Waterford Mondays and Thursdays in the waterpark gym hall down by the park.. they also do Kali now as well.. great club, i used to train with them but have been so busy workwise for the last year that i kinda fell out of the routine.. hope to get back in the summer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 2james

There is a club in Kilmacthomas and Dungarvan i think the Instructor is 4th Dan i saw him fighting years ago. great fighter. His at it since early eighties my dad said. Anyway i think its mainly kids club but is open to adults. Its Called KDSKC
    They have done well in every competition they have entered .my nephew is doing it there. good club going places.
    Note " very strict on discipline and behaviour which i think is good what karate is all about.
    If you grade there you earn it unlike some karate clubs in waterford.
    The instructor does not grade students himself but gets international instructors to do gradings. If you not good enough to go you are not left. you do not buy your grade you earn it. they are on the web . check it out not big club more on quality not quantity
    some of the students have been picked to represent ireland and munster already,they must be doing something right.
    I give them thumbs up,check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

seanybiker wrote: »
    any place do krav maga at all?

I did see a poster for a place in town on the notice board in work, but I didnt pay enough attention to it tbh, because there isn't much point in training it imo.

Yeah, theoretically it is potentially very effective. Which is also the problem, Krav utilises a lot of things like groin/eye/throat strike, which are so effective and you cant drill them with any sort of power against your sparring partners.

The result being that if you ever need to use what you learn in class in a real situation, you are unlikely to be able to execute it against a fully resisting opponent.

Personally i recommend: MMA, Boxing, Thai, BJJ or kickboxing. Obviously you need to choose one you enjoy, but if you expect what you learn to be effective, make sure you train somewhere that using LOTS of live sparring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

Hi I found this thread through Google and I'm hoping on an update on martial arts clubs in Waterford city. Old thread but a new person with the same request. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sheepo

I can't recommend John Walsh in Waterford Muay Thai highly enough. I trained with him for many years before I moved to Dublin.

He's a top coach and an utter gentleman and has a great, welcoming, clean gym. It's a respectful, family-friendly place which you can go to on your own, male or female and be welcomed and treated with respect.

I also recommend Muay Thai to beginners because it is quite a simple sport all in all, so you can get good at it relatively quickly, which is handy when you're starting as an adult.

I think it is your ultimate sport for self-defence for the reasons just stated - it is simple, and easy to learn and can be put into practice in real life, if the unthinkable ever happens. It is highly effective if you are up against someone stronger than you.

Fitness wise the training is unbelievable, that's all I can say. If you eat right I believe it is very likely you will achieve your fitness goals by doing it.

I know this sounds like John himself wrote it but I just came across the thread there and John still means a huge amount to me because of the person he is and the time he gave me when I was training there.

When I got offered the job in Dublin all those years ago, the HR person had to ask me did I actually want it because I sounded so unenthusiastic, and the reason was I was sickened I'd have to leave the gym :D

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

You won't find a better atmosphere and a highly motivated gym then mma in Tramore unit 3 rivertown .the trainer there anto is by far the best trainer in Waterford regards to mma ,the kids range from 5 to 47 .theres two all Ireland winning memebers there that beat john kavanaghs gym in Dublin .i could not recommend this gym highly enough because of it s friendly helpful memebers.just try this gym once and I promise you won't find I'm wrong

sheepo wrote: »
    I can't recommend John Walsh in Waterford Muay Thai highly enough. I trained with him for many years before I moved to Dublin.

He's a top coach and an utter gentleman and has a great, welcoming, clean gym. It's a respectful, family-friendly place which you can go to on your own, male or female and be welcomed and treated with respect.

I also recommend Muay Thai to beginners because it is quite a simple sport all in all, so you can get good at it relatively quickly, which is handy when you're starting as an adult.

I think it is your ultimate sport for self-defence for the reasons just stated - it is simple, and easy to learn and can be put into practice in real life, if the unthinkable ever happens. It is highly effective if you are up against someone stronger than you.

Fitness wise the training is unbelievable, that's all I can say. If you eat right I believe it is very likely you will achieve your fitness goals by doing it.

I know this sounds like John himself wrote it but I just came across the thread there and John still means a huge amount to me because of the person he is and the time he gave me when I was training there.

When I got offered the job in Dublin all those years ago, the HR person had to ask me did I actually want it because I sounded so unenthusiastic, and the reason was I was sickened I'd have to leave the gym :D

That is a great post and thank you for sharing. I will post again on how things go in a few weeks time.

You won't find a better atmosphere and a highly motivated gym then mma in Tramore unit 3 rivertown .the trainer there anto is by far the best trainer in Waterford regards to mma ,the kids range from 5 to 47 .theres two all Ireland winning memebers there that beat john kavanaghs gym in Dublin .i could not recommend this gym highly enough because of it s friendly helpful memebers.just try this gym once and I promise you won't find I'm wrong

Really appreciate the info and I will post again in a few weeks.

Advertisement