Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having to "Re"-House train my pup

Options
  • 20-03-2010 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this problem. 10 days ago I had my 7month old puppy neutered. Since then, he has started defecating in the house (including his bed), often moments after he has been brought outside to go to the toilet.

I've had him 4 months now and he was house broken within a month of getting him. Two other dogs moved into the house 2 months ago and they are both well trained and get on well with my dog so I doubt it is anything to do with the other dogs but thought I should mention that incase it's relevant.

I asked the vet and they gave me anti-anxiety formula to try on him. which I started yesterday. But I genuinely dont think he has anxiety issues. He has the best temperment and is a very playful gentle puppy. Following yet another disaster this morning with him, I just thought I'd see if anyone here has ever heard of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

give the meds a few days when he does it in his bed can he go some where else or is he locked in to a crate???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Rachelann

His bed is on the floor in a kitchen, he has plenty of room not to go in his bed. But he goes all over the place.
    Since the formula he hasn't done it, but i've also taken him outside a lot more frequently and can be waiting for up to ten minutes for him to go outside, he even sits on the back step for 5minutes before deciding to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Is he aware that he has defecated ?
    Is it like he has an urge that he cannot contain and just has to go there on the spot ? Sounds to me like he could be incontinent.
    Has his diet changed since he was castrated ?
    I think this is more serious than your vet is letting on, I would bring your dog back to the clinic and insist that he be fully examined again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Ado86 wrote: »
    I think this is more serious than your vet is letting on, .
    I dont think it's a case of the vet not letting on , but you should go back and see him again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭j14

Our dog was neutered last week and for a few days afterward he was peeing everywhere in the house. He is one year old. Its been about 10 days since he was done and he is back to normal now. No more accidents in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Rachelann

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately I've never caught him in the act but it has always been within minutes of it happening so I dont know if he's consciously doing it in his bed.
    He has done it a few times since I last posted but there was nothing for a solid two weeks or so and then two days ago he pee'd in his bed. He knows to go in the garden but he gets so distracted (even when I remove any chew toys) then refuses to go.
    Hopefully it's just puppies being puppies but I do think the bed-wetting at 9 months is strange. He doesn't do it anywhere else, I could swear he's being bold on purpose!

Advertisement