Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First-timer

• 20-03-2010 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if I can post about this here but I'll give it a shot - right, finally decided to get on the road but haven't a clue where to start looking as regards insurance quotes. Where's the best starting point for a provisional permit holder, any recommendations anyone or advice?

Cheers

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

You really need to just google car insurance and try loads of online quotes or ring the companies directly. I personally went with Quinn direct as they were the only one that would give me a decent quote (800euro). Axa were quoting online in excess of 2k as were a few others I can't remember and FBD won't even quote someone under 25 on a learner permit. Look around and maybe check back here to see if anyone here is the similar to you- male/female, age, type of car etc and see if the quotes are in that ballpark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

25, first time male, provisional. 1290 on a 1.2 from Hibernian, best deal I could get. AA quoted 2500, AXA 1800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

First timer, never had insurance before, provisional, on a 99 1.4l Ford Puma, I'm paying 2500eur. And I'm 22yr old.

So yeah, a bit of a rip off. But hopefully when I get my full license and do their "ignition" course, it should go down below 2k...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Sit down with the Golden pages and the phone and just ring every one you can find. Write down the best quotes you get and take it from there. I prefer ringing the companies directly as sometimes the online quotes can be off.

I found Axa to be the cheapest. 17, Male, Learners permit, 1l Micra in own name: €2,300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

Jay my friend rang Quinn Direct & was quoted like 1500. She told the person on the phone that she'd gotten a cheaper quote elsewhere...they suddenly decided to drop from 1500 to 1100.
    Prices will probably be different for you because she's female and a bit older but it's worth a shot to tell whoever you ring that you've been quoted cheaper elsewhere...we were shocked at how quick QD came down...the guy on the phone said because of the recession they're trying to get all the business they can.
    When my brother went to renew his, the price had gone up so he said he was going to leave..they dropped the cost by nearly 200euro.
    Ring as many as you can though and check their websites too for offers. I think Axa do some kind of offer regarding the no claims bonus..or used to anyway.
    Good luck:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Gen10

Anyone any idea how much a 19 yr old female, provisional driver would cost to insure if driving as a named driver?

Advertisement