Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GMS Number Verification: iPhone & Mac OS X

Options
  • 20-03-2010 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hey all!

Wasn't sure where to post this but I've seen a fair few threads relating to the GMS service in here so I'll post it here if that's ok!

I'm an iPhone/Mac OS X developer (hobbyist really) and I have an iPhone app and a Mac OS X application that allow a user to verify a GMS number.

I figured I'd post here in the hopes of helping get the word out there that these tools exist.

It provides the same service that the HSE's PCRS Website provides and I've been registered with them as an official integrator so my applications will give you the same data that they provide.

That is:
      The scheme that the number is eligible under
      Doctor Number
      Date of Birth that the card is registered under
      Start and End of eligibility

If you have any questions at all, do let me know either via boards.ie or though the "Contact Me" page located on my website.

For more information see:

iPhone App :: http://www.morepackets.com/gms-check/

5554933-5726235-thumbnail.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1265922452231

Mac OS X App :: http://www.morepackets.com/gms-check-desktop-edition/

5554933-5562008-thumbnail.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1264821973239
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Sounds interesting. We don't mind people posting surveys or semi-commercial threads so long as they are informational and relevant to the users of the forums.

Can you give us more details?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

OK! Thanks DrIndy!

What details would you like?

Basically, the HSE PCRS offer a website that allows a user to check the details of GMS numbers.

Depending on the scheme that a person is registered under., there are different entitlements. Mainly I see these being of use to medical secretaries (OS X app), G.P.'s (iPhone app when on housecalls, or OS X app when in office) and pharmacists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

This seems very relevant to GPs. I don't know the technicalities of the GMS system but I hope they may have an interest in more info.

I shall wait and see do any questions get posted! Thanks again!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

That look extremely interesting !

Am involved in an OOH Co-Op and GP's out doing house call's would find this very useful.

Will it run on any phone ?

Also there is already a text based checker where you text the number and get a text back saying if it is valid or not. Will this work on a charge per item or one off app charge ?

• Advertisement

Hey Rob!

Sadly no. I've limited programming skills so currently I've only gotten a version for iPhone OS devices (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad) and for Mac OS X (Apple Computers).

Perhaps when I've more time I can investigate porting it to other platforms!

RobFowl wrote: »
    Also there is already a text based checker where you text the number and get a text back saying if it is valid or not. Will this work on a charge per item or one off app charge ?

My app works as a once off app charge. I don't charge for querying numbers.

HOWEVER!!

If you're out in the sticks where there's no data connection but have enough for a text message the app will instruct you how to send a query using the SMS service.

It will autocomplete the number but you'll have to enter the query and the number yourself. Apple limits what we can do programmatically with the SMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

RobFowl wrote: »
    That look extremely interesting !

Am involved in an OOH Co-Op and GP's out doing house call's would find this very useful.

Will it run on any phone ?

I can hear the question in your head now Fowl, does it work on PC's

a curse on you and your lot for your pc use

MAC rules the world ahahahahahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

john__long wrote: »
    ...Mainly I see these being of use to... pharmacists.

It's not a pharmacist's job to check GMS Medical Card numbers!
    It's the doctor's job to check before they issue the prescription!

It's not a pharmacist's job to check GMS Medical Card numbers!
    It's the doctor's job to check before they issue the prescription!

If you have any questions regarding the software, do post em here!

I don't want this thread to be sidetracked with debating job descriptions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

john__long wrote: »
    If you have any questions regarding the software, do post em here!

I don't want this thread to be sidetracked with debating job descriptions!

Sorry, John, I was being a bit facetious there. As it happens I do from time to time use the online checker. I refuse on principle to use the SMS version; I don't believe I should have to pay for the privilidge!

An iPhone app for it is a good idea, as long as it's the PCRS that's paying for it, and not the user.

Sorry, John, I was being a bit facetious there. As it happens I do from time to time use the online checker. I refuse on principle to use the SMS version; I don't believe I should have to pay for the privilidge!

An iPhone app for it is a good idea, as long as it's the PCRS that's paying for it, and not the user.

Hey its ok! I knew that deep down you probably did use the web version at some point!

Once off charge when you purchase the app. All updates and query's against the PCRS are free after that.

Advertisement