Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American 3 month visa question - Please Help.

Options
  • 20-03-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi I am going to America on a 3 month holiday visa in September. I will be going to southern California and I kinda want to stay for longer than just 3 months.

I was wondering is it possible to simply go to Mexico for 2 weeks and then return to America and start another 3 months holiday visa again?

Thanks in advance,
    Fergal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

fergal_d wrote: »
    Hi I am going to America on a 3 month holiday visa in September. I will be going to southern California and I kinda want to stay for longer than just 3 months.

I was wondering is it possible to simply go to Mexico for 2 weeks and then return to America and start another 3 months holiday visa again?

Ok, first question is are you going on a Visa (B2) or planning to use the visa wavier program (VWP - which gives you a maximum of 90 days)?

Travel to Mexico or Canada will not reset the clock on a VWP entry.

You can apply to the embass for a B2 holiday visa, they are usually good for 10 years with up to six months per visit. You will probably be asked for proof of plans to return and to show that you have enough money for your stay.

A good rule of thumb when visiting the US is to spend as much time out as you do it. i.e. if you max out the VWP at 89 days then wait that long again before re-entering. Obviously this is just a guide at it does depend on the Border Officer on the day,

Advertisement