Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GIS Help Clinic

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

georeference and digitise this:

http://www.dublintourist.com/maps/dublin-postal-codes/

not exactly pinpoint accurate...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

RuggieBear wrote: »
    georeference and digitise this:

http://www.dublintourist.com/maps/dublin-postal-codes/

not exactly pinpoint accurate...

Cheers. I'll share the file here if I get around to it. It's for a side project to help me buy a house!

Bizarre that these aren't available anywhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I should know more about GIS but I have to admit I don't. I'm sure I'm not alone.
    What would you think of another thread along the lines of...GIS for Dummies?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

slowburner wrote: »
    I should know more about GIS but I have to admit I don't. I'm sure I'm not alone.
    What would you think of another thread along the lines of...GIS for Dummies?

Would be no harm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Few here were looking for a Dublin postal zones a while back. Over the weekend (yeah I know, I had a buzzing bank holiday! :P), I threw together a rough (few slivers/gaps etc) dataset of all the zones. It's 100% accurate based on what buildings are in each zone, but when you overlay on some background mapping, i.e. Google Earth, it is slightly offset by a few metres, but accurate enough to make out what's where.

PM me if you want a copy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Nice one, PM sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

Would anyone know where to get an ESB powerline map shapefile? currently putting some stuff together and cant seem to find any for ireland.
    ideally im looking for all powerlines, low voltage and high voltage but low voltage powerlines being key.

Thanks!!

also does anyone know how to create just an arrow head, that i can just place down and rotate it the way i want and done, but using multiple arrow heads on 1 map?

$kilkenny wrote: »
    Would anyone know where to get an ESB powerline map shapefile? currently putting some stuff together and cant seem to find any for ireland.
    ideally im looking for all powerlines, low voltage and high voltage but low voltage powerlines being key.

I'm not sure this is freely available at the minute, but I think I remember reading/hearing a while back somewhere that it will/should be from October or November onwards through FOI possibly. I can't find any link to confirm that though (possibly I just dreamed it!!), might be worthwhile dropping ESB an email directly.
    $kilkenny wrote: »
    also does anyone know how to create just an arrow head, that i can just place down and rotate it the way i want and done, but using multiple arrow heads on 1 map?

What software are you using? I'm presuming ArcMap, if so, then an arrow head symbol is just a triangle? Select this as the symbol. Then click edit symbol and choose Arrow Marker Symbol from the dropdown.

You can then rotate this based on a numeric field in the attribute table. So when you create your points table, add in a Rotation field or similar.

With your points created and styled as arrows (or triangles) and the Rotation field values filled in, go to Properties->Symbology. Select the Advanced->Rotation option and choose your rotation value field. You can edit these values then to rotate the arrows accordingly.

I haven't used Arc too much recently, so there might be an easier method these days! :p This should get you out of a hole though.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

its unfortunate that I can download all the shapefiles like powerlines and gas lines for the UK and not for ireland just yet. thanks for that :D

regarding the arrow head, im in a similar boat with your method, ive a botched way of creating one using the line with an arrow head but like your idea, its complicated... a simple way is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Forester15

Hi Folks,
    I'm starting to use QGIS and am encountering some difficulties. I was just wondering is there any users in the munster region that are willing to give some tutorials.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Forester15 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I'm starting to use QGIS and am encountering some difficulties. I was just wondering is there any users in the munster region that are willing to give some tutorials.
    Thanks

Sorry I can't help with tutorials in the Munster region, but why don't you post some of your issues here?

Thanks,
    Ok I'm having a good few issues, but I suppose the main ones at the moment are when I'm snapping for creating a feature there doesn't seem to be anyway of undoing edits, also when I'm calculating the area of a polygon it's coming up with the wrong area despite the fact that I'm using ITM projections. Another problem that I'm encountering is when I'm labeling a feature the label isn't appearing on the feature.
    Thanks again for your reply

Sorry I can't help with tutorials in the Munster region, but why don't you post some of your issues here?
    I would also be prepared to travel outside of Munster for an hour or two tutorial as I believe would be adequate to resolve any issues I have with QGIS. If you know of anyone I would be most grateful if you could send me on their contact details and I will gladly pay for the tuition.

Just an FYI, a few people here (although i'm not sure if it was in this thread or another one!) have enquired over the last few years about the OSi rivers and lakes data, which previously required an OSi license to obtain. All the non-generalised data has just been released, available to download now on the EPA data portal- gis.epa.ie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Anyone read PostGIS in Action, 2nd edition? By Regina Obe & Leo Hsu. Good introductory text or not? Recommended alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

does anyone know how to convert degree decimal coordiantes to Irish national grid coordinates using an excel sheet rather than an oline converter?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Opelfruit

I have an interview coming up that asks for some experience using Smallworld.

I've never heard of it before.

Has anyone used it? Is it similar to Mapinfo or ESRI?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

This appears to be a free online Smallworld Training Pathway. Not sure. I've not used.
    Link: https://cdn.safe.com/training/course-materials/Smallworld-Pathway-Training-2015.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Hi all, first time novice poster here with a problem which i just can't find an anser to

I've an assignment to do for college for which i am using qgis.

So i have two vector layers.

Layer one consists of 188 polygons which represent public parks.
    The attributes of the my park layer are;
    id
    osm_id
    name (Park Name)
    type
    area (area of the polygon which i have calculated)

Layer two consists of polygons which represent constituencies.
    The attributes in this layer are;
    con_2013
    name (Constituency Name)
    male2011 (male population)
    female2011 (female population)
    total2011 (total population)
    area (area of the constituency which i have calculated)

How do i count the number of parks (layer one) in a constituency (layer two)?
    There is nothing to join the two layers together only the fact that they overlap on the earths surface.

TIA

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You could try convert the parks to point data and then use Vector --> Analysis Tools --> Points In Polygon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

I have an excel spreadsheet with about 1200 ITM co-ordinates, and I'd like to convert them to WGS84 lat/long co-ordinates. That can be done on this website, but doing them one by one would take a lot of time: http://www.fieldenmaps.info/cconv/cconv_ie.html

Does anyone know either of a program I could input all of my points into to convert them, or else the conversion rate (is there one?) which I could just do on excel.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

• Registered Users Posts: 4 glaoine

if anyone in GIS is interested.
    google Address Data, Database & GIS Technician on Jobs.ie for CityPOST.
    New GIS and Routing Sequencing Project using Eircode and High speed sorting equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ayup12

Hi all,

My apologies if this query has been addressed previously. I'm using ArcMap 10.4. I have a point and polygon shapefiles in TM65 Irish National Grid (deprecated...?). I want to transform these shapefiles to Irenet95/ITM using ArcMap. Using the project tool under projections and transformations, when I set my output coordinate system as Irenet95 (under either GCS or PCS) I get an error that I have a 'invalid geographic transformation', and thus cannot execute any transformations. Any help would be much appreciated!

If I add these shapefiles within a project currently working in Irenet95/ITM, I can project these shapefiles to Irenet95 'on the fly' and the seem to project perfectly (verified using another source). However, I ideally want to be able to transform the TM65 shapefiles and save them as new Irenet95 shapefiles.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions. Let me know if more info is useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

ayup12 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My apologies if this query has been addressed previously. I'm using ArcMap 10.4. I have a point and polygon shapefiles in TM65 Irish National Grid (deprecated...?). I want to transform these shapefiles to Irenet95/ITM using ArcMap. Using the project tool under projections and transformations, when I set my output coordinate system as Irenet95 (under either GCS or PCS) I get an error that I have a 'invalid geographic transformation', and thus cannot execute any transformations. Any help would be much appreciated!

If I add these shapefiles within a project currently working in Irenet95/ITM, I can project these shapefiles to Irenet95 'on the fly' and the seem to project perfectly (verified using another source). However, I ideally want to be able to transform the TM65 shapefiles and save them as new Irenet95 shapefiles.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions. Let me know if more info is useful.

Easy peasy. Open a map and set to Irenet95. Then add your shapefiles. Then right click on the shapefile name in the table of contents and choose data/export data. Browse to where you want to save and make sure that the coordinate system in the dropdown menu is set to reference frame and not to the original file.

Advertisement