Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q6600 vcore...

Options
  • 20-03-2010 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

So I've been reading about overclocking and tried out my first tentative steps, I have a Q6600 B3 2.4ghz and have gotten it stable to 2.8ghz at 1.28v (Using auto setting), the VID for my cpu is 1.3250v.

I have always had heat issues with my cpu, the heatsink is seated properly, experimented to find the best fan setup etc.
    With this overclock I idle around 45 and under prime some of the cores can get to 85 (yikes!). This is probably a 5-10 degree difference from stock speeds.
    I'm going to buy an aftermarket heatsink and proper paste so I anticipate this lowering the temps.

My question is about the vcore voltage, I understand that the lower it is the cooler your cpu will run? Is it just a case of trial an error to find a stable voltage? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

B3's are hot and need lots of voltage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    So I've been reading about overclocking and tried out my first tentative steps, I have a Q6600 B3 2.4ghz and have gotten it stable to 2.8ghz at 1.28v (Using auto setting), the VID for my cpu is 1.3250v.

I have always had heat issues with my cpu, the heatsink is seated properly, experimented to find the best fan setup etc.
    With this overclock I idle around 45 and under prime some of the cores can get to 85 (yikes!). This is probably a 5-10 degree difference from stock speeds.
    I'm going to buy an aftermarket heatsink and proper paste so I anticipate this lowering the temps.

My question is about the vcore voltage, I understand that the lower it is the cooler your cpu will run? Is it just a case of trial an error to find a stable voltage? Thanks

B3s run very hot at the best of times, even with after market cooling you will only be hitting 3.0ghz or so before the need for water cooling is required.
    A good after market heatsink will reduce the temps nicely, I myself went with a termalright ultra extreme 120mm which helps greatly with my B3.
    Your idle temps will still be around 40 degrees or so, so don't expect miracles, but at the higher end of the scale a new cooler should help keep things under 60 degrees at load.

What case do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

I have a XION II
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/252/1/
    Bought on a budget 2 and a 1/2 years ago. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    I have a XION II
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/252/1/
    Bought on a budget 2 and a 1/2 years ago. :o

I won't lie to ya: it's bit of a minger :D

You could take this as an opportunity to get a new case as well.

You are going to have to strip everything else out the case in anyway as any good after market cooler will require a backing plate fitted to the bottom of the motherboard, the motherboard has to come out, along with everything else!

If you really hate that case now is the time to replace it. Still if it does the job.... no point in throwing it out.

Advertisement