Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tapas Bar (ALL POSTS HERE)

Options
  • 20-03-2010 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

anyone been ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

no. It's not open yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Opened last night, by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Opened last night, by the looks of it.

Yes it opened last night. Quick scan of the menu and its seemed reasonable, price wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

where?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    where?

Corner of Hillside and Church Rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I looked at their menu in the door today - does not appear to be a 'tapas' place at all, more like mainstream Italian. Beef, chicken dishes, salads and bruschetta...

Isn't Tapas made up of all these dishes?

Not really. Tapas are small portions of food, in variety, that you would order together - in Spanish cuisine.

Rasmus wrote: »
    Not really. Tapas are small portions of food, in variety, that you would order together - in Spanish cuisine.

I actually looked at the prices... lol

it seems to be a small selection of the future menu. Looks a bit like an international menu. But tapas size. Half chicken breast and 4oz beef medallions etc. No chorizo. Boo. Looks ok though. They're Looking for suggestions. How about bring your own wine or beer? And e2 corkage!

• Advertisement

What is it with places looking for suggestions on what to serve?

Set a menu or rotate a menu, don't people know what they will serve before they open a place?

Set a menu or rotate a menu, don't people know what they will serve before they open a place?

Totally agree. How about some market research first? And does the chef know that they need suggestions? Hmmm. This is not the first new business in Greystones lately that seems to open, fish for ideas and hope for the best.... maybe it's a new trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Does not open Sunday either, seems a bit odd , maybe not

Seem like the same folks from Woodlands, does that mean the pub at Charlesland is not going ahead - Ooooops have I opened a can of worms :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Apparently the owners had come up with a menu before hiring chefs - the owners seem to be clueless but I know one of the chefs and he's a hard worker - I'd say the menu will change

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Merrilady wrote: »
    Does not open Sunday either, seems a bit odd

Seriously? That is just nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Seriously? That is just nuts.

Why is it nuts ?
    There are loads of places that are closed one night of the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    Why is it nuts ?
    There are loads of places that are closed one night of the week

Why is it nuts?hhmmm let me think,there are 2 days of the week that the majority of couples are off work,Sunday happens to be one of those days,need i say more
    i think you'll find most places that do choose to close tend to pick Monday or maybe Tuesday at a push.

actually lots of restaurants are closed sunday and monday nights. Typically quiet nights. You would however think sunday afternoon/evening tapas would be popular.

Merrilady wrote: »
    Does not open Sunday either, seems a bit odd , maybe not

Seem like the same folks from Woodlands, does that mean the pub at Charlesland is not going ahead - Ooooops have I opened a can of worms :D

Why do you say that? Do the Woodlands folks have a fingerprint?

Should have called it the Twitter Bar, because next thing they will be asking you to Twitter what you want on the menu.

Don't know many places that open on a Sunday either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lazuli

Ate in the new tapas restaurant on Church Road this week - it's on a soft opening before they officially open the doors. I am an industry professional so here are my thoughts.

Food was excellent: fresh, beautifully cooked, nutritious.

Price was incredible: 5 tapas and a bottle of wine for €40. My only complaint is that they don't offer large bottles of water, so it's kind of pricey to be ordering lots of small bottles.

Surroundings: the place isn't yet finished and ther are some wires hanging out of the walls; the place was very chilly and I saw a cheap electric heater under a table; lighting was far too strong and spotlight was down facing on the table so if you leaned it to talk to your dinner guest, you were blinded. Layout is ok; most of the tables are in a long line (I suspect they brought all the furniture from their previous establishment) so there's not too much privacy between tables.

Hygiene: overall it seemed good until I went to the toilet. Unisex toilet and noone had checked them all night. Pee all over the seats, tissues all over the floor and the only bin in the cubicle was the ladies sanitary bin.

Service: ok. Took a long time to be given a menu (like 15 minutes too long) and ordering wasn't too easy either.

Ideal spot for something cheep, cheerful and fun. Great spot for big parties. If they can iron out some issues, I think they have the potential to do great business and I wish them all the luck of the Irish.

lazuli wrote: »

Hygiene: overall it seemed good until I went to the toilet. Unisex toilet and noone had checked them all night. Pee all over the seats, tissues all over the floor and the only bin in the cubicle was the ladies sanitary bin.

Wow, if they can't be bothered to clean up the toilets which is visible to the public, imagine what the kitchen could be like ! thanks but no thanks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 greystonesrc

Hi all,

I was there last night, food was excellent, we had 6 tapas dishes and a dessert between 2 of us, 2 small bottles of sparkling water, a glass of beer, 4 glasses of wine, cost €55 which was great value.

The place was very full, they were sending people away and asking them to come back in 30 mins, there was only one waitress and a maitre d on the floor, assume they will put more staff on when they are fully up and running.

The menu isn't full yet, he said they are putting on another 22 dishes at the weekend. Niggly bits were the tables are too close together, service was a bit slow due to manpower on, the spotlights over the table were up a bit too high, the toilets are unisex and they weren't as clean as they should have been, probably not checked as they didn't have the time, the heat could have been slightly higher too, these were I hope little niggles that will be sorted.

Overall, we were very happy with our evening and it was great value, will be back soon !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Unisex toilet seems a bit odd to me.

I also ate there this week. We had a wide array of dishes and a bottle of wine for €40. Thrilling!! and the food was delicious and fresh. So very pleased to have somewhere cheap and cheerful on our doorstep. It's also a great place for a big party and somewhere cheap and cheerful for the younger population.

That said, I also would say the following:
    • We waited ages for a menu and another long while to have an order taken
    • I wasn't too impressed by the table layout. No privacy at all.
    • The restaurant was cold and there appears to be no heating installed anywhere. Not a good idea in this country.
    • I too found the toilets a bit unsavoury. They're unisex and the only bin is the ladies sanitary towel bin. As a result there were tissues strewn across the floor and it would be great if men would aim for the bowl and clean up their overspill when out and about.:eek:
    If they can manage to iron out their issues, especially those of hygiene, then I think these guys can make it work and I will happily support them in their efforts to make this town more reasonable to eat out in.

sounds great. Can't wait to try it. A bit harsh writing it off in the first week because of the toilet. And comparing the toilet to kitchen for standards of hygiene is silly, dr. Nobody gets it all right straight away, sounds like they've made a good start. The wine list looks small though. Hope they consider a b.y.o.bottle policy.

the current menu is a "sample" menu so for the week of the soft opening, they had a selection of dishes and wines. these and many more will be included on the full menu when the doors officially open tomorrow (friday) as will a full cocktail list. it's a clever idea actually and the wines we had were smashing...nothing wrong with them.

as i said, if they can get a handle of the finer details, they'll do great and have proven that you can eat well and reasonably so, which is more than can be said for a number of establishments along the main street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mmcm888

Ate there this evening

Tables too close together
    Menu - very basic, no indication of the portion sizes. I'll allow them for just being open and having only a sample of the menu but it's not exactly rocket science to make tapas so I don't see what the delay/experimentation/research is about.

Quality - We had the lamb - only ate about two mouthfuls. It was terrible with no flavour and had obviously had reduced too much and had water added.

Service - Waitress was ok but inexperienced. Should take the drinks order and go get the drinks rather than standing around while we were still discussing what to order. nobody asked for feedback when we paid - not quite in keeping with the sample menu.

Price - On first view the menu seems reasonable but for what we got it was not worth it.

Suggestions - Put together a sampler platter. Give bread/olives/chorizo 'starter' to get people in mood (only needs to be small).

Would I go back - Unlikely.

M.

dr ro wrote: »
    And comparing the toilet to kitchen for standards of hygiene is silly, dr.

Having worked in a kitchen, you're very trusting mate :D

• Advertisement

dr ro wrote: »
    And comparing the toilet to kitchen for standards of hygiene is silly, dr. Nobody gets it all right straight away

I don't think it's silly at all!
    I was actually there last night myself, and the toilets were MANKY!
    Piss everywhere all over the floor.

It was embarassing, when I left the toilet there was a woman that was going in after me!, Hope she didn't think I missed the bowl by three feet each side !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement