Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tapas Bar (ALL POSTS HERE)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Unfortunately it got a very bad review in the Sunday Indo at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Merrilady wrote: »

Am not surprised one bit !

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I can't find anything on the Indo website - are you sure it was the Sunday Independent?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    I can't find anything on the Indo website - are you sure it was the Sunday Independent?

yeah, was defo in the sunday independent

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    yeah, was defo in the sunday independent

I found it in a circuitous way - It doesn't seem to be on the website

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    I found it in a circuitous way - It doesn't seem to be on the website

yeah, It was in one of the funny pull-outs which isn't listed on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Was in the magazine section, pretty damning alright. Have not been there but the review pretty much backed up what I've heard from others. Pity.

It was in the Magasine, was really dreadful review tbh.
    Have only been once myself and wasnt set on fire.
    Hubby was there 2 weeks agao with a friend of his and 3-4 options from the menu werent availible ... at 6pm on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

Review posted online tonight -- here you are everyone:

http://www.lucindaosullivan.com/index.cfm/page/newsarchive/id/215

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Pretty damning alright.

We went for our anniversary at the end of June, it was enjoyable enough and we had no qualms about the quality of the food, however we realised early on that the bill was starting to stack up quickly. It's an expensive way to nibble and a far cry from traditional tapas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

It is a shame that this place didn't quite bring the lower price of quality restaurant that i think Greystones needs. We finally ate out, or rather attempted to, last week and went to Bochellis and Vino Pasta. Both times we were left sitting outside twiddling our thumbs. Once with menus and the other time they didnt even give us the menus! We went home disgusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

ciaran67 wrote: »
    It is a shame that this place didn't quite bring the lower price of quality restaurant that i think Greystones needs. We finally ate out, or rather attempted to, last week and went to Bochellis and Vino Pasta. Both times we were left sitting outside twiddling our thumbs. Once with menus and the other time they didnt even give us the menus! We went home disgusted.

not surprised,as stated before Bocelli's is average at best,VP is good food wise but overpriced for what you get
    the early birds are available in 3Q's,can't be beat imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

nickhx wrote: »
    Review posted online tonight -- here you are everyone:

http://www.lucindaosullivan.com/index.cfm/page/newsarchive/id/215

Wow, the review absolutely slated the place - but hey, I have yet to try the place and will reserve judgement till then! On another note, Lucinda's comment "Mauzac had all the joy and colour of badminton night at the Church Hall" is really offensive to such a skilled sport. *cough*

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Wow, the review absolutely slated the place - but hey, I have yet to try the place and will reserve judgement till then! On another note, Lucinda's comment "Mauzac had all the joy and colour of badminton night at the Church Hall" is really offensive to such a skilled sport. *cough*

Trying to think of some punage associated with badminton... but it was too rude.

Bit of a story behind this apparently the chef was treated badly and he walked out. The owner was apparently trying to do the cooking on the night that the reviewer was there

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AMM

My experience with this restaurant is mixed. A couple of weeks ago I went with my husband and two kids at 5pm on a Sunday. I asked the very rude owner/manager if he catered for kids. He said no and then followed that up with well we don't have a kids menu. Depsit his frosty reception, we decided to chance it anyway as it was a new restaurant and we love tapas. The food was very good but the manager was throwing us filthy looks the entire time we were there which made our stay uncomfortable. Our kids were not running around or annoying other diners-clearly he just does not like kids. Despite this bad experience we decided to get my father-in-law a voucher for the tapas restauran for Father's day. When my husband called down to ask for the voucher the same obnoxious owner/manager said "we don't do vouchers, that has scuppered your plans hasn't it."The food is good but if it were my establishment I would be putting in a new friendly, welcoming manager who does not scare off the punters.

Completely agree with your post, the one time I was there, I had booked a table for 6.30 on a Friday evening.
    We first offered a table right beside the kitchen, there was only 2 other tables occupied at the time. When I asked for a different one, I was given one reluctantly, right on top of another couple but was told I had to give it back by 8 ( no probs at all ) by the grumpy man.
    By the time we were leaving at 7.45 the place was not even half full ... Small complaint, but that drive me bonkers.

The next time I went in to book a table, again it seemed like a hassle so I didnt bother, havent been back since.

AMM wrote: »
    My experience with this restaurant is mixed. A couple of weeks ago I went with my husband and two kids at 5pm on a Sunday. I asked the very rude owner/manager if he catered for kids. He said no and then followed that up with well we don't have a kids menu. Depsit his frosty reception, we decided to chance it anyway as it was a new restaurant and we love tapas. The food was very good but the manager was throwing us filthy looks the entire time we were there which made our stay uncomfortable. Our kids were not running around or annoying other diners-clearly he just does not like kids. Despite this bad experience we decided to get my father-in-law a voucher for the tapas restauran for Father's day. When my husband called down to ask for the voucher the same obnoxious owner/manager said "we don't do vouchers, that has scuppered your plans hasn't it."The food is good but if it were my establishment I would be putting in a new friendly, welcoming manager who does not scare off the punters.

How did you not roar at him?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

The manager sounds like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld, except that the soup was delicious and worth putting up with the antics of the Soup Nazi for...

So, remind me again, why is anybody going to this place...??? :confused:

(For those who haven't seen episode 116 of Seinfeld, read about it at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soup_Nazi)

AMM wrote: »
    My experience with this restaurant is mixed. A couple of weeks ago I went with my husband and two kids at 5pm on a Sunday.
    I thought they didn't open on Sundays?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

darter wrote: »
    The manager sounds like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld, except that the soup was delicious and worth putting up with the antics of the Soup Nazi for...

So, remind me again, why is anybody going to this place...??? :confused:

(For those who haven't seen episode 116 of Seinfeld, read about it at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soup_Nazi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bambio

Just wondering if anyone else saw the review in the sunday Indo last weekend? It was not very good.

bambio wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else saw the review in the sunday Indo last weekend? It was not very good.
    did you read the thread?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bambio

:owoops, missed page 5! sorrry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

jeez, from what I read this guy's bedside manner is getting worse every week. Let me say it now, if this business wants to succeed remove Mr. Arogance and replace him with an experience front-of-house matradee that can play the game. Oh yeah, and don't have an argument with the chef - he is the ones that makes the food, stupid donkey.

It really is turning me off the place and I haven't been yet.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement