Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Rifle

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Your nit-picking with me over my word usage. You have infered a meaning from something i wrote and are stuck on it as the basis for your rebutal. If thats the case alot of threads in this forum will have to be rewritten.

Just look back at the last couple of posts. Another user comes on stating the same thing as you "that a new comer (altogether) should start with a rimfire" and how "the OP states nothing about fox shooting, etc" when in the post previous i CLEARLY and in plain English stated i WAS NOT refering to the OP. Forget misinformation how about MISREADING.

A .223 is not too big a caliber for someone with previous experience with shooting, be it shotgun or other. Thats my opinion and as always you and anyone else are free to ignore it. Any bullet can do harm or damage so as always its the owners responsibility to learn to use the firearm safely and responsibly. As previously stated i have said there is benefit to owning a small caliber for the purposes of training and gaining experience, but this will not always be the case with new rifle owners.

This is also the reason for boards and this forum. Learning. If they refuse to learn then you/i and anyone else can do no more for them. How many out there (not on boards) have bought one with no range time and no shooting experience? A few i would imagine.

At the end of the day this forum and all the threads are about idea bouncing and people's experiences and knowledge. So we can agree to disagree without falling out. ;)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SD308

ezridax wrote: »
    Your nit-picking with me over my word usage. You have infered a meaning from something i wrote and are stuck on it as the basis for your rebutal.

OK, I apologize for misunderstanding your meaning. Can you explain in your own words what you meant when you said;

a .17 dies after 125-140

Just so we're clear.

Stephen.

SD308 wrote: »
    OK, I apologize for misunderstanding your meaning.

Theres no need to apologise. Its a debate/disagreement. If we get to calling names then its time to finish.
    Can you explain in your own words what you meant when you said;

Just so we're clear.

Stephen.

Exactly what you said in your first post (following mine)............
    SD308 wrote:
    .......starts to lose speed rapidly............

I have no problem admitting i could have said those exact words (for clarity) and i will take the point how misunderstandings can occur. I did not (mean) to imply the bulet stops dead as in no longer travels or hits the ground. And i by no means said or meant that it is not capable of humanely killing.

My main point before all this was that i (personally) think a .223 would provide a better rifle for a bit more money, but only for someone with previous shooting experience hence the reason i directed the post towards charlie10 and not the OP. I don't expect everyone or even anyone to agree, and as you said i should be able to rebute any statements made by anyone as ye are free to do so to me.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

hey just back from buying my first rifle bought a cz 452 .22 . black synetetic stock and got a scope too with illuminated cross hairs but dont know the spec of this (apologies for lack of info).what are peoples views on this particular gun .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

charlie10 wrote: »
    hey just back from buying my first rifle bought a cz 452 .22 . black synetetic stock and got a scope too with illuminated cross hairs but dont know the spec of this (apologies for lack of info).what are peoples views on this particular gun .

Good enough to start with!
    Have fun!

• Advertisement

Exactly what you said in your first post (following mine)............
    ...starts to lose speed rapidly...

I have no problem admitting i could have said those exact words (for clarity) and i will take the point how misunderstandings can occur. I did not (mean) to imply the bulet stops dead as in no longer travels or hits the ground. And i by no means said or meant that it is not capable of humanely killing.

OK, thanks for clarifying that.

One other thing, would you agree with the rest of the statement from my first post which you quoted me on;
    SD308 wrote: »
    While the 17gn .17HMR starts to lose speed rapidly beyond 150 yards and as a result can be blown about quite a bit by a stiff breeze, it still has sufficient stopping power to humanly dispatch a rabbit or grey crow at just beyond 200 yards.

Just so we know if we're on the same page?

Stephen.

Great purchase, the CZ 452 has a well deserved reputation for reliability and accuracy. I've had one myself now for many years. Hope it serves you well!;)

Stephen.

+ 1 on the CZ. Had one for 14 years and loved it. Accurate, reliable and cheap to run. Best of luck with it.

SD308 , yes, up to 200 and on rabbits and crows. Anything bigger.? I honestly don't know.

On the same page just reading different lines............;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Congrats, Which model did you go for? I collected a CZ 452 American in .17hmr about two months ago. I'm having great fun with it. Hope you not waiting too long for the paper work to come through.

SD308 , yes, up to 200 and on rabbits and crows. Anything bigger.? I honestly don't know.

On the same page just reading different lines............;)

OK, Thanks for making yourself clearer.

As I said it benefits other readers, especially the type of inexperienced ones that might read a tread entitled "First Rifle", to get accurate and reliable information about a rifle or calibre they may be considering as their "first rifle".;)

Stephen.

• Advertisement

It not all at my door. Read posts 36 to 49. What impression would they get reading them?

Can we leave it at that because honestly its talked to death and we've gone way off topic.

It not all at my door. Read posts 36 to 49. What impression would they get reading them?

As I said earlier, I can only post on subjects I have personal experience on and I have a fair bit of personal experience with a .17hmr beyond the distance you quoted so I felt the need to post for clarities sake.

Can we leave it at that because honestly its talked to death and we've gone way off topic.

Your right, it has been talked to death, but I feel everything we discussed is relevant to the OP's original request for advice on a first rifle for his 16 year old nephew and in the end, the only reason worth posting is to give an honest answer to an honest question.
    ;)

Stephen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

Congrats, Which model did you go for? I collected a CZ 452 American in .17hmr about two months ago. I'm having great fun with it. Hope you not waiting too long for the paper work to come through.

its a brno as far as im aware

Advertisement