Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP Softmod

Options
  • 20-03-2010 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭

Dug my old PSP Phat out of a cupboard, took a picture of a hen and hey presto I had 5.50 GEN-D3 custom firmware installed.

What can I get out of this PSP now, aside from the obvious?

I have tried several homebrew apps, haven't found any good ones.

I just want to see what can be achieved on the homebrew side with a PS3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

do people actually use homebrew ? ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Inquitus wrote: »
    What can I get out of this PSP now, aside from the obvious?

The best thing to do with a modded psp is emulation. There are great emulators for everything up to and including ps1 (official sony ps1 emulator). Some great Neo Geo and arcade emulators too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

animaX wrote: »
    The best thing to do with a modded psp is emulation. There are great emulators for everything up to and including ps1 (official sony ps1 emulator). Some great Neo Geo and arcade emulators too.

Can you list the best emulators please?

Can you list the best emulators please?

The ps1 emulator (called popstation) is built into the psp firmware, so you already have that installed. You can play ps1 games on your psp using a guide like this. Don't worry about the popsloader part of the guide. That's only needed if your ps1 game doesn't load on your current firmware and you have to "emulate" another firmware. Most ps1 games will work perfectly straight up, once you've converted them to eboot format.

The best arcade emulators are:
    final burn alpha. You can find the latest version in that thread (or maybe the second to last version was better).

Capcom play system 2: cps2psp
    Capcom play system 1: cps1psp

As for consoles and stuff:

Gameboy advance: gPsp
    Neo Geo: MVSPSP
    Neo Geo CD: NCDZPSP
    SNES: snes9x tyl
    Sega Megadrive: picodrive
    Nes: nester j

They're the best in my opinion. There are also emulators for N64 (daedalus x64 - not full speed), gameboy (homers rin) etc but they're not as good.

Most of these emulators can be found easily on psp sites or from google searches.

animaX wrote: »
    The ps1 emulator (called popstation) is built into the psp firmware, so you already have that installed. You can play ps1 games on your psp using a guide like this. Don't worry about the popsloader part of the guide. That's only needed if your ps1 game doesn't load on your current firmware and you have to "emulate" another firmware. Most ps1 games will work perfectly straight up, once you've converted them to eboot format.

The best arcade emulators are:
    final burn alpha. You can find the latest version in that thread (or maybe the second to last version was better).

Capcom play system 2: cps2psp
    Capcom play system 1: cps1psp

As for consoles and stuff:

Gameboy advance: gPsp
    Neo Geo: MVSPSP
    Neo Geo CD: NCDZPSP
    SNES: snes9x tyl
    Sega Megadrive: picodrive
    Nes: nester j

They're the best in my opinion. There are also emulators for N64 (daedalus x64 - not full speed), gameboy (homers rin) etc but they're not as good.

Most of these emulators can be found easily on psp sites or from google searches.

Tnx a mil, will get some installed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Have a PSP 1003 that the chicken refuses to work on, have thried all alternate ways but it just freezes and turns off when i go to pictures.

Any thing else i can try?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Have a PSP 1003 that the chicken refuses to work on, have thried all alternate ways but it just freezes and turns off when i go to pictures.

Any thing else i can try?

Mines 1003 too, first up I tried Hen2.80 which didnt work after about 20 tries, then I upgraded to 5.03 and tried Hen5.03 which worked on like the 40th or so go.

Mine was freezing and turning off too, spoke to a few people from psp-hacks @ #psp-hacks on irc.dashhacks.com and they told me to persevere and that it could take up to 100 goes. They said freezing and turning off was it trying to work and just to keep at it, and they were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

why not just downgrade them or install cfw with a pandora battery job done 4 good

massy086 wrote: »
    why not just downgrade them or install cfw with a pandora battery job done 4 good

Cos the Hen hack is free, you don't have to buy a pandora battery online and wait for it to arrive, and it works.......eventually. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

were are u living i have a pandora

• Advertisement

massy086 wrote: »

Not all psp's can be downgraded. Trying to downgrade a psp with a newer motherboard will cause a brick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Cos the Hen hack is free, you don't have to buy a pandora battery online and wait for it to arrive, and it works.......eventually. :)
    you can get a pandora battery delivered for 4euros
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12472
    i got one from them before, no problems, came in a week,

lol sat down to give it 100 goes and it worked 1st time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭pah

Pandora is definitely the best way - have the CFW on my phat- play Metal Gear Solid, Tekken3, Tomb Raider PS1 backups on it. It's great :p

pah wrote: »
    Pandora is definitely the best way -

Nobody is disputing that pandora is a good method but the crucial point is that it WILL NOT work on all psps! Homebrew enablers will work on any psp (excluding the PSPGO) provided the firmware is 5.03 or below

dammit gone now :confused:

dreamers75 wrote: »
    dammit gone now :confused:

The homebrew enabler is a temporary hack which resides in the psp's ram. If you FULLY reboot the psp, it automatically wipes the ram clean. This gets rid of the homebrew enabler. You shouldn't fully reboot the psp, only put it into sleep mode. You'll have to load the homebrew enabler again!

Advertisement