Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimwitted rabbits

Options
  • 20-03-2010 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

Not as exciting as something living in my couch but my pair of rabbits are misusing their new rabbit hutch. The are sitting side by side shivering in the side that is open to the elements and using the cosy side as their toilet...
    How do I get them to go to the loo down the stair in the grassy run, or at least not in the cosy side, and get them to rest in the hay in the cosy side?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

try moving the poo and put some bedding in it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have you provided them with a litter tray? The litter tray needs to have a different form of litter/bedding in it. Eg plain newspaper weighed down with a brick. Then rub some of their wee on it and they will use it.

Remember though rabbits will poo everywhere they cannot help it so they won't use a tray for it, some do but usually they poop everywhere.

If you have a litter tray then move it up to where they are soiling now and eventually move it back down.

You need to clean out the cosy side, use vinegar, and then pop a litter tray on the other side and they should start using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Exactly what GuineaPigRescue said! I hope it works, mine have the same kind of hutch and are very good to go in the litter tray. It makes it so much easier. If they poop anywhere else other than the tray, then sweep up the poo and put it in the tray, and clean the other area with vinegar.

One of those small cat litter trays should fit, in does in mine. They're pretty cheap. I'd suggest putting it downstairs because my rabbits never poop upstairs.

Also most rabbits don't really like sleeping in the cosy side, unless it's raining and windy. They prefer being in the run or the open side, even on cold nights. They don't generally get very cold though, so it should be fine. Mine use the sleeping side when it rains or for my female she's just built a big nest in there :)

Oh and don't worry if they sit in the litter tray, they just love to do that. It's not a problem as long as it's kept clean. I use wood shavings in the tray and change it every morning, so they have somewhere dry to sit, otherwise their skin will be sore from the urine.

Good luck with toilet training them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

hey
    thanks for the tips. I dont mind where they poop cus they seem to hold the majority of that for the middle of the lawnand the rest is easy to sweep up.. But i'll definatley get a litter tray and use the vinegar. keep u updated!

Advertisement