Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insanely annoying ads

Options
  • 20-03-2010 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭

this has been doing my head in lately, there seems to be a new batch of ads that appear when you view threads which play audio... and have no mute button

thats hardly conductive to a solid boarding experience surely? its very annoying when youre listening to music only to be deafened by an ad about a bloody air freshener :mad:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Agreed, as a subscriber I dont see ads, but It is annoying on other sites..

Try greasemonkey plugin for firefox, that will get rid of the ads

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I havent seen these (and you'd think I would given my time on site) :)...

Which ads are they?

DeV.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I haven't notice these at all?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

DeVore wrote: »
    I havent seen these (and you'd think I would given my time on site) :)...

Which ads are they?

DeV.

im in canada, so it might be a regional thing

ill make a list, they appear in the bottom right hand side of the site tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Musical ads? Not seen or heard them.

lots, awful lots of BOD for a while last week.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Make a list of them... sounds like a regional google adwords thing...

DeV.

Not something I've thought about but I take it boards has no control over what google ads appear on site?

Make a list of them... sounds like a regional google adwords thing...

DeV.

will do

ironically, none have popped up since i made this thread lol

Try renaming this thread with the brand name of the air-freshner included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I'm based in North America as well. I also get these ads with audio. One of them has a big smiley face saying the phrase 'Congratulations you've won'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Molly wrote: »
    I'm based in North America as well. I also get these ads with audio. One of them has a big smiley face saying the phrase 'Congratulations you've won'
    That's the one that keeps popping up on me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Likewise, as a subscriber, I don't see them but if google ads or adtech are serving ads with audio then it's not good for boards. Lots of people (myself included) read the site whilst in work, the last thing we need is something like this alerting everyone in the office that you're on some 'dodgy' site.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

I'm in Canada, and get these ads as well. Its a pain in the hole tbh, as I usually have itunes playing while I browse Boards.

just had an airwick freshmatic ad 2 seconds ago with unmutable sound, first one since i posted this thread tho to be fair

Slightly different note, but just saw this for the first time, ruins the page

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f8/Sc13nceN3rd/Otha%20stuff/pain.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Thanks all. I'll look into this in the morning.

jsut had a lysol disinfectant ad scare the holy bejaysus out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Darragh wrote: »
    Thanks all. I'll look into this in the morning.

Cheers Darragh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I was JUST coming to start a thread about this!! VERY annoying, and at first, used to make me close down random youtube tabs and whatnot trying to find the source, eventually had so much crap open that I shut the entire browser..there's no indication on the boards page that any add is playing (other than audio) and it doesn't match the add at top of page.

It's happened a good few times and I think that most people hate websites / stop using websites with "forced" advertising. (such as blurring out screen and add popping up etc.). I'm sure this isn't intentional by the boards crew, but to give a heads up, it's very off putting to say the least.

nah, we hate that stuff too.... I hate to tell you yanks but its only you guys .... it must be Adwords geo-ip stuff... we'll find them and ban them from the site.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

nah, we hate that stuff too.... I hate to tell you yanks,and canucks but its only you guys .... it must be Adwords geo-ip stuff... we'll find them and ban them from the site.

DeV.
    Thank you kindly. Blasted things keep making me jump.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Slightly different note, but just saw this for the first time, ruins the page

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f8/Sc13nceN3rd/Otha%20stuff/pain.jpg

This happened me a couple of days ago as well.

On another note, you have only 7 PM's in your inbox? You certainly are not a hoarder. I have over 3k in mine atm.

Ok, this is very weird... its not Google and its not restricted to America (unless 5starpool has recently moved accross the pond). We've stopped a few things now to test so PLEASE do report any noisy ads you are served.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Is this Vodaphone ad on the right hand side of the home page there for everyone? It's for Vodafone.ie so I'd presume so.

boardsad.jpg

Ruins the page for me.

yeah i get that vodafone ad too

dont mind it tho, not noisy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Yeah, noticed the vodafone ad earlier on the front page today

As a subscriber, I have ads turned off, but still see them on the front page.

5starpool wrote: »
    This happened me a couple of days ago as well.

On another note, you have only 7 PM's in your inbox? You certainly are not a hoarder. I have over 3k in mine atm.
    I've 11 now :o

I don't pm a lot and tend to delete them every so often...

Yeah I noticed that ad too Xavi, it's not that bad really though

We've changed a few things here at lunch time so please please let us know if you are still seeing (and more importantly hearing) those noisy ads.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A few months ago I was having those malicious fly by downloads on boards. the thread is in Development but I dont think they were ever able to recreate the issue. It stopped after I disabled ads and added my sub

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ok, this is very weird... its not Google and its not restricted to America (unless 5starpool has recently moved accross the pond). We've stopped a few things now to test so PLEASE do report any noisy ads you are served.

DeV.

Just to clarify DeV, it was the big ad on top of the page I have seen (as per screenshot above in ScienceNerds post), the type you see at the bottom of the page only. I have not heard any noisy ads ever while browsing boards. This is a different issue I'd imagine.

Advertisement