Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to go on extensive bike journey -- need suggestions! :)

Options
  • 20-03-2010 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Hi,

As the subject says, I'm really keen to begin a long, challenging (even scary) trip across a large country or continent, and I'm looking for any suggestions on a country/continent, particularly from those of you who have already done something like this! It could be Africa, Europe, Canada, South America, anywhere. There's lots of organised tours everwhere, but all the ones I can find are a bit short (2 weeks or less) and end up where they begin. I am thinking more 2, 3 or 4 months.

I would hope to stay in hostels, and not camp.

I'm hoping to go from July onwards, and I have some savings, so money isn't really a big issue. Also, I'm currently pretty fit for the task (I can currently do 70km a day without killing myself), although I've never cycled in extreme heat or cold.

Any tips/suggestions/opinions appreciated! Oh, also, I plan on going solo, but if anyone else is interested, let me know. Basically I'm looking for a challenge, some eye opening, some soul searching, some fun, and to see more of the world than I've seen before.

Regards,
    Cormac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Suggestion. Start in Ireland the circumnavigate the coast of Ireland, Britain and Continental Europe (until there is no coast). Include all the med Islands and Scandiland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

rat_race wrote: »
    Also, I'm currently pretty fit for the task (I can currently do 70km a day without killing myself)

When you say 70km a day, is this everyday? I think you would want to start more specific training and being longer multiday cycles. Maybe Cycle to Cork or Galway and back over a 2 day stretch and see how you find it. Cycling with a fully loaded bike as you would have on this trip would also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Really envy you on this. Rok ons idea sounds good but if i had the time I would choose eastern europe and russia or south america. North america or canada would also be great but the cultural similarities etc may mean you miss out on an oppurtunity

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Good point from Dirk, doing a distance on a Saturday is very different from doing it day after day. FWIW though with multi-day events I have found it actually gets easier. The second day is the toughest but then it gets better. The more experience you have the better though.

If I were in your shoes I would be tempted to cycle to Istanbul. There are basically two options, either cycle down the length of Italy and get a ferry over to Greece or cycle through the Baltics. Cycling in Europe is pretty straightforward in the main compared to just about any other continent, there are roads and civilisation all over the place, with regular towns, hostels, etc. No crazy weather extremes either (relatively speaking) although cycling across Europe starting in July it is going to get hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I think this is what you're looking for

http://www.tourdafrique.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

I think this is what you're looking for:

http://www.northsea-cycle.com/

6000 kilometres, 7 countries.

Would love to do this myself.

DFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Here's a good place to see what other people have done or are planning to do:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/

DFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Try and emulate the late and legendary Göran Kropp:
    Göran Kropp is recognized around the world for his epic 1996 adventure when he rode his bike 8,000 miles from Sweden to Nepal, climbed Everest unaided and without O2 and biked home with his gear.
    this is a good read also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Then there are Dervla Murphy's travel books, in particular Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

gman2k wrote: »
    .... his epic 1996 adventure when he .... climbed Everest .... without O2

I didn't have a mobile phone in 1996 either:D

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    I didn't have a mobile phone in 1996 either:D

boom boom :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

Have a look at this guy, he'll be on BBC1 this Tuesday at 11:05 pm
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/cyclingtheamericas/
    Obviously, it's more of a sprint for him, but it may give you an idea of S. America.

It's worth cycling from Dublin - Waterford - Cork with your gear to give you some idea of what to expect.

TIP: Don't feel overwhelmed by any part of the trip. Planning will take of that. And count all the positives, no matter how well disguised they may be.

Good luck

Reminds me of Sunworshipper by Mylo from the Destroy Rock and Roll album ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

You could follow in the footsteps of this guy, who cycled along the route of the Iron Curtain. Adds a nice narrative aspect. If you like that sort of thing. :)

The EuroVelo routes would also be worth checking out. It's an ECF initiative which aims to develop a series of long distance routes criss-crossing Europe. The routes have all been identified, but they're not all fully developed as yet. According to that Wikipedia link:
    For a route to be part of EuroVelo it must:
    • have no gradient above 6%
    • be wide enough for two cyclists
    • have an average of no more than 1,000 motorised vehicles a day
    • be sealed for 80% of its length
    • be open 365 days a year, have provision points every 30 km (19 mi), accommodation every 50 km (31 mi), and public transport every 150 km (93 mi).
    The North Sea route mentioned above is EV12. I've been thinking about EV6 myself- in 6th Class I did a project on the Danube and it's a journey I've wanted to do ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭rat_race

All,

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Thinking about all of them now. I'm really thinking Europe now, just because it's least risky, and easiest to plan!

I'll let you know what exactly what I decide on, for anyone who is interested.

Regarding training, not particularly fit at the moment, but I have done some long distances for days in a row before. I agree, second day is hardest, then it gets easier and easier. But anyway, time is on my side, so I'm not worried if I over-estimate my mileage. I am not underestimating the physical challenge, half the reason I want to do this is to become fitter.

I have a question: I have two decent bikes, a road bike (Lapierre s-tech 400), and a mountain bike (hard tail Cube Reaction). I don't think I want to buy a hybrid or touring bike just for this.

I don't have the carriers, etc, yet, so can't test this yet, but I'm guessing the road bike won't do the job? Too unbalanced with weight. I'd probably be better off getting some narrowish tyres for the mountain bike. Opinions? :)

If you are sticking to roads and keep it halfway light you can do it on the road bike; it would certainly be preferable to the MTB for the distance. As you are not camping should be able to keep it reasonably light. I don't think that has eyelets for a rack but you can get one that attaches to the rear quick release and the hole the brake caliper attaches to. That is what I would do anyway. Make sure to try out whatever you decide for a few days around Ireland before you head off on a long one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

If your planning on some off road and being adventourous and going off the roads then I'd recommend the mountain bike but I'd consider getting a rigid fork which would save weight and reduce the possibility of mechanical issue's.

I'm using the following tyres on a cycle I'm doing in a few weeks from Tibet to Nepal over the Himalyas:

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20crosscountry.shtml

Using my mountain bike with rigid fork. Use this set-up before going accross nothern vietnam and it worked well.

When chosing your cycle remember the logistics in transporting your bike can be difficult so going by boat could be a good option.

If your planning on some off road and being adventourous and going off the roads then I'd recommend the mountain bike but I'd consider getting a rigid fork which would save weight and reduce the possibility of mechanical issue's.

I'm using the following tyres on a cycle I'm doing in a few weeks from Tibet to Nepal over the Himalyas:

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20crosscountry.shtml

Using my mountain bike with rigid fork. Use this set-up before going accross nothern vietnam and it worked well.

When chosing your cycle remember the logistics in transporting your bike can be difficult so going by boat could be a good option.

Sounds amazing man!

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. I can lock my front fork, so it is efficient on roads/uphills, BUT I dunno how good or safe that would be under weight. Thanks the the tyre suggestion.

That tyre looks good for Tibet/Nepal/Vietnam. Utterly unnecessary for Europe and will be painfully slow on road.

If you want to do a portion off-road I would take the MTB and get something like Schwalbe Marathons in 1.5". These will do light off-road fine while not being utterly painful on road if you pump them up hard for those bits. But you really need to think, how much off road are you likely to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

It's suprisingly easy to push on the road, I used them on my commuter for a few months and was happy with them. If sticking to the road then definitely go with a full slick but the cross country is a very light all rounder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Circumnavigate Australia.
    Huge country. Very varied landscapes. Some particularly arduous sections from Nth Qld to NT to WA. Mostly rainforest and desert.
    A huge amount of hostel accommodation is a plus.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Circumnavigate Australia.
    Huge country. Very varied landscapes. Some particularly arduous sections from Nth Qld to NT to WA. Mostly rainforest and desert.
    A huge amount of hostel accommodation is a plus.
    I would read some accounts of people who have done that before considering. Very challenging, probably more so than any other place on earth, there are large bits where you would be cycling for days between anything and would have to carry all your own water, food and tent.

Any description of cycling through the Australian desert I have read is basically that it is horrendous.

Elsewhere, plenty of opportunity to be killed by a road train and Australian drivers frankly don't have a good attitude towards cyclists. You could literally die if you run out of water.

Also long long long, you could quite literally cycle to China from here before you would finish a circumnavigation of Australia.

Certainly not for a first tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 kev23f

You could try cycling all or part of the Camino De Santiago, across northern spain.
    It fits most of your criteria, and you can stay in the cheap (or more often, free) refugio's or hostels, as long as you get a pilgrims passport in St jean Pied de Port.

I did this about 4 years ago, just short of 1000km in 10 days. Was woefully unprepared, but got on fine. I did it on a crappy hybrid bike, bought in france, sold it for a 100 euro in Santiago. You can cycle on the old camino trail itself, or else take to the roads, whichever takes your fancy.

It was one of the best trips of my life, if you have any questions just let me know. Here's a link with some basic info: Cycling the Camino

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

You would be more than welcome to join up with me.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055703695&highlight=vuelta

By the start of July (if my legs are still attached to my body) I should be on stage 8 of the tour.

Thanks for all the replies, guys! Some great ideas...still deciding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Personally I recommend a 2-3 month tour of France as Ive done that and loved it, but Im biased:D, you could put your finger on an atlas of europe and pick a 3000km~ route and go for it. What do you want? challenging terrain mountainous/poor roads, nice relaxed more fllat terrain? or an adventure with whatever happens?

Like I said I toured France for 2-3 months years back (02' I think it was)
    It is wonderfully diverse. I started in Nice, went up through the lower Massif Central through Gorge du Verdon (very scenic the grand canyon of europe!)
    in to and over Mt Ventoux (if u have to ask:D) then on through Avignon and Nimes and down southwest through Languedoc/Rousillion [region not town!]
    towards perpignon. Then traversed the whole spine of the pyrenees climbing about 50-100 passes which the tour de france uses ..to hendaye (Biarritz) then on a train (wasnt into riding the flat 'boring' SW of france) to..Grenoble [heart of Alps] and around the alps in a loop like the marmotte [again loaded touring all the way] - to Briancon and headed south back to Nice, we got on another train from Briancon to Nice [weather was looking foul for that last week, and we had enough on the marmotte loop!]

pretty much the whole summer...good times :), and fantastic wall to wall blue sky and hotness mostly, except in Pyrenees and Alps.

The route I did was mostly in the Lonely Plant 'Cycling France' book the first edition, there is a new edition out now last year, so not sure if the routes have changed or not? - would highly recommend ALL the info you could want including daily profiles, very usefull when in mountainous terrain.

France is great. Also consider doing the Camino de Santiago, you could start here and swing out a bit into Europe before following the route maybe from Switzerland through France and Spain. I've done it twice now and it is fantastic. Took 3.5 months the first time, 11 days the second :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I was thinking for next years epic charity trip I might do Carlow to Carlow

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 barrym91

Interesting site - www.revolutioncycle.ie first Irish circumnavigation on bike. Over 30,000k. Some great stories. They're returning May 15th I think.

Advertisement