Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse on trial..some advice?

Options
  • 20-03-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

I've had a horse on trial for the last 2/3 weeks.
    She's a 6 year old irish sport horse mare, who has been lunged, ridden on roads, flatwork. But no jumping yet.
    She has absolutely great conformation, and she's very good natured and seems to have a lot of potential.
    Now, she was a bit misbehaved the irst few days, but I'm putting it down to being in a new place as she is a lot quieter now.
    She's good for lunging except she tends to not take a lot of notice of the whip at times.
    I rode her around at a trot so far. And well...she seems pretty damn lazy. At the start she had no bother responding to the leg...but after a while she seemed to rather not listen. Even with a crop she was only a small bit more willing to move.

Any advice on getting her going? I don't want to be harsh with her, as she is still kind of young, but, I dont want to have to be nagging her to trot either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It doesn't sound natural that she doesn't want to trot, especially as she is six now. Maybe she has a back, hip or shoulder problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

I'd be thinking along the same lines as finbarr - wondering why she doesn't want to move forward rather than trying to force her to. It could be a physical problem, but it may just be bad schooling. But you need to identify the reason first and then you will be better placed to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Have you had her vet checked? I also think it may be a physical problem however I know of horses who are just lazy, whip or no whip, at trot, even at canter sometimes. They usually pick up when it comes to jumping though. She could be just naturally lazy and has never been taught to respect the whip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Thanks for the replies.

I've decided not to buy her anyway, just becauses I think I'd be better with a more experienced horse, as I havent really worked with inexperienced ones before, so would be scared of messing anything up!

Advertisement