Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd Grant payment?

Options
  • 20-03-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

hi there,
    Just wondering when the 3rd grant payment is usually made, I know it's sometime in April, but no idea when! Is it usually the start-middle-end? Things are getting tough so it would be great if anybody knew, that way I can budget more.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Depends on the the County Council and how fast they are process by the SAA i didn't get my 3rd until study week last year thanks to the pathetically slow people in the SAA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It'll depend on your County Council. This is one of my projects for the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭xinchao

Yeah they are really bad in SAA. you'd think they would contract temp. people to deal with the glut of payments they get. Think it took about two weeks for them to process last time. So end of April?...Wonderful!

Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Well they're not entirely to blame to be fair to them. Kilkenny CC is the only CC to have paid the 3rd installment as I type this. So, as Derek pointed out, it really is down to your CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Limerick County Council is normally the first week in April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

NTMK wrote: »
    Depends on the the County Council and how fast they are process by the SAA i didn't get my 3rd until study week last year thanks to the pathetically slow people in the SAA
    As Derek's correctly pointed out in the past, due to the system generally operated by the local authorities whereby they issue individual cheques to the college for each grant payment, each grant payment requires a staff member from SAA to physically go to Ulster Bank and lodge each one individually. Which they do once a week. The delay is far more the fault of the idiotic pre-computer age system operated by the local authorities for issuing payments than it is the fault of SAA. SAA have many problems, some of their own creation like the student records system, but beat them with things that actually are of their own creation and responsibility. If the local authorities actually had an efficient system of cheque processing and issuing, there wouldn't be much of a problem. The people who can effect a positive change all work in the local authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

sceptre wrote: »
    As Derek's correctly pointed out in the past, due to the system generally operated by the local authorities whereby they issue individual cheques to the college for each grant payment, each grant payment requires a staff member from SAA to physically go to Ulster Bank and lodge each one individually.

If it means I'll get my grant sooner I'd lodge my own check!!

Why not let us collect them from SAA??
    I'd rather queue there for 6 hours that keep seeing €9.16 as my balance when I go check the ATM because the whole process is taking forever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daithi_lacha

Sarah I'm not sure that you quite understand the background work that must be put in before you're ever given clearance to get a grant in the first place. It would be outragous for SAA to take on all this work - the about of paperwork is colossal in terms of salaries and tax deductions for the previous year. Leave it out-of-house as much as possible.

As it stands, it's up to your own CC to get the payment to you in time. If you're not getting it in time, then you can either chase them down over it, or ask Derek to point you in the right direction. Blaming SAA is really not going to solve a whole lot.

For the record, South Dublin County Council are always extremely prompt with my grant - happy out :cool:

For the record, South Dublin County Council are always extremely prompt with my grant - happy out :cool:

Can we introduce them to Limerick City Council to see if any of their good habits rub off?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

SarahBeep! wrote: »

I'd rather queue there for 6 hours that keep seeing €9.16 as my balance when I go check the ATM because the whole process is taking forever!!

same here i know for a fact that my 3rd was in the SAA office for at least 2 weeks before i recieved it. the fact is the SAA is very poorly managed they only have one person processing the grant cheques

• Advertisement

Like someone said about, get in someone short term to deal with this like!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

Depending on how the Unions decide to go with the new proposal then hopefully in a year or two this will not be an issue. "Modernizing" the public sector including county council and similar authorities is one of the first things to be done. This is basically telling them that computers are much much better at filing that they are.

xinchao wrote: »
    Yeah they are really bad in SAA. you'd think they would contract temp. people to deal with the glut of payments they get.
    You'd think, except there's a widely publicised and firm embargo on recruitment in the Public Service.

Because that would require someone to be there to check who you are, find your cheque among about 1,400 others and then hand it to you, taking more time than it does currently.
    As it stands, it's up to your own CC to get the payment to you in time. If you're not getting it in time, then you can either chase them down over it, or ask Derek to point you in the right direction.
    Actually, this is only the Case for Dublin City VEC and Dublin South CC, all the others send cheques to the University....a project of mine as I said. The other Councils need new software to do it.
    Like someone said about, get in someone short term to deal with this like!!
    Embargo, no can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Has anybody got their 3rd Grant from Limerick City Council?...It's Very Annoying having to wait!O Well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 tweety_bird

Has anybody got their 3rd Grant from Limerick City Council?...It's Very Annoying having to wait!O Well!

nope i havent, got mine 19th of april last year.hoping it comes soon. If a grant is upposed to help you through college, is there a point in giving it out when theres 2 weeks in college?? About a month ago would have been much better!!

The Limerick County Council posted out the cheques last Friday, so whoever is with the Limerick Co. Co. "should" recieve their third installment this week.

I've checked and Limerick Co. Council Grants have not yet been received by UL.

Kerry Co. Council
    Monaghan Co. Co
    Co. Wicklow VEC
    Co. Cavan VEC

Your cheques are due be lodged on Tuesday

Co. Galway VEC
    Co. Monaghan VEC
    Co. Carlow VEC
    Co. Offaly VEC

Your cheques are due to be lodged on Wednesday

Co. Clare VEC
    Your cheques are due to be lodged on Thursday

Limerick City Council
    Your cheques are due to be lodged tomorrow Week

ninty9er wrote: »
    I've checked and Limerick Co. Council Grants have not yet been received by UL.
    I know, as I said they posted them last Friday, so UL won't be recieving them until at least tomorrow (Monday)

I know, as I said they posted them last Friday, so UL won't be recieving them until at least tomorrow (Monday)

That means you're on for a middle of week 12 lodgement. Unfortunate, but you should be able to get a grant advance from your bank if you show them your confirmation and that you're due payment 3.

ninty9er wrote: »
    That means you're on for a middle of week 12 lodgement. Unfortunate, but you should be able to get a grant advance from your bank if you show them your confirmation and that you're due payment 3.
    Ah I won't bother, as long as I know it's on the way is the main thing. I'm doing an MA so I will be here until the end of June in any case, so there is no panic.

Bad for everyone else though, I mean Week 12 getting your final installment:confused:

Thanks for the info...

• Advertisement

Any sign of this shaggin grant coming from the Limerick County Council? it's a joke at this stage....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

:mad: I'm so riled about this. Surely lodgements could be done at least weekly? Week 13 by the time it finally lands in my account.

Unacceptable in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

iv heard nobody mention anything about the Cork county council.. anyone here receive anything from them yet???
    or could anyone tell me where i could go in the college to check if they have it?

You should have it by now. Contact SAA in the Main Building or SAA@ul.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

dont have it yet anyway.. where is the SAA office? is that the one up the stairs on the left as you go into the ski slopes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Third grant payment for Limerick City Council came through this week

sadly, all mine is owed out so I don't get to see it :(

croker1 wrote: »
    dont have it yet anyway.. where is the SAA office? is that the one up the stairs on the left as you go into the ski slopes?
    That's the one.

Advertisement