Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reluctantly crouched at the starting line...

Options
  • 20-03-2010 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

Ok, so this is my sub 4 hour 2010 Dublin City Marathon training log.

Firstly some background...I have done a few races over the last few years but im far from fit and to be honest I getting to the stage where its really starting to annoy me. I did the St Patricks Day 5k in dublin in about 24 minutes and when I looked around and saw some of the people finishing at the same time it horrified me-fair play to them but people twice my age were beating me!!

I have no excuses, Im a twenty six year old who's gotten lazy.

It stops now. Im going to start with the basics, lose a stone of fat, run at least four times a week and clean up my diet.

Ran three miles today. Slow and painful. Have to start somewhere I guess :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome to the logs, and good luck :)

Have you decided on any particular training plan for DCM?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Good for you, best of luck with your goals. Enjoy your running.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Welcome and good luck. Have you ever run a marathon before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Best of luck with the training. I wouldn't get too disheartened by seeing older people finish ahead of you. Loads of them are savage runners. I'm encouraged to see so many finish ahead of me in races as I possibly have time to improve.

As a way to spur you on: A lot of people have good intentions and start a training log here. Many logs die a death. Keep that in mind when you feel like skipping a session out of lazyness. Don't be one of them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies.

No I havent ran a marathon before. I did the half marathon as part of the adidas race series last year but thats the furthest Ive ever ran. I cant remember my exact time but it was over two hours so Id like to be a lot faster than that.

In relation to marathon training plans I havent decided for sure yet. Ive looked up a couple of different ones online. I know that Hal Higdon's plans are quite popular and seem to be good?

To be honest I am just trying to get into a regular habit of running at the moment, I have a basic knowledge of what is needed and just want to get some miles into my legs. Hopefully include some speed sessions etc too as I find that I can plod along at a slow pace but any speed at all and im knackered straight away!

• Advertisement

Four miles tonight. 41 minutes - aka slow.

Knackered today for some reason. Random pains were the theme of the night. Pity because it was a nice warm night for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Hal Higdon also does a spring training programme which is designed to build up to the 18 week marathon training. Might be worth a look.

RayCun wrote: »
    Hal Higdon also does a spring training programme which is designed to build up to the 18 week marathon training. Might be worth a look.

-Thanks for that. Definitely will take a look.

No running today. Went for a spin on the bike instead. About 25k in 1hr 10 mins. Bit of rain but enjoyable. First smell of cut grass. The summer is on the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Hey,

Thanks for the good wishes on my log - hoping typing it all out provides a little bit of extra motivation.

That was a very impressive night of cross training, well done!

Probably do you good in the long term to give your legs a break after the pains. I'm finding the actual impact the worst thing, not getting too tired, just the effect of the pounding on my feet and lower legs. May have to invest in a bike myself!

Will keep an eye on your log, helps to read about people at a similar level and how they're getting on. Best of luck.

First ever "speed session" tonight. I use the term loosely as it was a bit of an experimental version.

Warm up jog 1 mile,

Fast run 300 metres, jogging back to start. Did this four times and it killed me. Running fast is completely alien to me at the moment

Then I went with about 6 sprints of about 60 metres Jogging/walking back each time.

Warm down jog 1 mile.

Bit of a messy, all over the place type of session but im just experimenting with running fast so its better than nothing.

Knackered after this. I know its not a lot but it took it out of me.

On a side note can anyone recommend any speed sessions that can be done on a gaa pitch using the markings as a guide?

• Advertisement

Poor weekend. Drinking after work Friday which meant Saturday was a write off. Went for a cycle today - 40k.

Still feeling the effects of the drink from Friday. That'll be last big session for a while. Total waste of a weekend.

Still, a cycle is better than nothing. Back to it tomorrow.

5 miles in 48 minutes.

Think I was still sweating the beer off from the weekend. Happy to get it done anyway

Tuesday 30th - Knees a little tender so I did about half an hour of foam rolling. Seemed to help. When I try to do my IT band area its extremely sore and tight so I think this may be causing some of my knee pain. Trying to run on grass as much as possible, stretch more and use the foam roller more.

Wednesday 31 - 1 mile warm up. About 30-40 of sprints, varying disances. Again knackered after so hopefully its doing some good

Thursday 01/04 - Was hoping to get out today but seem to be coming down with something. Lemsips all the way and hopefully that will kill it off before it kicks in properly. If Im feeling ok ill try to go out first thing tomorrow.

Was away for weekend which, combined with sore throat, meant no running. Swimming twice though. Fifty lengths of hotel pool on both occasions.

Four miles in 40 minutes. Running isnt easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Good to see you are still plugging away. Consistancy is the key. Keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Good to see you are still plugging away. Consistancy is the key. Keep it going.

+1 on that - adaptations occur over time, you will improve! Good luck

One hour of 5 a side soccer tonight.

I suppose consistency is the key. Not always easy to remember that sometimes though!

Three miles 24.48

Warm weather and an unfit runner are not the best combination sometimes! On the plus side I probably sweated a few pounds off :D

Not sure of distance today as I was running around a few football pitches in a local field but kept going for 1 hour 7 minutes, including a strong finish up a big hill home so Im happy with that.

Onwards and upwards!

• Advertisement

That's great stuff, Well done. Maybe you're solar powered :)

You were probably over seven miles judging by your times.

37 kilometre cycle. Can only be described as fun on a night like tonight. Amazing how much easier everything is in good weather!

I got on the bike and the first song on the ipod was AC/DC "you shook me all night long" - sprinting music if ever I heard some. Plenty of races with buses and random cars. Easily amused...

4 miles 38.09. Hot and sweaty.

Busy week and sore knees so few days off with stretching and foam rolling.

Back at it today, cycling 70k. Bit easier on the knees.

One hour and eight minutes. Random route around dublin city centre. Really enjoyed the fact that I was just running without a specific route. Made the whole thing a lot less of a chore. Getting bored doing the same route all the time

On the minus side I have no idea what distance I ran. Judging on usual pace I suppose i would have made 7 miles... ish. Hopefully anyway.

Went to watch the Great Ireland run yesterday. Glad I didnt do it, crowds were crazy, I think I would have suffered from road rage. Some great times by some people on here though, fair play.

Hopefully this works. Bit of an explanation for the name of the log...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__PU5CVSegg

Another random ramble. 55 minutes. Distance unknown!

Long day at work today so I was knackered during this. Early night ahead.

Thinking strongly about signing up to the Dublin marathon this week. Dont want to jinx it by signing up too early though. Although it would make it a lot more real. Decisions decisions...

Another random ramble. 55 minutes. Distance unknown!

Long day at work today so I was knackered during this. Early night ahead.

Thinking strongly about signing up to the Dublin marathon this week. Dont want to jinx it by signing up too early though. Although it would make it a lot more real. Decisions decisions...

Thinking the same thing myself. Might try get a half in first to convince myself I can do it.

Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Go on, take the plunge!

It's six months away, so if you decide you're going to do it you have plenty of time for the training. But if you don't decide you're going to do it, you might keep putting off the training until it's too late. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Advertisement

Disaster of a week for running. Caught a bug or something Thursday so I was in bed for few days. No running/sport in general. Managed a swim yesterday, no time to do anything today. Lots to catch up on in work

Concerned about my kness which are sore/stiff even though I havent ran in a few days? Im going to see a physio next week hopefully. No time this week. I have been ignoring sore knees for a long time now so its time to stop farting about and get it sorted. For the rest of the week im going to try keep the impact off my knees so cycling will be the name of the game.

Tried to sign up to the Dublin Marathon Sunday but Im waiting on a new credit card at the minute and they dont accept laser. Which is annoying because I had psyched myself up? Onwards and upwards Ill sign up soon hopefully.

Advertisement