Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reluctantly crouched at the starting line...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

32k spin on bike tonight. Would have been longer except the battery went in my front light.

Booked appointment with physio next Tuesday to try sort out my knees.

What a horrible morning. Got absolutely soaked.

Cycled from Dubin city centre to Glendalough, bit over 100km. Delighted - first time to do 100 on my own. Annoying that I wont be running this weekend but at least I got some exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Hey girv, I'd love to go sub 4 at the DCM, best of luck with the goal and training

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

'Some exercise' is putting it mildly! Great work, well done. Will help you ease back into the running no bother I'm sure, fitness wise.

Good news and bad news from the physio.

The good - he doesnt think the knee pain is too serious. Seems to be muscular imbalance in my legs more than anything. Usual story of certain parts not being strong enough which is causing the knee joint to pull out of place slightly and putting stress on the kneecap. He seems confident that its easily fixed if I do the exercises he showed me. So thats good. Its a relief that its not something serious.

The bad - no running for a week at least. On the positive side I can cycle though. So at least I can do something. And the exercises I have to do are tough work so thats good too. Hopefully they will build up my legs and help prevent future injuries.

So its a week of cycling and leg/core exercises ahead before another trip to the physio next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

Best of luck with the the physio work, you'll be back on ur feet in no time! Cycling is such a great sport to coincide with running so your fittness will only improve!

Decided to take the week off from cycling as well as running. Best way to see how sport is affecting my knees.

So its been a frustrating week. Doing my exercises/stretches once a day. Quite tough actually. Back to the physio tomorrow. Hopefully it will be good news. It'll take a while to build up my legs I suppose.

I just want to get all the niggly injuries sorted so that I can get into training for this marathon properly.

Pretty sure Im just going to use the Hal Higdon novice training plan. Seems to be the tried and trusted method for a first marathon.

Hey there, keep the chin up, you'll be back soon and well set for marathon training.

Going to use that plan myself, seems the best option for not getting wrecked training yet still getting you there on the day.

And its over before it even began...

Physio says not a hope of a marathon with my knees the way they are. Have to say Im really p*ssed off. Obviously sorting this out is the best thing in the long run but now its just like giving up.

Anyway no point in keeping this going. It'll be a good while before Im even doing short runs.

Best of luck to everyone with training! And dont ignore injuries - they dont go away!!

Sorry to hear the bad news. I hope you can get it sorted out for good now.

And then come back to us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

really sorry to hear that, i can only imagine how frustrating it is, espeially when you get yourself psyched for the challenge, but as you say, in the long term its much better to get it sorted, there will be other chances with other marathons, and there will be one thats meant for you! All the best, and good luck with the knees!

Advertisement