Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit losing fur

Options
  • 20-03-2010 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

hi,

I have a year old rabbit and the past week he is losing lots of his fur, i do pet him and loads fur coming away, is this normal?, he got nutered about 1 month ago?
    Any help i would appreciate, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

Is he losing it in patches, where you can see the skin? Or is it more of a continual loss like hairs coming out all over and occasionally clumps but where there is no skin showing. It could be a skin condition, it could be that he is simply molting (rabbits shed about 4 times a year with one fairly big molt, whereby they lose their undercoat), it could be stress. If you don't think he's molting then I'd say a trip to the vets is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭squeky

hi,
    No he is not losing it in patches where i can see the skin, yes it is a continual loss of hair coming out all over and sum clumps but there is no skin showing or baldness, how would i know for sure its just molting? i did think myself it was just molting as when i brush him, lots strands come onto the brush.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

Well it sounds to me as though he is simply molting. If he is not scratching then I wouldn't worry too much. (If he is then its a possible different matter). Obviously its hard to tell for sure, especially without seeing the bun. If he is molting then it should stop within in a couple of weeks. You can help him by brushing his fur, this will stop him potentially swallowing any as he cleans himself (which can be harmful to their digestive system). If it would put your mind at ease I would suggest even ringing the vet, I know most won't mind giving you some advice over the phone. :) My buns are actually molting atm. Fur flying everywhere!

Reeni wrote: »
    Well it sounds to me as though he is simply molting. If he is not scratching then I wouldn't worry too much. (If he is then its a possible different matter). Obviously its hard to tell for sure, especially without seeing the bun. If he is molting then it should stop within in a couple of weeks. You can help him by brushing his fur, this will stop him potentially swallowing any as he cleans himself (which can be harmful to their digestive system). If it would put your mind at ease I would suggest even ringing the vet, I know most won't mind giving you some advice over the phone. :) My buns are actually molting atm. Fur flying everywhere!

Thanks Reeni, no he is not scratching himself at all, just the normal cleaning himself!!, ya i do brush his fur all the time, i will leave him another while then i will say it to the vet when im bringin my pup to him for his yearly checkup,
    thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Sounds like moulting. Maybe it could be something to do with being neutered and hormon changes aswell, I'm not sure but female animals can lose hair after giving birth because of hormones, so maybe. If he's fine in a few weeks, and no scabs or scratching, then it was probably moulting :)

• Advertisement

morganafay wrote: »
    Sounds like moulting. Maybe it could be something to do with being neutered and hormon changes aswell, I'm not sure but female animals can lose hair after giving birth because of hormones, so maybe. If he's fine in a few weeks, and no scabs or scratching, then it was probably moulting :)

morganafay,

I will keep close eye on his fur for scabs but there is nothing at the moment, i would say myself its just molting to, but thanks for your reply..

Advertisement