Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable Accounting Abbreviations

Options
  • 20-03-2010 9:07pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As a lot of you know, Accounting is an exam in timing as well as knowledge!

What abbreviations are acceptable in the accounts (I know you are allowed abrieviate in your workings)? Not including Published Accounts of course, as they must be layed out in a certain way.

Am I right in saying that the following abbreviations are acceptable in the accounts?
    Depr.
    R+R (Rent and Rates)
    L+B (Land and Buildings)
    F+F (Fixtures/Furniture and Fittings)
    L+H (Light and heat)
    y.e. (year ended)
    d/y (During year)
    Reval. (Revaluation)

Are there any others that are allowed? Am I allowed to write Div(s). for Dividends, or do I need the whole word in full.

There seems to be no information online about it, but I don't want to lose marks for abbreviating in the accounts where it isn't allowed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

According to my teacher (but don't take this as true because I have practically taught myself for the last two years because I find her methods emm useless)

Anyways, according to her because the grind schools were teaching their students to write absolutely no words and just figures that it is too risky to not put in full words and no abbreviations because the department could just decide to penalise you for not writing full words if there are too many A's.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

All the above are right also sundry expenses can become s.exp - make sure to put the p in our it could become very dodgy.

There are loads more - ill put them up as I think of them (most my work is abbreviations)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

opening stock - op stock
    closing stock - cl stock
    Factory overheads - FO
    Variable overheads -VO
    Administration expenses - admin exps
    provision for bad debts - PBD
    Debtors - dbtrs
    Creditors - crdtrs
    Revaluation Reserve - reval res (may only be acceptable in workings?)
    Interest - Int
    5% Investments - 5% Inv
    Buildings - Bldgs
    Clubhouse and Court - C¬C
    Insurance - Ins
    Balance b/d - Bal b/d
    Balance c/d - Bal c/d
    Disposal - Disp
    Land and Buildings - L¬B
    Machinery - Mach
    Purchases - Purs
    Fertiliser - Fert
    Depreciation - dep
    Capital Employed - Cap emp
    Number of Ordinary Shares - no of ord shares
    Operating Profit - op prof
    Net Book Value - NBV
    Equipment - Equip
    Capital Introduction - cap intro
    Overheads - ohds
    Materials Budget - Mat budget
    Production Budget - Prod budget

I am not sure if these are acceptable in the theory part of the paper so play it safe and write out the full words. They are most certainly not acceptable in The Published accounts section.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for the replies!

What about Saleries and General Expenses - can that be written as Sals. and Gen. Exp., or is that going a bit overboard?

Also, instead of 'Amortised' or 'Written Off', can I just write 'w/o' e.g. Bad Debts w/o, Patents w/o?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

W/O is definitely acceptable and I'd say Sals. and Gen Exp. are fine as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement