Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trend jig

Options
  • 20-03-2010 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

anyone else use the trend 1 piece jig for hanging doors what a brilliantly thought out tool this is ,adjustments from 32 doors to 30 only takes seconds which was somthing i often wondered about.have swung 21 doors with 3 hinges on in a day[8 to 5] doorframes have to be good to achieve this no. of course but its 5 more than i would do usually. anyone considering buying one dont hesitade should have got mine 10 years ago

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Did you fit the locks and handles as well in that day? I havent used one but wish I had one. I love all these kind of gadgets to make work more efficent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

Did you fit the locks and handles as well in that day? I havent used one but wish I had one. I love all these kind of gadgets to make work more efficent.
    locks and handles as well not a chance.have a trend lock jig as well but you have to make your own for reciever and the reciever can vary 21 locks handles and recievers plus doorstops would take another day and a half i have no lock morticer was going to buy a mafell one but only 220 ones available one of those would speed things up by a bit

Jaysus I was thinking you couldn't fit the lock and handles as well as hang that many doors in one days work. Still that's good going. it would take me about and hour and a half to hang a door and fit the locks and handles if the frame is good and it doesn't require me to plane the door.

Do you think that is a long time? I don't hang a lot of doors. Just the odd few here and there depending on what kind of shop I am fitting.

Jaysus I was thinking you couldn't fit the lock and handles as well as hang that many doors in one days work. Still that's good going. it would take me about and hour and a half to hang a door and fit the locks and handles if the frame is good and it doesn't require me to plane the door.

Do you think that is a long time? I don't hang a lot of doors. Just the odd few here and there depending on what kind of shop I am fitting.
    nothing wrong with an hour and a half for 1 door lock and handle you have twice the amount of tools on the go doing it this way. i would do ten doors max in a day with lock etc ps all doors should be slightly beveled on both sides this is only way for satisfactory gaps and the door not to be hingebound

How much bevel would you recommend? I do the hinges with a chisel and hammer. I drill the locks out with a 16mm bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

GalwayD18

3 degrees of bevel is considered standard practice on sides and top. A scribe is essential also.

S&Pepper

How long does it take to fit and hang an exterior door, including locks etc. ?

What is a scribe? Sorry but I have never heard of that in relation hanging a door.

S&Pepper

How long does it take to fit and hang an exterior door, including locks etc. ?
    if frame is in already and pretty well fitted. 3hinges a letterbox and 5 lever deadlock plus ordinary door catch on top a half day i suppose

GalwayD18

3 degrees of bevel is considered standard practice on sides and top. A scribe is essential also.
    personaly i dont bevel top of door ever and not sure of what a scribe is

• Advertisement

Thanks S&P10 , that's good going.

Lads,
    A scribe in my book is a carpenters compass or dividers. Some old guys call them preachers,priests popes, in other words infallible. :D:D
    Take the loose (right) pin out and insert stub of a pencil.

st306468a.jpg

Why would you need that to hang a door?

GD,

It makes fitting almost anything easier especially out of square & plumb ( isn't everything to some degree) :D ..... jambs, cabinets to walls and ceilings etc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

That's no ordinary compass though, I recognise that one, it's made by Starret USA and a very fine compass it is too!

JOA

Starret it is.

There are many others, not as well made for sure, but they will get the job done. I have seen on the job versions made with scrap lucite, etc. ... what have you.

Ya tru nothing is perfect unless you do it yourself! I never use a compass for scribing fillers etc. I use a scrap piece of timber the same size as the filler I am scribing. Attach the filler piece to the face of the cabinet and then use the scrap piece of timber to scribe your line and what is left over is a perfect fit provided you stick to the line.

Hope this pic make is more clearer what I am saying.

GW
    The Pic not , but your use of scrap pieces sure does. ;)

Ya I thought the pic wasn't good alright. Sorry its just a crappy paint job. I'm more used the fine art of autocad for doing drawings.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

Ya tru nothing is perfect unless you do it yourself! I never use a compass for scribing fillers etc. I use a scrap piece of timber the same size as the filler I am scribing. Attach the filler piece to the face of the cabinet and then use the scrap piece of timber to scribe your line and what is left over is a perfect fit provided you stick to the line.

Hope this pic make is more clearer what I am saying.

That is how you scribe something

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

recently got a hinge jig and lock jig on ebay for 150 euro. its a 2 piece jig works great tho on doors and frame fully adjustable and the lock jig comes with loads of templates for different locks and there face plates. great pieces of kit

• Advertisement
Advertisement