Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to improve my chances of finding work?

Options
  • 20-03-2010 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hey all,

Thinking of going to Oz for a WHV at the end of the year. I'm hoping to get some office temp work or something like that to keep me ticking over money-wise.

My question is - what kind of stuff would look good on my CV if I go looking for this kind of work? Is there any kind of skills that recruitment agencies value in jobseekers over other candidates?

I mean, I've a little office experience, and I'm pretty good with computers and that, but if there are any computer programs, or specific things I could be doing from now until I leave to increase my chances of getting work, I'd love to hear about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

A lot of office temp work jobs require you to have good Word and Excel skills. They won't be essential to getting a job, but very favourable if you can use them and use them well, fast typing and all that. Some agencies will make you take an online test to determine your skill level. If you're not very comfortable with Office, start practicing. There are sites with free information available to help you learn. If you have office 2007 or 2010, have a look at downloading Ribbon Hero from Microsoft. It's a free game that helps you learn how to use office.

On top of those, you should be able to multitask efficiently. I'm not in that kind of work myself, but i've seen first hand some of the work loads office temps are given, with little pay, while managers who barely know how to use the telephone are paid a small fortune to look important. :mad:

Advertisement