Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shutter/Mirror making a strange noise?

• 20-03-2010 9:34pm

Hey all,

Have an Olympus E-420. There's a button on the back that you can press to flick between using the viewfinder and LCD to take your photos with.

When I switch from LCD to viewfinder it usually makes a quick snapping noise (I believe these are the noises of the mirror lifting and dropping? but I'm not entirely sure).

Anyway, today I was taking photos (lots of them) and took a two hour break. Upon commencing back after my two hour break, the shutter noise is funny (not 'haha' funny :( ).

Instead of sounding like a quick snap of the mirror, it sounds like the same noise again, but about five times over, really fast. It sounds like the mirror is on a clicker system or something, and it clicks five times when it drops (to give an idea of what I mean).

I'm not that familiar with these things, but it sounds to me like the mirror is catching on something?

Anyone got any idea if there's any way I can figure out what this may be, without having to pay some pro to look at it for me?

I've had it about a year now, if that's any help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Is this happening when you take a picture normally i.e. eye to the viewfinder or just when you swap to and from liveview?

When I take a picture too. Happens on the first shutter (opening?) noise. Also happens when the camera is turned off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Doesn't sound good, did it get a knock? or did you maybe set it down a bit hard when on your break?

I was reading up on the E-410, model just before yours, and remember the reviewer complaining the mirror can be a bit 'whacky' when you switch to Live view, and it can be a little slow. But there was nothing mentioned about a problem like this.

Try going into the camera menus, set mirror lock up (could be called vibration reduction) to its longest setting and see when the noise occurs on mirror lift or when the shutter opens.

There's an 'anti shock' i can find, and can set it to two seconds, but it doesn't do anything.

I took the lens off and looked into the camera, and switched between LCD and Viewfinder a few times. Now, I'm not familiar with the inside of the DSLR system, so I don't know any terminology or anything.

camera-front.jpg

See there's the small rectangular part in the centre (the mirror?), well in behind that there is a piece of plastic or something (the shutter I believe) that drops down at the same time as the mirror (upon switching back to viewfinder mode). It's that piece thats making the noise.

When it's dropping it seems to drop several times from the halfway-down position. I don't know if it's catching something or anything like that.

It happens so fast that it's very difficult to actually say what is happening.

Hasn't affected photos yet (that I've noticed) so that's a good thing I guess.

EDIT: Where the circle is on the image below:

issuesg.jpg

Edit again: I try to take really good care of my camera. When it has the flash gun and 40-150mm lens on it, due to its weight, I let it hang upside down over my shoulder. I don't go rough with it or anything, and I try my best to look after it (no bumps or bruises) so I don't think it took a beating at all. Could leaving it upside down make any difference (i doubt it?)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I will be brutally honest...tis looking bad.

I will be brutally honest...tis looking bad.

It's less than a year old... would argos take care of it for me? (have the receipts and all, etc.)

Oh crap ... Argos! ... not known for their amazing customer service. They'll try claim you bashed it somehow. How much less than a year old? receipt should help, and any warranty you may have sent off?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

Oh crap ... Argos! ... not known for their amazing customer service. They'll try claim you bashed it somehow.

They shouldn't give a ****, it's under manufacturer's warranty. They may not send it back on the basis that it's making a funny noise, though. Tell them it's locking up too.

Bought it in June, i think. Mid June possibly. I have the receipt, box, lens, etc. so I shouldn't have any issues, hopefully.

They will send it to Olympus though, I know that for sure, and I certainly didn't do any damage to it (I've never dropped or bumped it today that I know of, and I try to take as much care as I can).

• Advertisement

VisionaryP wrote: »
    They shouldn't give a ****, it's under manufacturer's warranty. They may not send it back on the basis that it's making a funny noise, though. Tell them it's locking up too.

Thing is, Argos are notorious for being cnuts. Just making the point they're not the best to deal with personally, warranty or not.

make usre it wasn't just a 6mth warranty, or you're feckered.

It's within a year with Argos. I know that they will definitely give it to Olympus to look over.

My only issue is what will Olympus say? The camera is immaculate (aside from this obviously!) so they better not tell argos I was abusing it!

Question; is this likely to get worse? as i say, it hasn't affected pictures at all, so...? :confused:

If its just an annoying noise, I can live with that....

The E-450 comes with a 2 Year manufacturer's guarantee. Doubt mine would be any different.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055860107

Don't ever consider the 'it might be alright, might go away' option. If you're going to get it sorted, do it NOW!

It might be alright for a while, a minor irritation, but think a few months down the line. When that noise gets worse, and it does start to affect your pictures. You'll be raging you didn't get it sorted sooner. I'd rather a week or two without a camera, then have it back in perfect working order, than bear with it for now and lose it later because I didn't get it sorted.

I'm probably exaggerating about Argos, most of them are probably fine, just head for a salesperson you think looks cool, non-ignoramous :cool:

On a side note [and slightly OT], besides that problem, would you recommend olympus? I was in negotiation with a seller for an E-410, very much similar to your model. He was willing to trade with me for my xbox bundle plus cash. Thing is, I've since gone for a Sony A200 because it seems a better deal [50mm lens inc] and i'll go for that so long as the seller is genuine and follows through on sale. But my back up is the olympus for now, so besides the mirror problems [which seem rare] how do you find it?

Definitely get it sorted ASAP, even if the pic are OK it'll eventually go totally when you really need your camera and then you'll be in real trouble.

AFAIK all Olys bought in Europe have a 2 year warranty so you're well covered.

Don't ever consider the 'it might be alright, might go away' option. If you're going to get it sorted, do it NOW!

It might be alright for a while, a minor irritation, but think a few months down the line. When that noise gets worse, and it does start to affect your pictures. You'll be raging you didn't get it sorted sooner. I'd rather a week or two without a camera, then have it back in perfect working order, than bear with it for now and lose it later because I didn't get it sorted.

I'm probably exaggerating about Argos, most of them are probably fine, just head for a salesperson you think looks cool, non-ignoramous :cool:

On a side note [and slightly OT], besides that problem, would you recommend olympus? I was in negotiation with a seller for an E-410, very much similar to your model. He was willing to trade with me for my xbox bundle plus cash. Thing is, I've since gone for a Sony A200 because it seems a better deal [50mm lens inc] and i'll go for that so long as the seller is genuine and follows through on sale. But my back up is the olympus for now, so besides the mirror problems [which seem rare] how do you find it?

Well I'm not the most knowledgeably photographer in the world. I'm just at the very, very beginning of learning about DSLR photography.

In saying that though, I do like the Olymnpus. I have a Canon 20D that I picked up a few weeks ago, and though I'm learning how to use it slowly, I still tend to favour using the Olympus, and any additional accessories I've purchased (Flash Gun, Zoom lens) have been for the Olympus (though in saying that, the lens did work out cheaper for the olympus, but the flash gun was the same price irrelevant of which brand I got it for).

The only problem with the Olympus I've had is this. Out from that it's been grand. It's also nice and small. Though that can be bad, as when I was using it yesterday, I was holding it for hours with a flashgun on it, and due to it's size it doesn't really have a proper grip for your hand, so my hand became sore holding it (don't know if that's actually due to a lack of a grip though, as I've never had to hold the 20D for so long).

I'll pop up to Argos tomorrow with the camera and let them send it off to Olympus. :(

Lack of grip was the major con for me when deciding, I'm used to the grip as my bridge cam has a nice chunky one, even though the cam is very small [the grip holds 4 x AA batteries so it's nice weight too]

Will definitely consider an Oly if the Sony deal falls though though, they are quite a nice looking camera and I am used to smaller sized bodies coming from using nothing but p&s cams for years.

Advertisement