Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Q235 steel for bicycle frames?

• 20-03-2010 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I was wondering would anyone know what the quality is like for Q235 type steel when it comes to bicycle frames?

A supplier has told me that that is the type of steel their frames are made from, and I wanted to see if it was known for it's strength, or the opposite.

Any tips appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Never heard of it, but Mr. Google seems to suggest it is a Chinese standard....
    What is the bike, and who is the supplier?
    TBH, if it's not either a good Columbus or Reynolds branded steel bike, then I wouldn't go near. It may be just as strong, just as light etc etc, but for long term value and re-saleability, then the above two brands are the only way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

I think that Q235 refers to the steel composition ( American ASTM standard). I think it is plain carbon steel, the sort that that standard run of the mill bikes sold here 15 years ago were made from, so in this climate it will rust. A much better choice would be cro-moly steel referred to as 41--
    Plain carbon steel tubing seemed to drop out off fashion in the past few years in mass produced bikes being largely replaced by Aluminium alloys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

All steel framed bikes will rust here - even cro-moly composition.
    You'd have to be looking at 953 stainless to get ultimate anti corrosion protection.
    Mind you, what with the amount of salt they are starting to use on the roads here.....

Advertisement