Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bones for my dog

Options
  • 20-03-2010 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a butcher in Limerick that would be able to give me beef shin bones for my dogs? I've tried a few places but no joy. I don't mind paying for them.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

boomerang wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a butcher in Limerick that would be able to give me beef shin bones for my dogs? I've tried a few places but no joy. I don't mind paying for them.

Thanks! :)

i am having same problem here, they are not allowed sell bones, even though they are not for ourselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Cant sell them in case some human starts gnawing on them and chokes...:eek:

The pet supermarkets allways carry a cheap range of boiled bones normally get them for my German Shepard. ( or at least thats what I tell them !! ) Yum...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I fella I know who keeps hounds used to get big bags of bones from a Butchers in Raheen. If it's illegal for them to do so, I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate me putting up the name.

Old Mother Hubard,
    Went to the cupboard,
    To get poor Rover a bone,
    But when she bent over,
    Rover took over,
    And gave her a bone of his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

My butcher gives me bones for free and he advertises on his display in the shop not to forget your doggies. If it was illegal I'm sure he wouldn't be doing it. Now I only get small marrow bones as I have a Westie, not sure about the bigger bones.

My butcher gives me bones for free and he advertises on his display in the shop not to forget your doggies. If it was illegal I'm sure he wouldn't be doing it. Now I only get small marrow bones as I have a Westie, not sure about the bigger bones.
    youre lucky
    wouldnt it be a clean way for butchers to get rid of bones
    and a lot of dogs would be happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It's definitely not illegal. :)

I'd prefer the raw bones as the cooked ones in the petshops aren't as safe, splinter-wise, nor as healthy.

Superquinn will give you bones for your dog, but I don't shop there very often.

Boodlesdoodles, would you mind sharing the name of your butcher, if he's in Limerick?

Itsdacraic, would you mind PMing me the name of the butcher, if you're not happy about mentioning it in the thread? It's honestly not illegal for them to give out bones, though. Just a lot of butchers don't have bones any more as all the butchering is done at the slaughterhouse and they get in their meat already cleaved and ready to be put in portions and wrapped up.

It's definitely not illegal. :)

I'd prefer the raw bones as the cooked ones in the petshops aren't as safe, splinter-wise, nor as healthy.

Superquinn will give you bones for your dog, but I don't shop there very often.

Boodlesdoodles, would you mind sharing the name of your butcher, if he's in Limerick?

Itsdacraic, would you mind PMing me the name of the butcher, if you're not happy about mentioning it in the thread? It's honestly not illegal for them to give out bones, though. Just a lot of butchers don't have bones any more as all the butchering is done at the slaughterhouse and they get in their meat already cleaved and ready to be put in portions and wrapped up.

Boomerang I've sent you pm. You're dead right about cooked bones though, they are very dangerous due to the splintering. A bone splinter can get caught in a dog's throat for days before the problem is apparent.

Thank you boodlesdoodles, you're a gem! :o

I've only recently started feeding my dogs raw bones, as a supplement to their commercial dog food. They are both getting on a little bit now and I thought it would be a good way to keep their teeth clean. I give them fresh chicken drumsticks or chicken wings between their two meals of the day. (They say you shouldn't mix raw and cooked food together.) I have to say they took to eating the raw like ducks to water and they both absolutely adore their raw treats now! I'm looking for marrowbones or shinbones now as it will take them longer to gnaw at those than the chicken wings/drumsticks, which I hold in my grip while they chew. :)

The record for my fella and a bone was about 7 hours I'd say. He'd chew at it and stare at it intermittently! That was a quiet night in this house :D

The butcher cuts the bones to order as far as I know.

The record for my fella and a bone was about 7 hours I'd say. He'd chew at it and stare at it intermittently! That was a quiet night in this house :D

The butcher cuts the bones to order as far as I know.

i wonder is there anywhere i can order them, and pick them up

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »
    i wonder is there anywhere i can order them, and pick them up

I can pm you the details if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I give them fresh chicken drumsticks or chicken wings between their two meals of the day.

I had always thought that Chicken bones were lethal for dogs due to splintering into razor sharp shards that they then attempt to swallow :confused:

- As as Child I remember a Neighbours Dog that choked this way.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Phineas

Why do not you try for Pedigree?

Raiser wrote: »
    I had always thought that Chicken bones were lethal for dogs due to splintering into razor sharp shards that they then attempt to swallow :confused:

They are extremely dangerous if they are cooked, Raiser. But when they are raw the bones are soft (as the bird is so young, when you think about it) and the dogs have no problem crunching them up and swallowing them. They seem to dissolve away to nothing in the stomach as there are no shards in my dogs' poops! (Sorry! But I did check, LOL!) The only thing you have to be careful of is that your dog chews them properly - it'd be dangerous alright if they gulped them down in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

They are extremely dangerous if they are cooked, Raiser. But when they are raw the bones are soft (as the bird is so young, when you think about it) and the dogs have no problem crunching them up and swallowing them. They seem to dissolve away to nothing in the stomach as there are no shards in my dogs' poops! (Sorry! But I did check, LOL!) The only thing you have to be careful of is that your dog chews them properly - it'd be dangerous alright if they gulped them down in one go.

Thanks for that clarification.

- Would you think of editing your original post to make that clear? Could be dangerous to someone's Pets if they ever read it and gave their Pooch a cooked Chicken carcass for a treat!

Advertisement