Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice On A Budget Build

Options
  • 20-03-2010 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

I'm doing a new build for a friend on a budget. He has a case, OS, monitor, HDD's, KB + mouse and a DVD drive already. He just wants a machine for gaming. I've speced up something below does anyone have any advice on it? Would this play most recent games?
    Untitled1.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

>€600 for core parts ain't no budget build! :P

In any case, what's your mate's case like? Some high-heat parts involved here!

The CPU is okay. Not a i5-750 but decent enough. Very high heat output though! If your mate is thinking of OCing this part you'll need a powerful CPU cooler like the CM Hyper 212 Plus or Scythe Mugen 2.

RAM is very pricey.

Graphics is okay, but that's a steep price for a HD5770. If you don't intend on major OCing (including overvolting) you don't need an Asus; a €130 Sapphire/Club3D will do just as well if you're not overvolting it.

PSU is also fairly strong; if you're not doing super-high-end OCing you could easily drop that to a decent 550W model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭TheRiddler

Solitaire wrote: »
    >€600 for core parts ain't no budget build! :P

In any case, what's your mate's case like? Some high-heat parts involved here!

The CPU is okay. Not a i5-750 but decent enough. Very high heat output though! If your mate is thinking of OCing this part you'll need a powerful CPU cooler like the CM Hyper 212 Plus or Scythe Mugen 2.

RAM is very pricey.

Graphics is okay, but that's a steep price for a HD5770. If you don't intend on major OCing (including overvolting) you don't need an Asus; a €130 Sapphire/Club3D will do just as well if you're not overvolting it.

PSU is also fairly strong; if you're not doing super-high-end OCing you could easily drop that to a decent 550W model.

The case is pretty old but would he need to get a new one does it make a difference? I've added an i5-750 which does seem better then the AMD.

I doubt there will be any overclocking/overvolting done so I don't have to worry about that. With the HD5770 would he be able to play recent games like Batman, COD etc. at a reasonable setting? Here's the update spec:
    Untitled3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TheRiddler wrote: »
    The case is pretty old but would he need to get a new one does it make a difference?
    Yes and no. What model / make is the old case? Do you know what the airflow is like? How many fans suck in the air, and push it out? No point if you get lots of shiny fans in the case, if the air doesn't go anywhere...

Advertisement