Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evangelion 2.0

Options
  • 20-03-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

I know a lot of boardsies must have been at the screening of this in the IFI.

I'm not much of an anime fan,but this literally blew my mind.Defeintely justified the remake with this.

opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As a big Evangelion fan, it kind of gave me the same mind splatter effect End of Evangelion gave me - in other words, I loved it :) Lots of fan service, plus the changes made to the overall narrative are very sensible. The action sequences have upped the ante alot (loved the new Angel designs - creepy) and the character changes definitely make it a far less grim than the main series.
    Not sure about the addition of the new Child, but I think giving Asuka a more central role in the berserk sequence makes more sense than having Toji take said beating - it worked in the series, but limiting the characters in the films makes a little more sense.
    Apart from the oversexulisation of the female characters on occasion, the weird Engrish at the start was the only major issue I had.

Distressed we'll have to wait so long to see the next two volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Really enjoyed, the visuals were a class act. Engrish at the start was quite funny but was kinda expected.
    Not sure I like this new character. It's a little too much change for my liking!

Overall I was really pleased and will look forward to 3.0 with enthusiasm.

Anyways no doubt I'll see 3.0 before Bakemonogatari 15 is ever released :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Thought it was fantastic. It definitely was very different from the original but I think that all the re-tellings of the series deepen our understanding of the entire concept of 'Evangelion'. The visuals were, of course, amazing and the new angel designs worked well.

I like the story and character changes so far. It seems to have got to a climax very quickly though but I'm excited to see how it'll all end up. No problems with Mari really but I'm interested to see what will happen to her in the subsequent films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I must say I was very surprised by it. I expected a shiny new rehash of the old plot but got so much more.

Plus the amount of comic relief was an unexpected bonus. The scene with Shinji and Kaji - brilliant.

Its going to be a long wait for 3.0, or even for 2.0 to come out on DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

I thought it was so, so good. Same as what other people've said before i just expected some nice new animation but i was totally blown away. Simply cannot wait for 3.0, i know it's gonna be a loooong time :(
    i almost thought they'd killed Asuka and was in shock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 GuardianDemon

Loved it. Hands down, amazing !! Shame i wasnt able to stay for a drink with some of the boards people, but i had a bus to catch!!

Eva2.0 blew me away !! T'was fantastic !! Can't wait for 3.0 !! (When is that due anyway ??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

When is that due anyway ??

Its still TBA :(

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

I am still on a high buzz after seeing it and properly will be for awhile.:P I really liked it. I am really drawn to Mari as she is crazy and reminds me abit of Rip van Winkle in Hellsing or Harliquinn.
    Funky wrote: »
    i almost thought they'd killed Asuka and was in shock

I was happy that
    Asuka didn't die, as they where rumours all over the internet saying that she dies
    Asuka's entrance into the film was amazing and I loved the Gunbuster/Diebuster reference. I loved the humour too and the reference from the first movie when Asuka comes out of the shower in Misato's apartment. I like the way Rei is more human and involved too and there was more of Pen Pen. I miss some of the music from the original and hated it the movie ending on a cliffhanger. Now we have to wait one to two years?..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

As a complete Evangelion noob, seeing 1.11 and 2.0 as my first taste kind of blew my mind.

Intense. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I miss some of the music from the original and hated it the movie ending on a cliffhanger. Now we have to wait one to two years?..
    I actually prefered the music from the second one,the new ending theme is great.

If you saw the teaser at the end it kind of spoils the next film a little,at least we know what happens afterwards,If I had missed the teaser I would have called that finale fairly good closure over all

I don't think any of that is a spoiler?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I actually prefered the music from the second one,the new ending theme is great.

If you saw the teaser at the end it kind of spoils the next film a little,at least we know what happens afterwards,If I had missed the teaser I would have called that finale fairly good closure over all

I don't think any of that is a spoiler?

I just remember thinking at the end of 2.0
    Holy crap, we're on Third Impact already??
    . The fact that it showed
    Kaworu halting Third Impact with the Lance
    after the credits, gives a little more scope for what could possibly happen. Didn't think the trailer spoils the next film at all, kinda just gives us a taste and keeps us guessing. The fact that there's 2 more films kinda proves that it's in no way over.

I just can't wait for 3.0!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Nice to see it on the big screen, and I enjoyed it on the whole, but I think the series/End of Evangelion is still far preferable.

The music sucked, the new character added nothing, and the action scenes were a lot sillier than those from the show.
    And they were too frequent, TV show was better paced - are Angel attacks a daily occurrence?
    There was a lot of other niggly stuff I didn't like, too.

Kinski wrote: »

The music sucked, the new character added nothing, and the action scenes were a lot sillier than those from the show.

I somewhat agree. I liked the music from the original series but I don't dislike the music in Rebuild. I prefer the fight scenes in the original. I don't know if it just me but I feel that the Evangelions look fatter. I mean in the original they had a real slim, attractive female body but in Rebuild, they look liked they put on weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I somewhat agree. I liked the music from the original series but I don't dislike the music in Rebuild. I prefer the fight scenes in the original. I don't know if it just me but I feel that the Evangelions look fatter. I mean in the original they had a real slim, attractive female body but in Rebuild, they look liked they put on weight.
    I think that was to make them look more human,they were very tight around the waist in the series the new look ones are more in human proportions.

and to be fair the action may seem a bit more common in the films,but over all it will be a much shorter running time compared to the series,with the amount of plot they have to cover

I think that was to make them look more human,they were very tight around the waist in the series the new look ones are more in human proportions.

and to be fair the action may seem a bit more common in the films,but over all it will be a much shorter running time compared to the series,with the amount of plot they have to cover

Yeah. I didn't find the part when
    Shinji is forcred to kill Asuka's Eva because it is an angel
    as disturbing as the original but I think that was down to the fact, I have seen it before. Could be the same with the fight scenes. I really liked the idea of the song played in that scene. It was clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

As an Evangelion fanboy I was smiling from when Unit-01 went berserk.
    Personally, I like how they've made an effort to include Kaworu more, he was neglected in the main series.

Craguls wrote: »
    Personally, I like how they've made an effort to include Kaworu more, he was neglected in the main series.

I agree, I liked the way he is more involved. He was one of my favourite characters.

Advertisement