Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are my onions seedlings dying?

Options
  • 20-03-2010 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi, I planted onions seeds about 2-3 weeks ago , they germinated well in a propogation tray and have grown to about 3 -6 cm, I have taken the lid off the propogator and have watered them finely every day. the tray were left on top of a kitchen unit that had average heat and some but not too much light,,now my issue is some of the seedlings are standing perfectly upright and some are lying down and Im not sure if there dying or not,im not sure if im overwatering but when I check them daily the top of the soil is quit dry so I water them,Ive decided to move them to a sunny window sill to see if that helps,.As you can probably realise Im a grow you own newbie,,Any tips on what to do would be majorly appreciated..:):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hey - sounds like your seedlings have grown leggy, reaching for the light, and subsequently fall over and die because they're stretching too far.

It's a really, really common problem with starting seedlings off inside the house - unless you have an extremely well-lit space, they don't get enough light and end up stretching for what little is available.

There is a tricky medium between starting off in a propagator to get a head-start over the weather, and then shifting the seedlings outside successfully. They can suffer from too little light, the change in temperature when you move them outside can kill them off, some seedlings don't take well to being transferred outside, so on, and that's not even to start on over or underwatering.

Onions, I'd plant them out - sow where they're to grow. They'll take longer to germinate, but they WILL eventually germinate, and then you just protect the furrow to help them come on strongly and they'll do well - you can try a simple cloche on sticks to keep the frosts at bay and deter the birds from the young seedlings.

As it stands, with the ones you have - relocate to lots and lots of light, and monitor your water levels - soil should be moist without being soggy.

Advertisement