Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sports horse stallion advice please

Options
  • 20-03-2010 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi
    I am new to this site and after some help please....
    I have a Dutch WarmbloodxTB mare who I have had a foal from 5yrs ago (by Accondy) he is lovely, but with 3kids under5yrs I have decided I must sell him. I plan on putting her back in foal this time to either have a foal to sell, or keep for me when the kids are all at school. However I have looked at so many stallions I don't know where to go!
    I would have loved to use Accondy again, but he's dead and I;m not sure how great frozen semen is?
    I now toying with the idea of: Ontario (although he is BIG), Rubin Star N, Future Illusion, or a pony stallion to breed a 15,2hh show horse. (my Accondy is 15.3 and if an inch smaller would have been perfect)
    Although I have always evented, I can see the appeal of dressage, esp with little people in tow.
    Thanks for all your help and advice in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

Frozen semen can work very well. However, you need a vet who really knows what he's doing, and it can be very expensive to breed using it, as so many scans, hormones, etc can be needed.

There are loads of good stallions around. You missed the big stallion parade at Glenamaddy Equestrian centre, but there is one at Cavan on March 30th. Stallion parades are good places to take a look at a number of stallions in one place.

I can think of a number of good stallions, but without seeing your mare and knowing her breeding, I couldn't begin to recommend one. You need a stallion who is strong in places your mare may be weak(and who tends to throw those strong points), as well as one who is correct overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

I would be slow to breed to sell at the moment, unless your mare has excellent performance credentials. People are struggling to give horses away at the moment, especially unproven youngsters. Breeding small will limit your chances of sale further as you can't do that much with a 15.2 really.

So I would be inclined to say only breed if the foal wil be for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

I would agree that breeding to sell as foals isn't a great idea in this economy. Foals of almost any breed in Ireland are currently only bringing a few hundred euro, and even very good foals are only selling for 1200 or so.

I completely disagree that there is no market for 15.2s. I sell 15.2s all the time to the many many adult women who are not comfortable on a pony, but who don't want to get up on some big tall thing. They compete in hunter trials, dressage, jumpers, everything, and do very well. There is a good market there for oversized Connemaras as well. I sell more 15.2s than anything else.

Advertisement