Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waking up paralysed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭rebecca 30

I have been having this since I was a teenager and now I can control them somewhat, They are very scary and always feels like someones in the room with you , you cant make any noise and feels like its going on forever, I thinks your brain wakes up before your body.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

i have had this quite a few times on my arm.

it happens to me when when i sleep on it for a good while basically through out the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭johanz

rebecca 30 wrote: »
    I have been having this since I was a teenager and now I can control them somewhat, They are very scary and always feels like someones in the room with you , you cant make any noise and feels like its going on forever, I thinks your brain wakes up before your body.
    Yes that's what it is. Half of your brain is awake, but other half is actually asleep, and that's why you hallucinate. Either visually or by sound.
    In theory you can "wake up" if you stop breathing while paralyzed. But I heard it doesn't work for some. If it works, it's all good, but if it doesn't, pray you don't get paralyzed while sleeping face in pillow. You might suffocate.
    i have had this quite a few times on my arm.

it happens to me when when i sleep on it for a good while basically through out the night.
    This is totally not the same. Your arm just goes numb because there hasn't been enough blood flow. It's not related to sleep paralysis at all.

-
    I personally never have my paralysis on random. If I want it, I have to force it.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

Suffered it on three occasions in the one night, must be a record.

It seems to be getting worse with time.

Benny Lava wrote: »
    Suffered it on three occasions in the one night, must be a record.

It seems to be getting worse with time.
    First of all, why are you even waking up 3 times in one night?

• Advertisement

johanz wrote: »
    First of all, why are you even waking up 3 times in one night?

I don't know. It's quite rare that I will stay asleep for nine hours straight.

I don't know. It's quite rare that I will stay asleep for nine hours straight.
    I can still sleep 12+ hours without waking up(if there are no kids screaming outside)

But I'm scared that as I'll grow older, I will lose this ability (I am 18)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Trust me, as you grow older you'll be glad to lose that ability!

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Trust me, as you grow older you'll be glad to lose that ability!
    Sleepless nights doesn't sound like something to be glad about.

I'm not talking about sleepless nights, but sleeping less than 12 hours straight. Sleeping that long depresses me.

• Advertisement

I'm not talking about sleepless nights, but sleeping less than 12 hours straight. Sleeping that long depresses me.
    I said I can, it's not like I always do. I normally sleep 9. But I like sleeping long, because sleep feels good.

I always feel terribly lethargic after sleeping excessively.

I feel less refreshed than I would if I got up after six or seven hours and gulped down some coffee.

I always feel terribly lethargic after sleeping excessively.

I feel less refreshed than I would if I got up after six or seven hours and gulped down some coffee.
    Maybe I sleep so well because I don't drink coffee, hehe

Then you'd have to define sleeping well, it's extremely different for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

yep i've experienced this and its not pleasant. I will attempt to breath heavier and roll over on my side in an attempt to wake up. i have also tried to call out to another family member when in a state of paralysis..I'd be completely conscious. its not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Thibor

I've only ever had this happen to me 4 times.
    The 4th was me testing a theory as to what triggers Sleep Paralysis.
    First time I was no more than 6 or 7 and I started seeing things, completely freaked me out, but I eventually put it down to a bad dream (I know now that wasn't the case)
    The next 2 times were years apart, but both around times when I was exhausted, 3rd time I realsied that each time was when I slept on my back.
    So, A few months back I tested the theory out and went to sleep lying on my back, and yep, it happened again. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I concentrate on moving my little toes, after a few seconds it works, and I rol over and go back to sleep.

Read up a fair bit about it since, quite an interesting subject

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

This has happened to me about 3 times. It really is terrifying! For me it's only ever lasted about half a minute, but considering I am unable to breathe or scream or anything it feels like forever. Not a sensation I'd wish on anyone, though it's apparently common enough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Used to get it the odd time, probably once every month before my Nan passed away last October.

Since then haven't got it at all. They say its when a evil spirit is trying to take you over, reason why you have to 'fight' to regain control.

Nan up there protecting me tho :D

Mak_United wrote: »
    Used to get it the odd time, probably once every month before my Nan passed away last October.

Since then haven't got it at all. They say its when a evil spirit is trying to take you over, reason why you have to 'fight' to regain control.

Nan up there protecting me tho :D
    Actually you don't have to "fight".
    You can just wait and it will be gone, just takes a bit more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

This has been happening to me for a few years doesn't seem to be as frequent. If it happens me once in a night I can normally feel myself slipping back into it when attempting to go back asleep, I usually end up sleeping with my light on if this happens as it really scares me:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 julies boy

hi
    i am not an expert on this subject but this dose sound like a
    rem sleep problem rem sleep dose bring on a state being paralised
    some people were saying that exams stress etc were a triger(time frame)this would make sence as this increases the level of rem sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ultra noir

every now and again i get an episode, they are all different so each one frightens me at some stage. i got my first one when i was 14, a good 15 years ago and many inbetween, not enough for concern but enough all the same. usualy, i sense something, a presence which alerts me to my paralysis. i used to freak out and try to scream but it was in silence until i bolted up. now i kinda go with it but without making the decision at some point i will get worried as i know its not right. i can logicaly think about the situation but i always end up screaming with nothing coming out of my mouth. ive experienced the black shapeless masses in the corner of the room, an old man sitting in the chair beside me, tapping, a force on top of me in a sex like motion and a young boy standing in my room. i have also experienced great pain in my shoulder like an interval assalt, elevation of my legs and underwater drowning. i know what it is when it is happening but i just panic at some point and i know im in bed, i know im paralysed, i know its my dream in my room and i know there are people in other rooms that could pull me through it if they hear me, even though i can hear myself that i am not making a sound other than a muffled noise.

ultra noir wrote: »
    every now and again i get an episode, they are all different so each one frightens me at some stage. i got my first one when i was 14, a good 15 years ago and many inbetween, not enough for concern but enough all the same. usualy, i sense something, a presence which alerts me to my paralysis. i used to freak out and try to scream but it was in silence until i bolted up. now i kinda go with it but without making the decision at some point i will get worried as i know its not right. i can logicaly think about the situation but i always end up screaming with nothing coming out of my mouth. ive experienced the black shapeless masses in the corner of the room, an old man sitting in the chair beside me, tapping, a force on top of me in a sex like motion and a young boy standing in my room. i have also experienced great pain in my shoulder like an interval assalt, elevation of my legs and underwater drowning. i know what it is when it is happening but i just panic at some point and i know im in bed, i know im paralysed, i know its my dream in my room and i know there are people in other rooms that could pull me through it if they hear me, even though i can hear myself that i am not making a sound other than a muffled noise.
    Yes hallucinations do appear very real. Worst of all, most of the time they are nightmares.
    SP is just a "dream" but you are awake while dreaming, thus hallucinating a lot.
    Ever wondered where people get the idea for being abducted by aliens? Well, here is the answer, strong hallucinations. Though feeling pain is not entirely normal. That means something is wrong with your shoulder.
    Pain in dreams is always real. If you feel pain in a dream, that means your sleeping body feels it. The dream just creates an environment for this pain (usually something biting or shooting you, but can be anything that causes pain).

When I had an SP, some faceless person used a saw to cut my leg off. I was in terrible pain. Then in the morning I saw my leg was blue and swollen in that part. I went to doctor and found out that seemingly harmless fall to the ground caused internal bleeding and a lot of swelling.

So yeah, if you get any injuries from dreams, they are not from dreams. A dream can only warn you about it but it can't cause you harm.

I would love to meet someone who also goes through sleep paralysis! Every time I mention it to anyone they just look at me like I have two heads. Some people don't believe me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 julies boy

one of thetheiries on scitsofrinea is along the lines of both parts of the brain (daytime mode and dreem state) are active at the same time hence voices in their heads and hluiations seem real i am not saying its the same thing but their is something their:D

I would love to meet someone who also goes through sleep paralysis! Every time I mention it to anyone they just look at me like I have two heads. Some people don't believe me at all.
    Agree. When I told this to my parents they refused to believe me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭drnmalone

i had this when i was younger in my early teens its a weird feeling woke up but couldnt move my body so jus lay there and relaxed. never mentioned it to any one as i suffer from a lot of other slepp problems like talking ,sleep walking and i some times have serious hallucinations in my sleep not a dream but ive oftem benn standing in the room shouting at someone or fightin off something my partner get freaked out as she says i some time get extremely vicious with what ever im hallucinating about.
    sorry for post being so long:P

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭drnmalone

one other thing when i was younger my mum used say shed call me and i would sit up eyes open and have a full conversation with her shed leave thinkin i was up come in like an hour later call me again and i would have no recall of the conversation

drnmalone wrote: »
    one other thing when i was younger my mum used say shed call me and i would sit up eyes open and have a full conversation with her shed leave thinkin i was up come in like an hour later call me again and i would have no recall of the conversation
    That is rather normal. Unless it happens very often.
    I had that multiple times during my childhood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭boarduser1980

oide10 wrote: »
    I awoke but i couldn't move, i didn't even know where my hands were i.e by side, under my pillow...I felt as if there was someone near the bed peering down at me and leaning towards me. I started hearing a buzzing in my ears
    this happened to me about 13yrs ago,i was in bed fast asleep, next thing i woke up but i couldnt move, i felt the presence of someone walking into my room and getting onto my bed, i tried to scream , my lips moved but no words came out, i could hear really loud buzzing noise in my ears and the sound of a room full of ppl all laughing, i could see my alarm clock on my locker but couldnt reach it as my hand was also paralysed. Lucky enough my mother was putting washing on the rads in the hall and when she turned the light on in the hall suddenly my body regained full movement. i jumped out of the bed and ran out to her. it was so frightening, i was bout 17 at the time.

it has happened to me a couple of times since.

Advertisement