Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waking up paralysed

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Adzee

Jeez Im afraid to sleep now haha , when you awake can you talk ? if so I believe I could explain to someone , could it just be that you are stiff ?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭johanz

Adzee wrote: »
    Jeez Im afraid to sleep now haha , when you awake can you talk ? if so I believe I could explain to someone , could it just be that you are stiff ?:pac:
    No, you can not talk. Most you can do is move your eyes.
    Hence why sometimes you want to scream but can't. Because most of your face is paralyzed too and that often translates into dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 titsmahgee

jesus im fair glad to see this thread, something along the same lines happened to me about two years ago, and when i attempted to explain it to people they just presumed it was a dream or i was making it up,
    Anyway i woke up paralysed in my room and my eyes were open but i could not move them, from the side of my eyes i could see an old woman(i think)leaning over me, i could not see what she (or he) was trying to do, i would say it lastede a couple of minutes before i could move and even then i was scared ****less to look around the room.
    took me a long time to get over that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 spongelob

This happens me nearlly once every month! It only started this year tho and everytime it happens im terrified, always get the feeling that there's something putting pressure on my whole body and find it hard to breath, try to talk/shout but nothing comes out. About 2 month's ago it happened again but I could'nt tell if I was awake or asleep it was as if something had dragged me out of my bed and again i could'nt shout so nobody could help. This is terrifying everytime, does it happen many other people?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

URGH! This happened me on Saturday morning was wrecked tired so that wouldn't have helped matters.

Crashed in my mates bed after a night out and on the wall past the end of the bed is a large poster of Batman....I had my glasses off so basically I'm blind and all the colours of the posters meshed into what looked like to me.... a blurry CLOWN. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

It freaked the living sh*t out of me. Opened my eyes and saw this clown thing staring at me. Like it wasn't on the wall...it was like a real clown like someone real in the room standing there. Knew my (silly blind) eyes were playing tricks on me but at same time it was sooo real it scared the hell out of me. Also knew that I seriously couldn't move and that part was real.

Kept opening and closing my eyes and the clown started to freak out as he knew I had seen him, which freaked me out!!!

I tried shouting for help but couldn't and all I could manage was a very weak..."no.....no....!" It took all my energy to try and move my lips. Closed my eyes and felt like crying as there was nothing I could do, was f*cking horrible :mad: That feeling of helplessness and fear is unreal.

I'd say it all took about 2 minutes in total from opening my eyes to actually being able to move.
    Rushed downstairs to my mates as quickly as I could!

Have always been freaked out about having a dream about a clown and been seriously freaked out about the idea of waking up paralysed........then for the first time ever I get both happen at the one time!! Arrrrrggghhhh :(:mad:

From now on......proper nights sleep in my own room ALWAYS.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a pleasant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭s08t

Glad I found this site.

I would get this every couple of weeks, although I didnt get it now for a while. THANK GOD!

mostly it happens to me, if I ever wake up and try to get back to sleep but it can happen anytime. I would wake up and my whole body would be, as if it was locked, im not able to move a muscle, I am able to hear but cant open my eyes.

I be lying there thinking please wake up. Im scared if someone comes into the room just in case id panic and make it worse.
    My twin sister gets it as well but no one else in the family. She gets the exact same thing but she'd get it more often than me. She says as well when she gets it she'd feel a presence in the room.

I looked it up and thought it was locked in syndrome but from reading this thread maybe it is paralysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

s08t wrote: »
    Im scared if someone comes into the room just in case id panic and make it worse.

It probably varies from person to person but in my experiences if someone makes a noise it will snap me out of paralysis instantly. I remember once I was having paralysis and then I heard a knock on my door and straight away I was freed from the paralysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Little Miss Sunshine

Very interesting to hear everyones experience of sleep paralysis. I have experienced this for as long as I can remember. (Im 27) At first I was really frightened by them. But after a bit of research I have kinda managed to control them. I can get them anything from 2-3 nights in a row to once a month. I tend to know when I am going to get them now, usually when Im over tried or after being watching tv in bed or working on my laptop etc
    I have experienced all different types some short and some long which can be very scary. I have had the feeling of someone walking into my room usually someone I know like brother or sister. And Im shouting at them to wake me up. I also get ones where there is a really loud noise in my head and my ears are ringing. Another one is the feeling of someone above me pushing down on my chest. If I have one of these dreams I have to get up and walk around and splash water on my face to wake myself up, if I go straight back to sleep I will have another one. To avoid having them I try not to watch tv in bed etc and also not to lie on my back as they usually happen when I do. Other than being over tired I dont know what causes them....not stress for me! Im very laid back! I read here that trying to wriggle your fingers can wake you up from one. Im defo going to try this the next time it happens! Also very weirdly I never get them when I sleeping next to my boyfriend I stay over with him a couple of night a week and never have them then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

I've become so aware of sleep paralysis that last night I had a dream about it! It was quite surreal and reminded me of the film Inception.

A couple of weeks ago I woke up at around 11 am and had paralysis. It occurred again at about 12.30 pm and I was tempted to get out of bed but was still quite tired (I have a very messed up sleeping pattern) so I turned on the radio in the hope that it would keep me awake. Instead I fell asleep and paralysis didn't occur again. If you read one of my earlier posts you will see my theory on external noises and if this applies to you too then leaving the radio on could be the solution. It would be a big change and would require adjustment but if you really hate paralysis it might be a viable option to leave the radio on all night. I know people who do so and they don't suffer from paralysis.

Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭xTanyax

Has anyone ever heard of the "Old hag" Just google it for more info too.
    Here's a link: http://sleepparalysis.dnswh.com/what_is_sleep_paralysis.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

this happens to my dad and my aunt. he says its one of the scariest things to happen. he says he's afraid to stop fighting against it and relax incase he doesnt come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Little Miss Sunshine

xTanyax wrote: »
    Has anyone ever heard of the "Old hag" Just google it for more info too.
    Here's a link: http://sleepparalysis.dnswh.com/what_is_sleep_paralysis.htm

Ill be afraid to sleep after reading this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i've suffered from sleep paralysis for years and it is so scary. the room would look exactly as it was in real life, but only my husband would be walking in and talking to me but i couldn't talk back as i was paralised. when i was released from it, i would then wake up and realise he was never there at all but the room was exactly as i'd seen it in the "lucid dream"!

i found after a while that i would only experience sleep paralysis IF i had woken up for a while in the morning and gone back to sleep - whilst laying on my back!

for example, say i were to wake at 5am and be awake for a half hour and then fall asleep again - if i was laying on my back, i would get it. if i was on my side i wouldn't. very strange!!! so i always make a mental note to lay on my side if i wake up during the night and it's been aaaaaaaaaaaages since i last had an episode. it sounds weird, but it does work for me!

i've suffered from sleep paralysis for years and it is so scary. the room would look exactly as it was in real life, but only my husband would be walking in and talking to me but i couldn't talk back as i was paralised. when i was released from it, i would then wake up and realise he was never there at all but the room was exactly as i'd seen it in the "lucid dream"!

i found after a while that i would only experience sleep paralysis IF i had woken up for a while in the morning and gone back to sleep - whilst laying on my back!

for example, say i were to wake at 5am and be awake for a half hour and then fall asleep again - if i was laying on my back, i would get it. if i was on my side i wouldn't. very strange!!! so i always make a mental note to lay on my side if i wake up during the night and it's been aaaaaaaaaaaages since i last had an episode. it sounds weird, but it does work for me!
    Heh, that sure sounds rather creepy.

Yeah, the best way to initiate into SP is to lay on your back and don't move. I personally never had SP without me having to force it, but when I force it, I lay on my back and don't move. I am not sure why but it doesn't work when you sleep on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

johanz wrote: »
    Heh, that sure sounds rather creepy.

Yeah, the best way to initiate into SP is to lay on your back and don't move. I personally never had SP without me having to force it, but when I force it, I lay on my back and don't move. I am not sure why but it doesn't work when you sleep on the side.

LOL why would you want to force it? It's so freaky! :p

Advertisement