Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket on the landing.

Options
  • 20-03-2010 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks. I want to put a socket on my landen. I know what I need. As my walls are studs I will be using the stud box. I only have room for a single but I only want it for a night light.

What I am stuck for is tips on fishing the cable. I can drill into the hot press and run the wire up to the attic but its sending it down to the socket in one of the rooms.

Any tips on doing this or better suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Floorboards an option?

If it was for a light switch i would go with going to the attic, but with the socket being low down, you would have to open the plaster half way down to get through the bridging piece. You might end up doing this, but look at others angles first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Davy wrote: »
    Floorboards an option?

If it was for a light switch i would go with going to the attic, but with the socket being low down, you would have to open the plaster half way down to get through the bridging piece. You might end up doing this, but look at others angles first.

Interesting. But it is a problem. I have laminate floors in the room. What I could do is look at a temporary fix where I actually run the cable for the socket through to the hot press out the other side and look at takeing up the beading and push the cable in. Will think of it some more.

Thanks for the tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Hi Folks. I want to put a socket on my landen. I know what I need. As my walls are studs I will be using the stud box. I only have room for a single but I only want it for a night light.

What I am stuck for is tips on fishing the cable. I can drill into the hot press and run the wire up to the attic but its sending it down to the socket in one of the rooms.

Any tips on doing this or better suggestions.

Thanks

Once in the hot press you might be able to remove a skirting board in one bedroom which passes existing socket and run new cable behind that, sometimes there is enough space behind very bottom of skirting, but if not you could cut small holes and fish it along to existing socket position then replace skirting. Or lift floor boards if accessible. or into attic and down inside wall but will almost certainly have to get past one or maybe 2 cross pieces as said by davy.

Or call out electrician.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Once in the hot press you might be able to remove a skirting board in one bedroom which passes existing socket and run new cable behind that, sometimes there is enough space behind very bottom of skirting, but if not you could cut small holes and fish it along to existing socket position then replace skirting.

Or call out electrician.

I actually have no problem calling an electrician but I find my ways time consuming and more neat if you understand me.

Removing the skirting is not an option. however i dont mind surface mounting in the room if i have to,

I actually have no problem calling an electrician but I find my ways time consuming and more neat if you understand me.

Removing the skirting is not an option. however i dont mind surface mounting in the room if i have to,

You might be more neat than some alright, but not all. Some do have the goal of doing it as if its their own house, it would`t be too hard to cut out squares right above the skirting so, and fish along to existin socket, usually you can do it on either side of the wall, either in same room as existing socket or in room on opposite side of wall, whichever is going to have less impact. And then re fix the squares you cut out. Bit of work in it, but that will be i good job if done well. If its painted wall then just repaint the repaired cuts, if paper you can peel up bottom 2 inches and re stick. But if a surface clipped job is good enough then go for that. But does`t sound like the time consuming more neat way to do that.

But down inside the wall would be more handy then anyway needing only 1 or 2 wood pieces to get past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

ok from what i gather u can get the cable to the attic the prob is getting it to an exsisting socket,

heres what id try do first knock the power off to all upstairs sockets for safety,next find a socket in a room that has just one cable at it (ie) socket with just one brown one blue and one earth,next tape a waste bit of cable /rope/steel wire(draw wire) securely onto this cable leaving enogh slack to go up into attic and still have plenty sticking out in room,head into attic locate this cable and gently pull it up into attic untill waste piece u taped on appears,next tape securely the new piece of cable onto this now using friend/wife/girlfriend ask them to gently pull on the waste piece sting out in room to pull down the two cables and hey presto hopefully ur done now reconnect socket turn on power and test new socket for power.

just make sure u tape cables very tight before pulling them into attic and back down as u dont want them coming apart

pdiddy wrote: »
    ok from what i gather u can get the cable to the attic the prob is getting it to an exsisting socket,

heres what id try do first knock the power off to all upstairs sockets for safety,next find a socket in a room that has just one cable at it (ie) socket with just one brown one blue and one earth,next tape a waste bit of cable /rope/steel wire(draw wire) securely onto this cable leaving enogh slack to go up into attic and still have plenty sticking out in room,head into attic locate this cable and gently pull it up into attic untill waste piece u taped on appears,next tape securely the new piece of cable onto this now using friend/wife/girlfriend ask them to gently pull on the waste piece sting out in room to pull down the two cables and hey presto hopefully ur done now reconnect socket turn on power and test new socket for power.

just make sure u tape cables very tight before pulling them into attic and back down as u dont want them coming apart

Socket cables usually go into the flooe but I will check. Thanks

Socket cables usually go into the flooe but I will check. Thanks

Yes they nearly always do for the upstairs sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

well personally ive never ran socket cables in the floor for up stairs,if its a two storey ill always run them into attic and then down the partions or if its a dormer house id normally run the cables along the side attics

pdiddy wrote: »
    well personally ive never ran socket cables in the floor for up stairs,if its a two storey ill always run them into attic and then down the partions or if its a dormer house id normally run the cables along the side attics

Well any 2 story ones ive had anything to do with had wiring done to upstairs sockets from the floor up. And rewiring them this is the way i would do it. Floor boards have to be lifted upstairs anyway so it would be far more work surely to bring each loop into attic and back down when rewiring a house. In a new house it`s probably depending on the house design, a bungalow is a different setup as they really have to be wired from attic down. I dont remember many sockets upstairs coming down from attic, but most of my work was industrial anyway, but i have put in plenty of new sockets into existing houses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

normally i wire them up to 1st floor sockets

unless theres separate ground floor/1st floor metering where it's better to segregate the cabling

then i'd drop all 1st floor stuff down

Advertisement