Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston....

Options
  • 21-03-2010 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I know this is the wrong forum but i cant seem to get into the United States forum so i thought id take my chances n post here! .. :)

So a group of friends and i have finally decided on Boston for the summer, the thing is i have my US Embassy Interview soon, and im just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this type of interview, if so have ye any tips that may help me? What type of questions so i expect to be asked i know i have to dress some way formal for the interview im wondering should i go full blown job interview style or dress it down a lil bit...

hopefully someone will be able to help me, any tips or advice is greatly welcome! :D

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I know this is the wrong forum but i cant seem to get into the United States forum so i thought id take my chances n post here! .. :)
    You are in the North America forum, which includes Canada, United States, and Mexico, and in the right forum. You are most welcome to post all your questions about USA here, and to interact and join our posters here!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Hi, I worked in the states for 3 months 2 summers ago and the interview really isn't what it sounds like. I basically just went up to this little desk like a cashier in a bank, handed them my papers, and they asked me a couple of questions like "why are you going" and "how long do you plan on staying". It takes like 5-10 mins, but the wait beforehand will be much longer :P. It might be different depending on the type of visa you are applying for, but i doubt it. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

I went for a interview regarding a visa for studying over here in college. Very simple questions were asked:

Where are you going, what is the purpose, do you have a place to live, Do you have financial income

Dont need to dress anything to fancy, but make sure you looks a bit respectable. The interview really isnt noting, just take it easy and be honest and its a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RightlyRandom

Joneser wrote: »
    Hi, I worked in the states for 3 months 2 summers ago and the interview really isn't what it sounds like. I basically just went up to this little desk like a cashier in a bank, handed them my papers, and they asked me a couple of questions like "why are you going" and "how long do you plan on staying". It takes like 5-10 mins, but the wait beforehand will be much longer :P. It might be different depending on the type of visa you are applying for, but i doubt it. Good luck :)

Ill be going on the J1 Visa, but i think the interview may be basically the same ive been told that it will only last 3/4 minutes at max. hopefully all will go well! :)

Columc wrote: »
    I went for a interview regarding a visa for studying over here in college. Very simple questions were asked:

Where are you going, what is the purpose, do you have a place to live, Do you have financial income

Dont need to dress anything to fancy, but make sure you looks a bit respectable. The interview really isnt noting, just take it easy and be honest and its a breeze.

Ok cool, sounds pretty straight forward so! :) .. ok neat dress, jeans n a nice top.. yes or no? or will i go along the lines of a wearing black pants kinda like suit pants but not as formal if yah get me? ha n a top? sorry if im being odd just dont want to mess up! :/ ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

In the Embassy you're standing at a window talking to someone, the only thing they can see is above your stomach. Just as long as you're not dressed like a skank or a homeless person you should be fine. You know, shave, wash your hair whatever, just make sure to be polite.

lil_lisa wrote: »
    In the Embassy you're standing at a window talking to someone, the only thing they can see is above your stomach. Just as long as you're not dressed like a skank or a homeless person you should be fine. You know, shave, wash your hair whatever, just make sure to be polite.

ah ok cool :) i was here thinking they bring you into a room and you get severly interrogated haha but thanks that takes a load off! :D one less thing to worry about really! ha

Advertisement