Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop already had username

Options
  • 21-03-2010 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I bought a new laptop and after I created my first document I realised that i already had a username- anne.

I've brought it back to the shop as obviously I bought a new laptop but obviously someone called anne has already used it.

But they keep putting me off, saying that it must have been a display maodel and someone called anne must have set up an account when they were browsing in the shop.

I bought the laptop on the 25th of Feb, and the account username - anne was set up on the 18th of Jan.

There were no other documents on the computer- but is there any way I can trace any documents that were deleted before I bought it?

Would appreciate your help- as I'm going back into the shop on Monday and I wanna have as much as proof as possible- so they can't give me any more excuses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

You can recover deleted items (so long as the data on the disc hasn't been physically written over) using apps such as recuva etc.

In this case, it doesnt really matter. If you bought and paid for a new laptop, thats what you are supposed to get. They can't sell you a display model unless it's advertised as such. So the fact that there is a pre-existing account on the computer means they've sold you something thats not 'as described', and they are obliged to put it right.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

When you first booted the laptop did it load straight to the desktop or were you asked to set up a new account? You can view existing user accounts via the control panel. If someone else has used the machine there should be an account there.

Also have a look at the event logs. Type Event Viewer in the Start menu search.
    Here you can see the Windows system logs and see when the machine was used and for what.

If they're selling you a display or returned model you shouldn't really have to pay the same as a sealed boxed machine. At the very least they should offer you a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

You can recover deleted items (so long as the data on the disc hasn't been physically written over) using apps such as recuva etc.

In this case, it doesnt really matter. If you bought and paid for a new laptop, thats what you are supposed to get. They can't sell you a display model unless it's advertised as such. So the fact that there is a pre-existing account on the computer means they've sold you something thats not 'as described', and they are obliged to put it right.
    Plus display models are usually cheaper so if they did sell you a display model you should have gotten it cheaper than a brand new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 curly wurly

thanks.

I've checked the log files and there is some action in 2009- I presume that was the manufacturers installing stuff. and on 26 of Jan when the account username was set up.

There was quite a lot of activity right up unti the 7th of Feb. Then it is blank until I got it on 18th of Feb.

I tried the recuva aswell but there doesn't seem to be any documents or files before I got it.

I'm not sure what this means.

With that kind of activity it may have been returned by someone.
    Have you checked the application logs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 curly wurly

I'm not sure what I should be looking for under the applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You thought you were buying a "new" and unused laptop. There was a user account created on it on your first boot up of the machine. Therefore it had be used previously, whether that be as a display model or whether it had been bought and returned. Unless it had been sold as a display model, or a return you're entitled to a new laptop, or money back.
    I'm going to move this thread to consumer issues, as it's not really an issues with a laptop, but rather an issue with the shop you bought it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

As others have stated, unless the laptop was described as used or second hand when you bought it, you have a right to bring it back and get a brand new one or a refund. You are covered under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 which states goods must be as described.

If the laptop was not described as used or returned or second hand or display model, bring it back. Print out your rights as they are on the www.consumerassociation.ie (or consumerconnect.ie) and speak to a manager of the shop. Brand new laptops do not have user accounts created before you open them.

Edit: I just noticed the timeframes. You've waited almost a month to go this far. That might be seen as acceptance of the fact. Go and speak to a manager anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

When you check the event logs (run> eventvwr.msc or from control panel administrative tools) then don't forget to save each log on say a USB key so you have evidence of what went on. The shop might ask to "evaluate" the machine and do a system restore and they say there's nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I wouldnt accept a display model at all. Why should you?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what I should be looking for under the applications?

You would see further data pointing to the machine be used. So you might find activity in Internet Explorer or even connections to wireless networks under DHCP. You can use this as evidence that the machine was used by someone else, especially if the logs are occurring outside opening hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

should be easy to find out
    check if there are any wi-fi networks in the wifi card managing software
    also check the temporary files etc and browser history

dont know what it wil achieve thouogh

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

But if the OP bought it as new and they've already said its a floor model then he doesn't have to prove anything.

Unless he was advised this upon sale (and hopefully given a discount) then he should be seeking a refund or replacement with a new item (unused)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i could see going to the hassle if the laptop was damaged in some way but id just continue if the laptop was perfect in every way

for extra safety maybe could reinstall windows but if its running perfect i wouldnt bther

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

'Oh, so you sold me a display model without telling me then, 20% discount pls.'
    'No, were not going to do that'
    'Then I am returning the item, I'll take a new one please as that is what I bought.'
    'err OK, heres you cash. Take one of these home massage kits too as way of an apology. Thank you, come again.'
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

delllat wrote: »
    i could see going to the hassle if the laptop was damaged in some way but id just continue if the laptop was perfect in every way

for extra safety maybe could reinstall windows but if its running perfect i wouldnt bther
    Out of principle, if I paid for a laptop I believe to be brand new, then I would expect to be given a laptop that is brand new. Even if it functioned flawlessly, to me, it is not what I paid for.

In the place where I worked previously, which incidentally also sold laptops, we never sold or handed out goods that were not factory sealed, as new stock - if it had been returned and opened, we took it back with a restocking charge and then always sold it on with a discount and clearly marked to anyone buying it that it was not "brand new" stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ryanmatty

A very good thing to do is to run an IT AUdit of the pc. THis will list every thing to do with the computer and also when this account anne was set up. Use the following link and download it. Then just unzip it and run the executable. Then save the file.

http://www.pxserver.com/WinAudit.htm

Advertisement