Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DRUNK AND DISORDERLY FINE AFFECT VISA

Options
  • 21-03-2010 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

WILL A DRUNK AND DISORDERLY FINE AFFECT CHANCES OF GETTING AUSTRALIAN VISA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I think it's a prerequisite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 clearyoreilly

SORRY Can you explain what that means:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,431 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I think it's a prerequisite.
    SORRY Can you explain what that means:confused:

He was doing an AH joke, implying that the Aussies are a shower of drunked disorderlies who would ipso facto make it compulsory for all visa applicants to have similar character deficiencies.

For a serious answer to your question .... I don't know.

Maybe ask on this board, the Aussie / NewZealand travel board (Also known as the 'travel 12000 miles to work in a field and shag people from the same town you were born in' board.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1121

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is the OP looking to go to Australila to play poker???:rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

I love this thread :D

• Advertisement

WILL A DRUNK AND DISORDERLY FINE AFFECT CHANCES OF GETTING AUSTRALIAN VISA

no.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I moved this from the Poker forum - hopefully it will find some better replies here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 clearyoreilly

thank you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

thank you:D

a fine or a charge against your name?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Convictions are the only thing that would screw you on that front, Trafic fines or Breach of Peace Fines dont really affect the Visa process unless they are lookin for really specific reasons to deny you entry, but a Recorded conviction would mean a definite NO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Convictions are the only thing that would screw you on that front, Trafic fines or Breach of Peace Fines dont really affect the Visa process unless they are lookin for really specific reasons to deny you entry, but a Recorded conviction would mean a definite NO

No it wouldn't. I know a few people who have had to jump through a few extra hoops, but got a WHV with a conviction.
    It would be a bigger problem for sponsorship or residency obv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

No it will not. Only a conviciton will effect entry to Austrailia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Evolute wrote: »
    No it will not. Only a conviciton will effect entry to Austrailia

Not unless they check. Which they almost certainly wont. I know a few illegal lads who have been arrested here for public order or drugs whilst illegal, let go and are still here. Ive known of several people who served prison time in Ireland, England and France who got their WHV. Ive been here over a year and have never heard of anyones mate from home being denied their first year one.

Remember, its Australia FFS, chronic disorganisation is part of the culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    No it wouldn't. I know a few people who have had to jump through a few extra hoops, but got a WHV with a conviction.
    It would be a bigger problem for sponsorship or residency obv

Not necessarily I have a friend who had been convicted (Found guilty in court) for Drink Driving and then Drunk Disorderly (separate offences) showed up on his penal certificate.

He was Sponsored for a 457 and got his PR with out question about any of it.

DIAC states that you will fail Character Stipulation if you have a substantial criminal record for example if you have served over 1 year of custodial imprisonment

The character test

A person will fail the character test where:

they have a substantial criminal record
    they have, or have had, an association with an individual, group or organisation suspected of having been, or being, involved in criminal conduct
    having regard to the person's past and present criminal conduct, the person is found not to be of good character
    having regard to the person's past and present general conduct, the person is found to be not of good character
    there is a significant risk that the person will engage in criminal conduct in Australia, harass, molest, intimidate or stalk another person in Australia, vilify a segment of the Australian community, or incite discord in the Australian community or in a segment of that community, or represent a danger to the Australian community or a segment of that community.
    See: Fact Sheet 78 - Controversial Visa Applicants
    Substantial criminal records

A person is deemed to have a substantial criminal record if they have been:

sentenced to either death or life imprisonment
    sentenced to a term of imprisonment for 12 months or more
    sentenced to two or more terms of imprisonment (whether on one or more occasions), where the total of those terms is two years or more
    acquitted of an offence on the grounds of either unsoundness of mind or insanity and, as a result, the person has been detained in a facility or institution.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Substantial criminal records

A person is deemed to have a substantial criminal record if they have been:

sentenced to a term of imprisonment for 12 months or more

So while the DIAC are trying to pull in paddys at the airport who told a fib about their farmwork if they leave and return to Australia, they would be happy to let in a skilled worker who had just served, say, 5 of a 9 month sentence for glassing someone in a pub back home after, according to the criteria, having maybe 5 previous charges ending in suspended sentences etc etc? Because only getting locked up several times makes you a substantial criminal?

This country really does defy belief sometimes when it comes to organising things.

Not unless they check. Which they almost certainly wont.

Remember, its Australia FFS, chronic disorganisation is part of the culture.

What happens if they do check? Like they did on the 2nd WHV.... you would probably end up in the little white room with Officer Ross http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lak6dy8ngw

If you don't declare it then DIAC will have reason to cancel your visa for providing false information but if you told the truth they might have given you the benefit of the doubt.

They are not as disorganised as you might think.
    So while the DIAC are trying to pull in paddys at the airport who told a fib about their farmwork if they leave and return to Australia, they would be happy to let in a skilled worker who had just served, say, 5 of a 9 month sentence for glassing someone in a pub back home after, according to the criteria, having maybe 5 previous charges ending in suspended sentences etc etc? Because only getting locked up several times makes you a substantial criminal?

This country really does defy belief sometimes when it comes to organising things.

To be honest Ireland probably have a similar policy .... you would have to declare your criminal record and someone makes a decision. They would have a similar guideline or yardstick for gauging character.

What happens if they do check? Like they did on the 2nd WHV.... you would probably end up in the little white room with Officer Ross http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lak6dy8ngw

I reckon that was filmed around Christmas/ New Year. The DIAC like to put out the story that they are scrutinising every single Irish applicant and pulling in everyone at the airport. Fact is, they cant keep this up. They havent got the manpower. Its a scare tactic.
    If you don't declare it then DIAC will have reason to cancel your visa for providing false information but if you told the truth they might have given you the benefit of the doubt.

They are not as disorganised as you might think.

Of course they are disorganised. This is AUSTRALIA ffs. As said I have never once heard of a first time applicant being refused, and have known several lads who served time in Europe and the US. I did see one episode of Border Security where a yank lad with his Aussie missus was interrogated for hours because of his conviction for manslaughter in a bar brawl.

How did they find out? The stupid fcuker admitted on his application before coming that he had served jail time.

They still let him in and all. :pac: Fackin heaps good!

How did they find out? The stupid fcuker admitted on his application before coming that he had served jail time.

They still let him in and all. :pac: Fackin heaps good!

Well since he admitted it he did the right thing..... he told the truth... like I said Ireland probably have a similar policy and its all down to discretion of immigration.

I think you are sending out the wrong message on these boards encouraging people to lie about character... To be honest its people like you that ruin it for others.

I am not a stickler about rules since I have bent a few in my time but rules are rules ......and for majority of us who took the time to do the thing correct in the first place we would hate to be tarred by same brush as people with the same attitude as idiots like yourself. Poor old Declan Deely flew the whole way to Sydney to be deported because some clown like you probably told him that DIAC wasn't going to check his application....... waste of time & money.

If Irish people did what you are saying then we would all be classed as a HR (High Risk) country like India & Pakistan because of prevalent use of fraudulent information.

India and Pakistan cant get WHV for that reason.

I think you are sending out the wrong message on these boards encouraging people to lie about character... To be honest its people like you that ruin it for others.

People have free will, but I wouldnt advise anyone to take farmwork that hasnt a set hourly rate.
    I am not a stickler about rules since I have bent a few in my time but rules are rules ......and for majority of us who took the time to do the thing correct in the first place we would hate to be tarred by same brush as people with the same attitude as idiots like yourself. Poor old Declan Deely flew the whole way to Sydney to be deported because some clown like you probably told him that DIAC wasn't going to check his application....... waste of time & money.

If Irish people did what you are saying then we would all be classed as a HR (High Risk) country like India & Pakistan because of prevalent use of fraudulent information.

India and Pakistan cant get WHV for that reason.

For starters I never bent any rules, I did my construction bit. But demanding people undertake slave labour is not on Im afraid.

People have free will, but I wouldnt advise anyone to take farmwork that hasnt a set hourly rate.

Very funny

I wasn't talking about Farm work.... I was talking about your attitude that its ok to lie about having a criminal record because DIAC would never check it.

Pure BS!!! They do check it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XFtSp26a68

For starters I never bent any rules, I did my construction bit. But demanding people undertake slave labour is not on Im afraid.

same as above .....I wasn't really talking about the type of work but more your general attitude towards the authorities in Australia, I bet when it comes to yourself you would make sure everything is done correctly.... but at the same time give the impression to others that immigration are a bunch of idiots.

Giving other people ideas as not to do the correct thing on these boards is not cool.

• Advertisement
Advertisement