Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural Born Quitter

Options
  • 21-03-2010 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Right, time to start a training log.

First off the title - it refers to many plans and subsequent failed attempts at fitness (among other things!) in some form or other.

The latest effort (before this) was last autumn when good intentions finally got the better of me and I got out running after years of becoming weaker and fatter behind a desk.

It ended in a really bad case of shin splints, followed by a few months of returning back beyond square one. On reflection I was guilty of too much, too soon (bit of over enthusiasm) and not listening to my body.

I also truly didn't understand how terribly unfit and weak I am. Now I do.

On a positive note, I started again recently. Did one of those ubiquitous off your lazy ass to 5k programmes. It's been tough at times, but I have really enjoyed the runs, getting to 5k early.

I'm carrying bout an extra stone/stone and a half. Progress has been slow, but it's a while since my first 1.5 mile run knocked the stuffing out of me.

Learning as I go - with the aid of the forum, some great stuff in there. Started looking at the logs this week too (very helpful/interesting), which is why I decided I should start one.

Anyway, I'm almost 28, male and, as of next week I shall be training for the Strawberry Half Marathon in Enniscorthy in June.

Figure I needed a goal, so why not be ambitious? And, to be honest, and predictable, if I manage that I'd love to have a crack at the Dublin City Marathon this year.

Motivation is not currently an issue. Major problems I need to address - a terrible diet and lack of strength. I know what I need to do and will start this week now that running has commenced (not doing everything at once and having it all end in tears and wispas was part of my sensible strategy this time around!).

Shin splints are always an issue, but resting properly and stretching will ward them off, please God. Three runs a week is my limit right now.

So in April I will begin the Hal Higdon Half Marathon novice plan leading up to the Strawberry Half Marathon - seems impossible right now given how I feel a mile in to most runs, but I am feeling optimistic nonetheless!

Tomorrow I will be going for a long, slow run. Well all my runs are slow (my one pace is still 'Jesus Christ, just keep going'), but this one will be long for me. Four whole miles.

Sorry for going on!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Changed my planned slow four mile run today cos I felt good!

Sun was shining, nice sea breeze, so I said why not try run a quick 5km, seeing as I never did a race at the end of the training programme.

Flat and gentle declines to 4km point and then gentle incline to finish. Tough at start, but felt better towards end.

Got it done in just under 25 minutes pushing myself, which I am happy with. Then I headed out onto the beach itself and (with a strong sea breeze at my back) jogged a pleasant three km back to my car.

For the first time had stuff ready there to get into me to refuel and I think this has also contributed to what was an enjoyable outing.

Have twinges and aches in the lower legs, but then I always do. Won't know 'til tomorrow morning really what (if any) damage I did!

Will decide then, based on how they feel, whether to go out Tuesday or Wednesday night. If Wednesday, I'll do some cross training on Tuesday night instead.

Legs weren't so bad tonight, so I headed out on the pavement for a three mile run.

First time out in the rain so far - strangely for this country of ours! Aiming to do it in under 30 minutes and got there with 25 seconds to spare (even if I did have to kick on towards the end!).

Felt good tonight, still struggling to a varying extent on all my runs, but I'm struggling less I reckon.

I could just feel that little bit more in the tank tonight, I don't know if it's just confidence from Sunday's run or what.

It was 'only' three miles, and slow ones at that, but up to a couple of weeks ago three miles had been my aim in training. Looking forward to Thursday now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

Best of luck with the training man. Looks like we're at about the same level and starting training logs at the same time so ill be keeping an eye on your progress!

Woke up with a bloody Achilles strain in my left foot. Not too bad, but can really feel it. And I thought last night had gone well.... I just can't go near the bloody roads it seems. Even for three poxy miles.

Anyway, going to try be clever here for once. Last year I ignored oncoming shin splints and it was a disaster in the end. Going to give tomorrow night's planned run a miss for sure and see how I feel at the weekend for Sunday's planned run.

Still, silver lining of sorts, I realised running three days, resting four, is not enough to build a strong base for a half marathon so I went to the gym for some cross training.

Did half hour on bike, went off and stretched for a while, then did another half hour. 20 km in total at easy level. Might go back tomorrow and look at getting a weights routine together.

Anything to distract myself from being stupid and going for a run... Pissed off, but hoping this won't last long.

Achilles still sore, couldn't run today, tried a few light jogs in vain, but I may just get this looked at now. It's getting worse since I was out Tuesday, How, I don't know. Frustrating doesn't even come close to describing my feelings right now.

Took the dog for a walk instead today so I'm counting that as cross training! Seriously though, it was an absolute killer walking around today, which was the best of the year for running by some distance.

Sun was shining, nice and warm, but a cool breeze... I was absolutely sickened. Was just dying to cut loose.

Anyway, 13 weeks to the half marathon, my 12 week training plan has to start this week as I will miss a week in the middle. Going out Tuesday night for an easy three miles - it will be a week since my last run at that point.

I don't care how much it hurts by then, no way can I leave it more than a week, I'm only at the 5km stage and it's a long way to 21km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Good luck with the training, South: 5k in 25min is a good pace.
    On the Achilles strain, how old are your runners? During one past attempt to get fit I was limping for days between jogs, and I realise now that the £20 pumas that were a couple of years old when I started jogging were probably the problem.

Thanks LionelNashe, think the runners are okay. Ya, felt I had got to an okay pace on the short distances, hence my desperation to keep going, so......

Went for some myopractic muscle therapy tonight - torture! ****ed now, including my arms - from bracing myself and gripping the table, big baby eh?!

An hour of unending pain, all for my own good of course. Seems my right leg was 25 mm (that's an inch to you and me) shorter than the left, which was leading to all sorts of problems.

Also all muscles were very badly contracted from hips down. Said I was a recipe for serious injury, torn hamstrings etc, if I kept going unchecked. Was very surprised to hear I hadn't lower back pain too.

Anyway, said he's going to sort me, but I can't go back running 'til after third visit at least. And there has to be five days between visits or else he'll just be working on bruises from the last day.

I'm upset that I'm sidelined for at least two weeks, but hopeful that this will make me stronger, more injury proof long-term and I'm now planning on getting going on my diet and maybe some upper body strength work so I keep my momentum in some shape or form.

Second session tonight, he reckons my legs are getting better and are now pretty much equal in length. which is great.

Still got lot of pain in Achilles so he focused on that area tonight - pleasant it wasn't.

Hope it begins to come right soon, getting anxious now I'll be right back to square one, struggling to do a couple of miles slowly,

After a week of mainly eating lots of junk and feeling sorry for myself, I finally got some cross training in last night. Did 30 km slowly on the exercise bike, easy level.

The whole diet and weights plan is still on hold!

Plan to get into gym again (and do some rowing with cycling this time) over the weekend and will definitely be heading for a long walk. Third session next Thursday, just praying my foot starts to heal now.

Woke up with less pain than I've had, first time I can say that since I hurt myself. Hopefully, I can say it every day now and get back running soon.

Did another 30 km spin on the exercise bike today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hope you're ready to get back running soon! I'm enjoying reading your progress!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Sorry to hear about the injury but good work on the cross training in the meantime! I thought I'd never be able to walk again after my back went into spasm playing tag rugby about a year ago and it was horrible. Bit of physio, TLC and patience got me back on track though! You still have plenty of time until the strawberry...thank god (for me anyway!!:D)

Thanks for the encouragement, it's badly need at the moment!

Did an hour of cross training earlier, ten minutes rowing, forty on the exercise bike and ten minutes on the rower again to finish off.

Took it handy enough. Third session at the myopractic clinic on Thursday evening so I'm hoping to God for a run of some sort this weekend.

If I don't get out this weekend and get back into my stride quickly I'll never make the Strawberry Half - will be a struggle now even if I do get going at the weekend.

Otherwise, I'm getting way too much food and not enough sleep!

Another hour of cross training. Losing my mind.

Did another hour earlier/last night. Just took it easy in the bike. 30 km.

Third session at myopractic clinic at 11 a.m. Will rest up after it, stay off the beer tomorrow night (probably, maybe, hopefully) and get out onto the beach on Sunday for my first run since March 23.

That's the plan anyway. Have not given up on this Half Marathon yet, as unlikely as it's now looking.

Chin up and keep plugging away!

Good luck with the physio, rest up for the afternoon and go enjoy a beer tonight!!

Then at some stage tomorrow do a slow easy 20 min run on the beach. Take it easy and build it back up again. You still have plenty of time. Strawberry is 11 weeks away - plenty of people seem to go from nothing to half in 12 weeks and you already have a base!

Just got my timetable for my final set of professional exams and they start the monday after the strawberry so I don't know what i'll do now. I'll have to have a think!! I'll keep training anyway!

That's bad timing alright claralara, but when you're hitting the books hard the running will become even more beneficial.

I guess the race itself is the issue for you, but you could always be home in the early afternoon to hit the books!

Even God took a break from work on the seventh day :)

Very rough session again earlier, but he says I'm improving every time - I better be!

Got the all clear to come back slowly and surely so I'm delighted with that. So I will be heading to the beach tomorrow, hope it's as nice as today.

Funnily, I'm excited, but also nervous about how hard I'm going to find it, been so long since I ran. And nervous that I won't be right after - that would be a crushing blow.

Ah positive thinking! Back to Real Madrid-Barcelona now and a few beers later. Carbo loading I think I'll call it.

Oh, and best of luck to everyone in Connemara tomorrow!

Back in action. :)

Couldn't have wished for a better day for my comeback run, after a long three weeks on my ass going mad to get out.

Was truly beautiful. Went to the beach and probably went out a bit hard, a combination of pent up frustration at not getting out, the weather, running with music (which I hadn't been doing previously).

But I quickly slowed down! Not exactly fighting fit. Did five miles in around 40 minutes, with some wind assistance.

Nice and flat, plenty of sand so please God (and whoever else) I won't wake up tomorrow having aggravated something. Couldn't hack it. Muscles a little sore now, but I presume that's to be expected after three weeks out. It's the tendons in my lower legs that I need to worry about.

If all goes well for me that was my first 'long' run of 11 leading up to the Strawberry Half.

I put the S back in LSR today.

First run since last Sunday's, which left me with muscle soreness for days because I went pretty much as fast as I could after three weeks out and the day after my session at the myopractic clinic. Stupid.

So did nothing all week, but back out today and did five miles again, this time I did in 52 minutes. That's 12 minutes slower. Still, I was fairly tired at the end of it.

Such a beautiful day and nice run. Surely will avoid problems now having gone at that pace. Going to try get smarter about my training.

One thing that happened today, I don't know if it's the pace or what, but I got some nasty chafing. Not nice at all!

Going to try start eating right tomorrow. Plan to run every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday from here on in.

Monday: rest

Tuesday: 30 minutes easy (no idea of distance, not far)

Wednesday: 5 km - easy, hard, easy, hard, easy in terms of kilometres, did it under 30 minutes. Then walked for a while and jogged last km to car.

Next week might try for three hard and two easy splitting them.

• Advertisement

Thursday: Went to the gym for a bit of strength training.

First time lifting a weight in a long, long time. I'm weak as feck, which will be a problem as I up my meagre distances.

So didn't overdo it, light weights, not too many exercises or sets, but it's a start!

Viva la Revolution!

Friday: No time so hopped out of the car and ran for it!

Short loop, was hoping for 15 mins fast (for me!) and 15 mins easy, managed about 22 minutes fast. Prob somewhere between four and five km, closer to four!

Just wanna lend my encouragement. Good reading :) Best of luck! :D

Went for my long run in glorious sunshine today and managed my first ever continuous 10 km run.

A not to so great time of 59:53. But it's less than an hour!

Delighted to have finally got that far anyway.

Have pains in all the wrong places now as far as previous injuries are concerned.

Breaks my heart. In fact I could have kept going today only I knew it would have meant another three weeks laid up probably.

And a lower leg transplant is probably out of the question! Still, progress is being made!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

10k in under an hour! Thats my dream!:D

Well done! :)

Monday: rest

Tuesday: Knackered today. Legs like lead.

Struggled through 5km in 29.35, took a walking break and the struggled through 1.5 km in 9.07.

Was going to do 5 km tomorrow, three fast km split by two slower ones, but I'm shattered and my legs are very heavy.

Might stretch them out and go for a walk, postpone the fast running till Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

Fair play on doing the ten k. Good to do longer distances and feel like you're getting some where with your training.

Might be a good idea to take a day off if you're tired. You dont want to aggravate any injuries by overtraining.

Took the rest yesterday anyway and went out tonight.

Good idea. Few niggles in lower legs/feet, but overall I felt up to a run - unlike the last few days.

Forgot to charge the Garmin, so I worked on time, doing five minutes slow first and the five minutes of what I reckon might be my 5k pace.

I repeated this four times and then one last slow 5 mins to finish.

So 45 mins running/jogging in all. I'm guessing I did around 7/8 km.

Thinking of doing this: http://lecheileac.blogspot.com/2010/04/le-cheile-5k-road-race.html

Would be my first ever race. Got to start somewhere though and it would be good to get my first PB ;)

Great to see you back up and at it. Definitely go for that race. You're well able for it!

• Advertisement

Didn't get out for my planned LSR yesterday as I was ill, just a bug.

Woke up felling okay this morning so off I went to the beach, where there was a nice sea breeze and glorious sunshine.

Did 13 km in 1 hour 16 minutes, three kilometres more than last week, so I'm delighted with that.

Ran with someone today and I found that really helped, but unfortunately that was just a once off (we're 100 miles apart generally). Was at a pace where we could chat away.

Still though, the fact that my last two LSRs were the furthest I've ever run on each occasion is a great boost, while today was my first time spending over an hour on my feet - hope to God I don't pay for it tomorrow.

Going to walk the dog later, hopefully that will help my recovery.

Advertisement