Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural Born Quitter

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Swimming will be very good for you, particularly if you're frequently injured from running. It's probably my favourite form of cross-training, love it :) Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Thu: Legs and core workout. Same leg workout as Monday, but abs hadn't quite recovered as well, so did a little less on them.

Shamefully light weights, but plodding away.

Was supposed to have my first swimming lesson tomorrow night, but I have a date instead :)

Will definitely do it next week. Going to try get back/chest workout in before work tomorrow.

Got that back/chest work done after this morning.

Been a good week for me, got to the gym every day and cut out junk food.

Long way to go still, but I'm happy with the start this week. Don't know if it's my mind playing on tricks on me, but the shins feel better too.

Will try not to do the dog on it this weekend now, but I will be enjoying some beers and a barbeque.

Will try get a good walk in on Sunday too, before beginnning another week of gym work on Monday morning.

So I did the dog on it after yesterday!

Anyway, I got in a core workout earlier today because i know I won't have time tomorrow evening. Will be doing my legs before work hopefully.

Going for a walk with the dog now.

Legs got a pounding today. Going to regret it tomorrow morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Legs got a pounding today. Going to regret it tomorrow morning!

What did you do to them? :)

Hey dollie,

Some squats, good mornings, calf raises etc Trying put a small bit of muscle on my spindly frame and see if I can't lose the big belly too.

Come back a lean, mean running machine :)

Chest and back workout today, though I feel my shoulders are getting more work than my chest sometimes! Can still feel my abs from Sunday, but there's a certain pride in the pain!

Hey dollie,

Some squats, good mornings, calf raises etc Trying put a small bit of muscle on my spindly frame and see if I can't lose the big belly too.

Come back a lean, mean running machine :)

Chest and back workout today, though I feel my shoulders are getting more work than my chest sometimes! Can still feel my abs from Sunday, but there's a certain pride in the pain!

Sounds good. Keep it up!

Okay, just checked and the sixth was last Tuesday!

Did nothing Wednesday.

Legs/shoulders on Thursday.

Did nothing Friday.

Cross training on Saturday, aerobic workout.

Back/chest/abs today, Sunday, short cycle later on.

Diet, though a bit better, still needs a lot of work. Especially as weight is not really shifting, but then I've only done two weeks of work. I will keep working, harder, and hopefully losing weight and getting stronger will make a big difference to the shin splints issue. Can't feel them walking around now so that's good, but I'm going to stick with the current plan for now anyway.

Got bored lifting stuff. Did nothing on Monday or Tuesday.

Today I went for my first run in a long time. Just said F it and off to the beach I went.

5 mile slog in 50 minutes, legs stiff and sore, but it felt great. God I missed it.

Tomorrow morning I will know how bad I actually feel shin splints wise. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Positive news, no shin splint issues today, I'm delighted.

My calves, particularly the left one, are cramped up because I ran too far/put too much pressure on myself, but I don't care!!

The fact that the shin splints didn't flare up is brilliant. Now going to have some sense to avoid my cycle of run/shin splints/do nothing for ages....

Won't run again till my calves are right, but when I do it will be a lot less than 5 miles. Going to start very low and work my way up gradually. So low that it annoys me and I'll want to keep going? Yes. But I won't.... I promise (myself)!

Reckon two miles easy for a start and tip along from there, week by week. Will try keep up the other stuff too as I desperately need to get stronger.

Legs and shoulders got a workout tonight.

Legs still really stiff.

Chest and back got a bit of a workout tonight. And then I ate a massive chipper feed. Oh well, it's Friday!

Quick core and arms effort today. Not much, but better than nothing. Will try ramp up the effort next week, not put a dent in the belly yet!

Some cross training today. Worked up a sweat.

Oh and calves a lot less stiff, will be mad busy in work next couple of days, but aiming for a short (very short) run on Tuesday or Wednesday evening.

Monday - legs and abs
    Tuesday - chest, back, shoulders

Tomorrow evening I hope to get a run in. Thinking two miles. Legs very stiff from Monday's workout, but should be grand by tomorrow evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hiya! Good work with the strength training; sure the pair of us will be sporting six-packs in no time.. Enjoy your run tomorrow, hope the shin splints stay away!

So first day, first week of Hal Higdon's 10k novice.

2.5 miles in 23.31. Slow, but it was tough going. My left calf started to ache fairly quick, but I'm hoping a bit of stretching will have helped prevent a long recovery like the last time. No sign of shin splints yet.

Did a few sit ups too just for kicks :)

Hope to incorporate my HH programme (three runs a week) in with the weights, though I may need to focus on the basics in the weights. It was quickly clear tonight my legs have not recovered from Monday's session, which I gave them a right going over in.

Supposed to do leg weights session tonight, but they felt a bit stiff.sore so I plumped for cross training instead, legs still got a workout.

Will try stretch in the morning, before my 2 mile run in the evening. Hopefully it will be an easier run than yesterday's.

Got my second run in of my programme in today, bit over the prescribed two miles.

Due to do three miles on Sunday.

Didn't do my three miler on Sunday, twinge in the left leg, all too familiar.

Nothing all weekend or Monday actually, but did a decent cross training session this evening.

May get some weights done tomorrow. Also thinking of chancing that run now I've had a few days extra rest.

Diet is quite good now, weight still not shifting. May work harder I guess.

• Advertisement

Good luck with HH plan. I used that plan to get me ready for womens mini marathon and it was great.

Thanks Dollie.

Did nothing yesterday. Went for a four mile run and a dip in the sea after this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

Fair play with the persistance man. Not easy when you keep getting injured.
    I havent ran in months now on physios advice but my knees are getting better, Ive lost a stone and im the strongest Ive ever been.

Keep at it:)

Advertisement