Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Religion!

• 21-03-2010 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi Girlies,

Just had a chat with one of my bessies. We had a DEEP discussion on religion. She was amazed that our wee country has gone from a nation of church goers to a nation of "we are above all that" within a generation.

Caroline thinks that the media and culture industry have helped shape our views. Now she does tend to have a rather unconventional view on most things. I think that we have just adapted, because as an educated little people, especially us girlies, we soon learn from past mistakes.

I'm mad that some people are trying to cling onto the past, are they crazy? I'd prefer to spend Sunday mornings having my ME time and watching the Hills on MTV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

'Educated little people'
    'us girlies'
    'The hills'

Seriously?

Caroline is right, of course culture and media help shape people's views. I am doubtful that the issue of faith and religion and tradition and identity can be boiled down so simply to people trying to hang on to the past, it is far more complicated than that. And I say that as an unapologetic atheist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Of course culture and media help shape views, what do you think "educates" us about some of the goings on within the church which have triggered such a huge shift in public opinion?

Religion is, historically, deeply ingrained in the Irish psyche and it'll take more than a generation to change that. What forms a culture or how a religion spreads through out a country, or how cultures evolve and religions recede are complex and dependent on many factors, I think it's a little disingenuous to suggest it's merely a case of people clinging onto the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

LoopyLaura wrote: »
    I'm mad that some people are trying to cling onto the past, are they crazy? I'd prefer to spend Sunday mornings having my ME time and watching the Hills on MTV.

OMG! That is sooooooooo me!!!!!!!

As for the religion stuff...to DEEP for Sunday morning, lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

I never go to mass anymore. Yet I still tell myself each week that I will start going again. Then Sunday morning comes along and I cant pull myself out of bed. I always feel guilty about it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I don't go to mass since i was maybe 13.
    I didnt feel accepted by the church due to its stance on women. I was interested in religions as. A child but after speaking on the churchs relationship with women with the parish priest in primary school, his answers were down right pigish. I couldnt bare to see him on his alter after that and the more and more i found out i realised catholism wasnt for me.
    I bet many woman no longer wanted to stand for it either.

The abuse the church allowed to go on no doubt took the shine away as well fot many young people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

LoopyLaura wrote: »
    Hi Girlies,

Just had a chat with one of my bessies. We had a DEEP discussion on religion. She was amazed that our wee country has gone from a nation of church goers to a nation of "we are above all that" within a generation.

Caroline thinks that the media and culture industry have helped shape our views.
    Now she does tend to have a rather unconventional view on most things. I think that we have just adapted, because as an educated little people, especially us girlies, we soon learn from past mistakes.

Indeed, its turning an entire generation into "reality" tv watching morons, I'm as anti religious as they come but to say you're educated above religion then say you watch The Hills is pretty much an epic way to fail on the education point "oh my god, that incredible real moment that some tv producer set up has me on the edge of my seat!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

'Educated little people'
    'us girlies'
    'The hills'

Seriously?
    The OP is renowned troll Casey - a very sad puppy that Ireland is no longer all "dancing at the crossroads" and dirt poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Heh, I figured as much between this and the other 'edgy' post. Why do people like that bother?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dudess wrote: »
    The OP is renowned troll Casey - a very sad puppy that Ireland is no longer all "dancing at the crossroads" and dirt poor.
    And being watched for any sign of nonsense.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

On review of the threads started here that add nothing and the rereg nonsense, LoopyLaura permabanned.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

The Hills? I find both acts to be torture, but I'll take mass on Sunday every day of the week and twice on...er....Sunday. :o:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I won't touch the OP, its been done already..

But WTF is a bessie????

Edit: penny dropped!

Advertisement