Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pix.ie Vs Flickr Views

• 21-03-2010 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering is this just me, So I thought I'd ask here, Also I don't feel it's a thread specific to the pix.ie forum.

Anyway I've been using flickr , For at least a year longer than pix.ie and have now gone off it, When I was an active user on Flickr I remember breaking the 10,000 views barrier before I was even a member on pix.ie, But Today I've noticed my pix.ie views are 43837 which is almost 3 times the amount on my flickr :eek:

If anything I tag and name photos a lot less on pix.ie for reasons of which I don't know, But I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed a lot more views on their pix.ie compared to it's bigger (much bigger) brother flickr..

And does anybody know why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Do you tweet or stumble you images? that would clock up a lot of views, even Just people in passing clicking past it.

Other way round for me, I get very little views on Pix towards flickr in general, and even less comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I'm wondering is this just me, So I thought I'd ask here, Also I don't feel it's a thread specific to the pix.ie forum.

Anyway I've been using flickr , For at least a year longer than pix.ie and have now gone off it, When I was an active user on Flickr I remember breaking the 10,000 views barrier before I was even a member on pix.ie, But Today I've noticed my pix.ie views are 43837 which is almost 3 times the amount on my flickr :eek:

If anything I tag and name photos a lot less on pix.ie for reasons of which I don't know, But I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed a lot more views on their pix.ie compared to it's bigger (much bigger) brother flickr..

And does anybody know why?
    My guess is that Pixie is, as you say, much smaller and as such individuals get much more exposure on high trafficed areas of the site like the home page and explore areas...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

Do you tweet or stumble you images? that would clock up a lot of views, even Just people in passing clicking past it.

Other way round for me, I get very little views on Pix towards flickr in general, and even less comments.
    It might also depend on the number of photos that have been uploaded... A more acurate comparison would be to divide the view count by the number of public photos to get the average views per photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

It's more intimate on Pixie, I feel I know people more because they're Irish and I have also probably met some...I look at photos far more that way than on a huge world wide site that doesn't have a contimous story ala a soap such as Fair City/Corrie etc
    :)
    Bottom line is I want to look at more pics from people who I get to know so pixie makes me look at more pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Last load of shots I posted on pixie were of Dakar working. One of them stands at 193 views on Pixie, and 8 on Flickr. I use Flickr for archival purposes only really. I don't like it - it's too big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

My guess is that Pixie is, as you say, much smaller and as such individuals get much more exposure on high trafficed areas of the site like the home page and explore areas...

I think this would be one of the main reasons. I deleted my Flickr after getting involved on Pix, because it provides more feedback, less spam (i.e. "We are a group bladiebladie and would like you to join us" and I find that I get to follow our "own" little group of photogs which I find more interesting than random photogs.
    It's more intimate on Pixie, I feel I know people more because they're Irish and I have also probably met some...I look at photos far more that way than on a huge world wide site that doesn't have a contimous story ala a soap such as Fair City/Corrie etc
    :)
    Bottom line is I want to look at more pics from people who I get to know so pixie makes me look at more pics.

+1. And if you think about it, it is a big common pool full of the same photogs around the joint. I find that Pixie and Boards go hand and hand, people that were on Boards joined Pixie, people on Pixie get drawn into the "irish photog scene" and joined boards. Same with Twitter, same with Photowalks. It's an evergrowning scene (i DO really hate that word though :o), or an online community as such, where - like AR said - you feel like you get to know these people by chatting to them, tweeting and commenting/watching pics. You'll probably won't recognise eachother on the streets but nevermind.

Plus, another good thing about Pixie - Boards - Twitter :at some stage you will actually MEET all these people. (Oh god my mother would be petrified If I told her I'm meeting Online Friends, the horrors ha). You'll go on a photowalk, join a club, whatever. Play feckin Rockband toghether (and yes we did. Sinead will confirm I'm excellent base player. She a wonderfull singer. We would have never known this if it wasnt for all these wonderfull accesible platforms.)
    sineadw wrote: »
    Last load of shots I posted on pixie were of Dakar working. One of them stands at 193 views on Pixie, and 8 on Flickr. I use Flickr for archival purposes only really. I don't like it - it's too big.
    Which was a fine set. I particulary liked it because it showed Dakar in a completly different light - again, you get the feeling you "know" Dakar - and therefore a set like Sineads seems familiar.

I think that's about all I have to say for now :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Anyway I've been using flickr , For at least a year longer than pix.ie and have now gone off it,

I'm the opposite. I've been using Pix.ie for over a year and only just started on flickr. I don't like flickr at all, I'd much prefer Pix.ie.
    As AR says it's much more intimate and you feel you know most of the people on it. I too have met lots of people from Pix.ie either through photowalks, boards.ie meets or just being in the local area.

The other thing is a lot of the pictures are of places that you know and can relate to. I'm often amazed at shots of somewhere familiar that look so good when taken in the right light or a different angle. So for me it's Pix.ie all the way.

(Now Marcus, can I be a VIP? Please? Pretty please? :):):))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I only use flickr at the moment as it has a handy uploader/resizer and functionallity with animoto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Apples versus oranges; I tend to look (sorry Marcus) at both pix.ie and Flickr as being simple repositories for my master files. After some disastrous experiences with external and internal hard disks I've started to multiply back up my key photographs online. For that alone pix.ie has the definite edge; it is free, free as in beer, whereas a Flickr Pro account is (while really worth it) $20/year.

Flickr and pix.ie both have great communities. On Flickr you can find a group or other persons relating to almost any photographic interest - there is a "World of Warcraft panoramic screenshot" group. And although a lot of it isn't well-indexed on Google there's a huge repository of know-how on marginally more obscure topics: Pushing film, infrared lens compatibility, older cameras, etc. Pix.ie has a more immediate community: Social networking with other Irish photographers that you really can't find on Flickr.

In usability, Flickr wins hands down. It has fantastic batch uploading and batch editing tools; a flexible suite of publishing tools, both print and online; the ability to load almost anything you wish into a flash slideshow; geotagging; all-around polish that comes from maturity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Personally i much prefer fliickr, i originally tried pix.ie in 2007 and found it a bit poor in comparison so never really bothered with it again, Is theres still an allowance on how much you can upload?

one thing i hate about flickr is when your pro account expires, it hides all your photo's that were uploaded with the pro account so you have no access to all your stuff, even though you paid to upload it there in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Masada wrote: »
    Personally i much prefer fliickr, i originally tried pix.ie in 2007 and found it a bit poor in comparison so never really bothered with it again, Is theres still an allowance on how much you can upload?

one thing i hate about flickr is when your pro account expires, it hides all your photo's that were uploaded with the pro account so you have no access to all your stuff, even though you paid to upload it there in the first place.

That content is all still 100% accessible. All Flickr does is stop indexing/linking to it internally (I.E. on your Flickr page). If you have images bookmarked elsewhere you'll still be able to access them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Fenster wrote: »
    That content is all still 100% accessible. All Flickr does is stop indexing/linking to it internally (I.E. on your Flickr page). If you have images bookmarked elsewhere you'll still be able to access them.

And of course once you start paying your subscription again they all immediately become accessible. I mean (@masada) , what do you want flickr to do ? Just DELETE all your extra shots if you stop paying your subscription fee ? You're not just paying for the upload so much as the hosting and the service and all the features you get as a pro member. It's not as though $20 a year breaks the bank or anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

My point being that they hide them, not delete them. of course if you have links to the individual shots then they still are accessible, but who keeps all the links?

25dollars isnt a whole lot of money, my point is in relation to the photos you already have up there. by hiding all your pics when the sub is up they prevent you from switching over to a different provider (like pix.ie) as you'll have to keep the subscription up to date to access your stuff.

So your locked to flickr, if ya like.
    maybe not a huge deal for someone like yourself with only 800 photos on there to copy off, but I've over 6 thousand photos and copying all that over if i wanted to jump ship would be a pain in the face.

Advertisement